“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Holiday Inns generally occupy the "no man's land" between budget lodging and high quality full-service hotel. More expensive than the former and less appealing than the latter... and usually disappointing. This Holiday Inn is no exception.

The biggest problem the hotel faces is that it is an older property (early 1980s). The hotel seems to have been renovated within the past five years or so with adequate results. It is, however, time for a refresh. The rooms are somewhat dreary with insufficient lighting and so so furnishings. Everything in my room was in working order, but honestly, I have stayed in many (cheaper) Holiday Inn Express properties that felt more luxurious.

The lobby is quite nice, complete with atrium, indoor/outdoor pool, fitness and business centers, and a basic restaurant. I did not have time for breakfast, but there seemed to be a nice selection of food with reasonable prices. Given the number of good restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive, however, the hotel restaurant isn't a particularly valuable option.

Service is ok, though not terribly friendly. Be aware that some rooms face onto the atrium with no window to the outside. My room was one of the atrium rooms, and I found the lack of natural light to be claustrophobic. It's probably best to request a room facing the outside of the hotel.

I cannot recommend the Holiday Inn Valley View. There are many better options in the area at comparable or better price points. I'm not sure what the hotel's appeal is, and based on the low occupancy that was apparent during my stay, it seems that other customers are asking the same question.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
nordway, General Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke Valley View, responded to this review, May 14, 2011
Thank you for your very honest feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the experiences that you encountered during your last stay with us. We are constantly finding new ways to enhance the guest experience including upgrading our rooms and fixtures. I understand that you more than likely would not stay at our hotel the next time your travels should bring you back to the Roanoke Valley, however I would again appreciate your feedback to ensure that we are always bettering ourselves if you do decide to stay.
Once again, thank you for your response!
At your service,
Neil B. Ordway, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

This is an OK Holiday Inn. Received a coupon for free drink at check in which was a nice touch. But the only beer that was "free" was not so great. If you're going to offer an amenity, don't then cheapskate so it leaves a not so great impression. I'd probably stay here again but like some of the other hotels in Roanoke better.

Stayed August 2010
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We met family at this 1/2 way point hotel. We enjoyed our stay. The front desk check in was a breeze. The employee went over all of our room options which was something I have never experienced at any hotel. Very nice touch! Plenty of room to unload and then park. The room was quite spacious with a nice size bathroom. Everthing worked well. The beds were very comfortable. We unpacked and went down to the indoor/outdoor pool and had a great time with some of the other guests. Dinner in the lobby was just OK, but we don't expect much from hotel restaurants. The next morning we ordered room service for breakfast. This was terrible and way over priced for what you get. Sis and I ordered eggs benedict and what arrived were poached eggs on a non toasted english muffin with a sliver of canadian bacon and cold potatoes. No hollendaise sauce. We called and explained...and the lady told us the hollendaise was "in the eggs, we just could not see it". Huh? So they delivered some sauce to us which was just melted butter. We had this meal taken off the bill. We were there 3 days and our room was never cleaned, towels were not replaced and toiletries were not re stocked. I found a maid's cart in the hallway and restocked everything myself. We mentioned this at check out and all we got was a nod of the head. The location is very good. There are a lot of restaurants and shopping areas close by. Be sure to visit the Star and the downtown Market area. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
nordway, General Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke Valley View, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
Thank you for your most recent response about our hotel! The level of service that you received from our Restaurant and Housekeeping department was not of the norm and I have forwarded your response onto my Department Heads for them to investigate so this will not happen again to any other guests! I truly hope that the next time your travels should bring you back to the Roanoke Valley, you will choose us as your home away from home!
At your service,
Neil Ordway, GM
Central Arizona, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

I booked this hotel because I needed a pet-friendly room in the area. While the rooms were good overall, the restaurant needed help. The service took a long time and the food was OK. On a plus note, they did allow a 50lb dog.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

We stopped here after seeing the Holiday Inn sign, it was late and raining; so glad that we did. Wanda at reception was really welcoming and efficient.

The room was a good size, clean and in good order. The restaurant served excellent food at reasonable prices. There is a coin laundry and free business centre with internet.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

My husband, mother and aunts stayed here for my uncle's funeral. Overall, it is a nice hotel. They really need to update the rooms though. Our bathroom door had to be lifted in order for it to be closed. They need to modernize the rooms, like update the tv's to flat screen. My one complaint is that the breakfast was pretty expensive and sub par. I would recommend folks to go to the K&W cafeteria which is on Hershberger for breakfast , lunch and dinner. It is affordable and good country cooking. I also stayed at the Best Western by the airport which was a MUCH nicer , remodled hotel. The Best western has free breakfast and was $30 cheaper. The only thing that was a deal breaker was that the Holiday Inn had a bar with really good drinks.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
nordway, General Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke Valley View, responded to this review, January 21, 2010
Thank you for your response on your most recent visit to our hotel. I am sorry to hear about the passing of your Uncle and wish your visit to the area could of been for a more enjoyable reason. I have shared your comments with my Management staff. We have budgeted for new flat screen tvs in 2010. Unfortunately, we are a fullservice hotel and do not offer complimentary continental breakfast. I am so sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. I truly hope the next time your travels should bring you back to the Roanoke Valley you will give us the chance to serve you and your family.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Just got back last night from a conference and yes I am very satisfied! The room is clean, bathroom is clean and the staff were commendable. We arrived around 8:00 pm and the front desk lady was awesome, She really knows costumer service. the Dining people were also great, utility guys they were all so helpful. Amenities were also great, the complimentary wireless internet was also a welcome addition. The elevator was kinda old but it is obvious that they had done a lot of work to maintain the hotel.

Cynthia R.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your great comments. I have shared them with all of our employees in our monthly employee newsletter! It make my job easier having such great employees! We look forward the opportunity as being our guest the next time you are in Roanoke!

Been to Holiday Inn Roanoke Valley View? Share your experiences!