Holiday Inns generally occupy the "no man's land" between budget lodging and high quality full-service hotel. More expensive than the former and less appealing than the latter... and usually disappointing. This Holiday Inn is no exception.
The biggest problem the hotel faces is that it is an older property (early 1980s). The hotel seems to have been renovated within the past five years or so with adequate results. It is, however, time for a refresh. The rooms are somewhat dreary with insufficient lighting and so so furnishings. Everything in my room was in working order, but honestly, I have stayed in many (cheaper) Holiday Inn Express properties that felt more luxurious.
The lobby is quite nice, complete with atrium, indoor/outdoor pool, fitness and business centers, and a basic restaurant. I did not have time for breakfast, but there seemed to be a nice selection of food with reasonable prices. Given the number of good restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive, however, the hotel restaurant isn't a particularly valuable option.
Service is ok, though not terribly friendly. Be aware that some rooms face onto the atrium with no window to the outside. My room was one of the atrium rooms, and I found the lack of natural light to be claustrophobic. It's probably best to request a room facing the outside of the hotel.
I cannot recommend the Holiday Inn Valley View. There are many better options in the area at comparable or better price points. I'm not sure what the hotel's appeal is, and based on the low occupancy that was apparent during my stay, it seems that other customers are asking the same question.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Roanoke Valley View Hotel Roanoke
- Holiday Inn Roanoke Valley View Hotel
- Holiday Inn Roanoke
- Roanoke Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Hotel Roanoke is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains and is centrally located to downtown Roanoke, 2 miles off I-81 and 1 mile from the Roanoke Regional Airport with complimentary airport shuttle. The hotel has 153 oversized guest rooms. All rooms have complimentary wireless and hardwired internet access. All public areas offer complimentary wireless internet access. Our event space and outstanding service makes Holiday Inn Roanoke the optimal meeting place in Roanoke. Our Catering Director coordinates every detail of your event, making us the favorite for weddings, conferences, banquets, military and family reunions and corporate meetings. Maintain your exercise regimen in our fitness center, swim year round in our indoor heated pool or relax in our hot tub. Catch up on work in our complimentary business center at this Roanoke Hotel. We are the only hotel in Roanoke that offers a private outdoor recreational area featuring two volleyball courts, outdoor heated pool, horseshoe pit and picnic area. Unwind in our full service restaurant Passports, for a sumptuous Dinner, cocktail or start your day with a hearty breakfast. Relax, it's Holiday Inn! Area attractions nearby: Blue Ridge Parkway, Virginia Tech, Valley View Mall, Taubman Museum of Art, Martinsville Speedway, Roanoke and Salem Civic Centers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Roanoke Valley View reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.