“NASCAR weekend stay in Roanoke” 4 of 5 stars

Hampton Inn Roanoke Airport
6621 Thirlane Rd. N.W., Roanoke, VA 24019   |
Ranked #16 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
“NASCAR weekend stay in Roanoke”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My brother and I have been staying at this hotel for about 6 years and we travel another 60 miles south for the NASCAR race in Martinsville, VA.

The hotel is located off a very busy highway, within sight of the Roanoke Airport. It's a nice place to stay for a few days for two guys that are really only concerned about a clean place to sleep and get a quick continental breakfast before leaving for the day. We are always there in late October so I've never been poolside but what I can see it is a small pool area with some chairs. All the rooms are exterior doors which may turn off some people but it never really bothers us.

The hotel has no restaurant but a very good Mexican restaurant is located within walking distance. There is a Waffle House which we've never been to also within walking distance.

The staff is normally very helpful and very friendly. This past stay the staff didn't seem quite as friendly and the check-out was a nightmare when we decided to pay for our stay as two separate transactions. We were splitting the room cost and it blew the front desk guy's mind at 6:30 in the morning. I finally told him to e-mail me an invoice since we were trying to get home due to the approaching Hurricane Sandy.

The continental breakfast is decent with all types of juices, oatmeal, eggs, sausages, muffins, and a selection of bagels and breads. All in all, a nice way to start the morning without having to leave the property.

The rooms are clean and well stocked with towels, etc. The maid service always did a nice job of replacing items every night. The TV is a flat screen (about 40") with a decent number of stations in HD. There is a table and two chairs. There is also a mini-fridge and a microwave. The beds are very comfortable and I always get a great nights rest.

All in all, this is always a nice place to stay during our visit to southern Virginia.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My family and I stayed here for one night and had an excellent stay. The breakfast had everything we would want and the staff worked hard to make sure it was always fully stocked. It seemed like everyone in the hotel went to breakfast at the same time as us. It was no problem for the attentive breakfast staff. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Checkin and checkout couldn't have been any faster. At Checkin the desk clerk made sure we had some dinner suggestions providing us with a list of restaurants and their phone numbers. We would definitely recommend this property!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I flew into Roanoke for two days and stayed here since I am a Hampton Inn card member.
They have shuttles to pick you up for the airport but because I had a late flight, they said that they were unable to come pick me up and they would not reimburse me for my taxi fare (which some hotels will do when they offer shuttle services and then are not able to come and get you).
I took a taxi from the airport but the driver only accepted cash. I went into the lobby to get cash but there was no ATM and the person at the desk suggested I do to the Best Western next door to use theirs! lol. What could I do? I had the taxi take me to the hotel next door to use their ATM! If I hadn't already paid for my two nights with my hotel points, I would have just had the driver drop me off at the Best Western and stayed there.
After I was returned to the Hampton Inn, everything else was fine. My room was nice and comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was very good. And the day I had to fly out, the shuttle driver was very polite and personable. A good hotel for a quick business trip but I would recommend having a rental car or be ready to shell out for taxi's, since the location is not within walking distance of anything.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Robert C, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Roanoke Airport, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank You for your posting during your stay with us. I am sorry if we did not have all the amenities such as the ATM that you would have expected during your stay, but we are glad to see that the rest of your stay lived up to yoru expectations.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I were on a ten day motorcycle trip - this was the third night, it had started raining in the afternoon so the hotel was a welcome sight. The previous night we had an unfortunate hotel experience that left us ready for a good night's sleep and we found it here. We used the pool and the whirlpool - very relaxing after a day of riding through fog and rain. The front desk was very helpful in helping us find a resturaunt that was still open and delivered. It was only pizza but it was very good pizza and we didn't have to get back on the bike to go out to get it! When you travel on a motorcycle it is imperative that you pack light, the in house laundry allowed us to return all of our clothes to clean and fresh. We had no problems with the machines or the heat level in the dryers. The room itself was clean, as was the bathroom. The wifi worked well. All in all it was a great stay, if they could only have turned off the rain before we left!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
york, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The staff was very pleasant and helpful and not rude. We were in town looking for a room and checked at the Holiday Inn first, but the desk clerk was very rude, acting like I wasn't good enough to stay at her hotel, so we kept looking. I am glad we kept looking because we were able to find a better hotel with staff that treated us great. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable. The room had a fridge and microwave, which is always a plus. I didn't hear any highway noise, and I was on the 2nd floor facing the highway. The view from our room was the Blue Ridge Mountains, which was a definite plus. Without hesitation, I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The staff were very friendly and personable. Breakfast was a good average but we had to wait for a table as there are only a few.

The pool looked a bit dirty but that may had actually been the age of it. There weren't enough towels for our family by the pool, which was odd as it was August and I think we were the only ones using it.

The place is more like a cheap motel than a Hampton Inn. Everything was dated. You park right outside your door and the fluorescent light shines into your room. The worst part was the air conditioner. It was so loud that it kept waking us up.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here after a horrible night at the hotel across the street. Much better experience all was as expected, but not the quality of some of the other Hamptons I have stayed at. This is the best hotel in this area. Better hotels can be had at the next exit down near the airport.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hampton Inn Roanoke Airport? Share your experiences!