“Exactly what I expected” 5 of 5 stars

Days Inn Airport-Roanoke
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   8118 Plantation Road, Roanoke, VA 24019   |
Ranked #21 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Oneida, New York
“Exactly what I expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

We stayed at this Days Inn on our way to Tennessee and found it to be exactly what I believe you should expect anytime you rent a room at a Days Inn.(not that it is always the case). I have had problems with other Days Inn properties once you travel further south then Virginia in the past, but have had pretty good luck at any of them that we stayed at within Virginia. This hotel was conveniently located right off of I-81, and provided two clean comfortable rooms for our family last week. While there wasn't neccesarily anything that "wowed" us, we were not paying o be "wowed". We usually look for something affordable and clean, and this definitely delivered. The only complaint I have was that the waffles in the morning tasted strange, almost sour. Other then that, the hotel was exactly what we expected. And I would definitely reccommend this hotel to anyone looking for a overnight stay while travelling along I-81, and will be staying there again if I pass through there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Norton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

My husband and I were taking the VA Bar exam in Roanoke at the Roanoke Convention Center. We had waited until the last minute to book the hotel because we were looking for the best price. The hotels in Roanoke definitely ramp up the prices because they know 1500 people and their spouses/children will be in town those days every year. A former boss recommended this Days Inn as being quiet and close to the convention center without being outrageously priced. We got the room for about $50/night. It is on a back road that leads directly to the Convention Center without having to get on the interstate bypass around Roanoke. The hotel is also right off I-81, which made it convenient to get there. Basically, there are two types of rooms at this Days Inn- the ones in the main building with interior hallways where the only way in or out was the lobby, or the extra wing with exterior entrances closer to I-81. I had requested a quiet room and so they put us on the outer wing. At first, the room seemed very nice. The sink was in the room, separated from the toilet and shower, which I think is nice. Also the room had a nice sized TV, desk, refrigerator, and microwave. Upon further inspection however, the bathroom had the old soap from the previous guest and the wrapper from old soap in the holder. We had the new soap/shampoo, so I just threw away the old soap and wrapper. Also, the one of the two double beds (doubles were like $20 cheaper per night than a king) had hair on the comforter, but it was like the hairball/fuzz you sometimes get after you dry your towels at home- so I threw that away too. Also the carpet was a little dirty in the corners, and the shower could have used a good scrub. The beds were so-so. Not the most uncomfortable, but definitely not the most comfortable. Both nights we stayed, our room was surprisingly quiet for being that close to I-81. The restaurant that used to be in the hotel has closed down, which was disappointing. The free breakfast was cold cereal and muffins, but not bad considering we were on a time crunch in the mornings. They have spent lots of money to make the lobby very clean and inviting, but have not upgraded the rest of the hotel. Also, the hotel is close to Hollins College and a GREAT and fast back way to the Convention Center, but it is NOT near anything else (shopping, restaurants, theaters, etc) they are all across town. The staff seemed very friendly except for the very last morning when I was frantically trying to check out on time to get to the test- the lady was talking with a friend/employee and took 10 minutes to get to the desk to check me out, even though she knew I was there. Also, she took her time checking me out. The pool was gross, but I didn't have the time to even think about going in the pool. For the price, it wasn't that bad- especially since there was an accident on the 585 and most people were late to the test the 2nd day because of the accident- we weren't because of the great back way to go from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Churchville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Overall it is an average place. It you want special stuff this is not the place but it is a bed at the reasonable price and we found it clean.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Checked in very late (around 1AM), but service staff was EXTREMELY friendly and understanding with a ‘can do’ attitude. First stay at a Days Inn motel (bit of a hotel snob I’m afraid!), it exceeded expectations. Do not expect the rooms to be magnificent...but they do provide all of the essentials (and, in my case, a wireless internet).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Upon entering the Days Inn, I was actually impressed by the Lobby and the nice chandelier, as well as the spiral stair case. However, the nightmare soon began... as soon as we unloaded the car and walked to the top of the staircase into the hallway to go to our ajoining rooms (#214 and #216), the first thing we noticed was that the hallways were not air conditioned at all and were extremely humid and muggy. Being that we had been stuck in a 2 hour long traffic jam on I-81, and it was 11:30 and we were all exhausted from being in the car all day, we decided on the Days Inn because it looked pretty nice. Upon entering the room, things seemed okay at first. Room 216 (where my parents stayed) seemed to be decent. The nightmare was in room 214. The bathroom was infested with ants, to the point where my two daughters refused to go in. The floor was all sticky and ants were everywhere, including in the shower. Upon examining the beds, my daughters bed seemed okay, but the sheets on my bed were pretty ugly and stained. Being so tired, i figured I could put up with that my sleeping on the "clean" side. I was on the side of the room, farthest away from the air conditioner, and it seemed as if none of the cold air blew over towards my bed at all. After laying there for over two hours sweating miserably, I finally fell asleep at 2:00am. Having decided that night, that we were going to sleep in a little later in the morning, I was not too pleased when the alarm clock went off at 7:00am and woke everyone up. None of us had set the alarm clock so apparently someone else had obviously set it. After waking and trying to take a shower because I felt so sweaty and dirty from the lack of good air conditioning, I opened the bathroom door to find that the ants had multiplied and were now also crawling in the shower up the walls, and on the actual curtain as well. I closed the door and went and used my parents bathroom in the ajoining room instead. At the free continental breakfast, things seemed to be okay with a nice selection of cereal, oatmeal, pastries, and a waffle maker. Upon looking at the pastries, I noticed that one of the doughnuts in the glass case had a very obvious long piece of curly hair stuck in the glaze of one of the doughnuts. Upon checkout, we complained about the ant infestation and was told that they couldn't compensate us because they had given us such a good reduced rate on the two adjoining rooms ($55 for each room). The only thing they would do is refund us the extra $10 we had to pay in order for our cat to be allowed to stay in the room with us. Now the real nightmare......Upon arriving at our destination, I spent a sleepless night on a nice clean bed that I put fresh sheets on, only to find in the morning dead bugs in my clean sheets in our house. Still itching, upon further examination, I discovered some more dead bugs, Lice to be more specific in my hair. This explained why I had complained to my mother that the sheets in the hotel had been really itchy and bothered me. It wasn't the sheets after all, it was the lice that was living in them! After promptly freaking out and taking a shower, and shampooing my hair several times, I had to have my family examine my hair to see what they could find. We discovered numerous dead lice in my hair, after washing it twice, so I can only imagine how much was actually in my hair before I took a shower. I am itching while I am typing and will never stay at a Days Inn again. Drive by this Days Inn on I-81 in Virginia, better yet, pay the $129 per night the Fairfield Inn by Marriott charges right next door. The only reason we didn't stay there was because they wouldn't allow pets. What a bad choice that was!!! I would write more but I need to go get rid of my lice that this hotel was kind enough to share with me.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Wytheville, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

We stayed at this hotel the night before we flew out of Roanoke Airport. I spoke directly with someone at the hotel before I reserved and was told that if we stayed on the night before our flight we could leave our car in their lot for 7 days and they would shuttle us to the airport and back again on our return. I told them we would not be staying a night on our return, that we would be staying one night total. I was told that the deal still held. When we were on our way to the airport, we again confirmed this info with the driver. When we arrived back at the airport and I called for the shuttle we were then told that they would not come to pick us up since we were not staying that night. We paid for a cab to get back to our car. Later, I tried many times to contact the hotel manager, but he did not return any calls. I complained to Days Inn corporate and they have agreed to refund our cab fare. But the manager of the hotel still has not returned a call.

We have done this many times in many cities - staying in a hotel one night and leaving the car and being shuttled to/from the airport. I always call directly to the hotel to find out what their policies are and this is the first time that I have been told one thing by the hotel front desk before reserving and then told something else when it was time for them to follow through. So just be aware that you cannot rely on any information given to you by employees of this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

We stayed overnight with our toddler. After running around on the carpet in the room for about half an hour her feet were black! The carpet was so dirty my feet were sticking to it. The room was spacious and quiet and otherwise fairly good value for money.
Unfortunately the fact that the floor was SO dirty made me wonder about the general cleanliness of the place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Airport-Roanoke? Share your experiences!