“Don't judge the outside - very clean rooms and we'll be back” 4 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Roanoke
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6621 Thirlane Rd. N.W., Roanoke, VA 24019   |
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Atlanta, Georgia
“Don't judge the outside - very clean rooms and we'll be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

From the outside you might be skeptical because it's got the look of a motel with the doors on the outside. But inside the room, it's very clean and I loved seeing the post-it notes on each bed that said "Duvet covers and sheets are clean for your arrival" - I'm guessing this is a standard for all Hampton Inn hotels? Also nice flatscreen TV, and they have all the major cable stations incl. HBO. They also have free WIFI in the rooms, and free USA Today at the front desk.

The front desk staff were very nice, and rates are about the same as other area hotels.

Like other Hampton Inns, they have free breakfast which was pretty good - scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, waffles, muffins/danish/toast, cereal, fruit, fresh oatmeal (w/ TOASTED almonds, brown sugar, raisins), and yogurt. I also loved seeing the "To Go Breakfast" brown bags at the front desk for guests who don't have time to sit down and eat.

If you're looking for somewhere to eat for lunch/dinner and you like Mexican, definitely go to El Toreo next door. Food is good and prices are very reasonable.

FYI - Hampton Inn is located off I-81. Just take exit 143, and then take the first exit off I-581.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the first floor if you're a senior - they don't have elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Robert C, Manager at Motel 6 Roanoke, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank You so much for letting us know how your stay went while you were with us. We are happy to see that we kept our promise to you as our valued guest and made your stay a pleasant and comfortable one. We look forward to Welcoming your return stay with us when you are in the Roanoke area again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
UNIONTOWN, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was disappointed with this hotel and will go a little farther down the highway next time I visit Roanoke. It was inexpensive and a good location. I was surprised when a co-worker with less Hilton status was upgraded when he checked in to the hotel; we checked in at the same time. The hotel appeared to be a motel that was purchased by Hilton. The rooms had an outside entrance and my room was actually in a completely separate building. The room was clean and very large. The room did not have a comfortable chair or sofa but had 2 straight back wooden chairs to sit in. The desk chair was the same type of wooden chair. The front desk staff was very friendly. They had the typical breakfast but I did find it unique that they had a crock of soup each afternoon available for guests at no charge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Robert C, Manager at Motel 6 Roanoke, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback, we are sorry for the condition of your guest suite. We hope we can have another chance to show you what our warm Hamptonality is all about here at our hotel, if your travels bring you back to the area.
blacksburg, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed twice a few days apart, the first night was a good room but regulating the temperature was a job. The second stay was on the upper level and it turns out the room had been updated. The temperature was easier to regulate and several small features were updated as well. I expect all the rooms have been updated by now.
To their credit, the Hampton Inn folks are true to their words: 100% satisfaction! I had trouble flushing the toilet in the first room, I told the staff and they credited me the night for helping them fix a problem.

Room Tip: ask if it has been updated recently
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Robert C, Manager at Motel 6 Roanoke, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank You for supplying the information about your most recent stay with us. We take all our valued guests feedback seriously and continue to strive each and everyday to ensure you get the kind of service and comfortable stay you come to expect while you are with us. We do hope that when you are in the Roanoke area again, that we will get the opportunity to Welcome your return stay with us.
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The customer service was very good at this Hampton Inn. It is usually good at all Hilton brands, but this one was especially good. The only thing I suggest is that the airport entrance is further than it looks. The runway is directly across from the hotel, but the drive to the airport is about 10-15 minutes. It is a super small airport with no security lines, etc. But knowing that is good incase you are cutting it close.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Robert C, Manager at Motel 6 Roanoke, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
I would like to Thank You for letting us know that we made your stay a pleasant and comfortable one while you were visiting the Roanoke Virginia area. We are pleased to know that we lived up to our promise to you as our valued guest and supplied you with the kind of service you come to expect and deserve when you and everyone else. I do hope that if and when you are in the Roanoke area again, that we will get the opportunity to Welcome you back to our property. i do hope that you have a good day and safe travels to your next destination. Thank You once again for your feedback regarding your stay.
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My brother and I have been staying at this hotel for about 6 years and we travel another 60 miles south for the NASCAR race in Martinsville, VA.

The hotel is located off a very busy highway, within sight of the Roanoke Airport. It's a nice place to stay for a few days for two guys that are really only concerned about a clean place to sleep and get a quick continental breakfast before leaving for the day. We are always there in late October so I've never been poolside but what I can see it is a small pool area with some chairs. All the rooms are exterior doors which may turn off some people but it never really bothers us.

The hotel has no restaurant but a very good Mexican restaurant is located within walking distance. There is a Waffle House which we've never been to also within walking distance.

The staff is normally very helpful and very friendly. This past stay the staff didn't seem quite as friendly and the check-out was a nightmare when we decided to pay for our stay as two separate transactions. We were splitting the room cost and it blew the front desk guy's mind at 6:30 in the morning. I finally told him to e-mail me an invoice since we were trying to get home due to the approaching Hurricane Sandy.

The continental breakfast is decent with all types of juices, oatmeal, eggs, sausages, muffins, and a selection of bagels and breads. All in all, a nice way to start the morning without having to leave the property.

The rooms are clean and well stocked with towels, etc. The maid service always did a nice job of replacing items every night. The TV is a flat screen (about 40") with a decent number of stations in HD. There is a table and two chairs. There is also a mini-fridge and a microwave. The beds are very comfortable and I always get a great nights rest.

All in all, this is always a nice place to stay during our visit to southern Virginia.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My family and I stayed here for one night and had an excellent stay. The breakfast had everything we would want and the staff worked hard to make sure it was always fully stocked. It seemed like everyone in the hotel went to breakfast at the same time as us. It was no problem for the attentive breakfast staff. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Checkin and checkout couldn't have been any faster. At Checkin the desk clerk made sure we had some dinner suggestions providing us with a list of restaurants and their phone numbers. We would definitely recommend this property!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I flew into Roanoke for two days and stayed here since I am a Hampton Inn card member.
They have shuttles to pick you up for the airport but because I had a late flight, they said that they were unable to come pick me up and they would not reimburse me for my taxi fare (which some hotels will do when they offer shuttle services and then are not able to come and get you).
I took a taxi from the airport but the driver only accepted cash. I went into the lobby to get cash but there was no ATM and the person at the desk suggested I do to the Best Western next door to use theirs! lol. What could I do? I had the taxi take me to the hotel next door to use their ATM! If I hadn't already paid for my two nights with my hotel points, I would have just had the driver drop me off at the Best Western and stayed there.
After I was returned to the Hampton Inn, everything else was fine. My room was nice and comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was very good. And the day I had to fly out, the shuttle driver was very polite and personable. A good hotel for a quick business trip but I would recommend having a rental car or be ready to shell out for taxi's, since the location is not within walking distance of anything.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Robert C, Director of Sales at Motel 6 Roanoke, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank You for your posting during your stay with us. I am sorry if we did not have all the amenities such as the ATM that you would have expected during your stay, but we are glad to see that the rest of your stay lived up to yoru expectations.

Been to Motel 6 Roanoke? Share your experiences!