“Beautiful hotel, thin walls” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Beautiful hotel, thin walls”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

This newly renovated hotel has a gorgeous lobby with working fireplaces, a beautiful flat-panel television in the room, very comfortable beds and very clean rooms. We had a four-star experience at a two-star price.

The front-desk staff made check-in a breeze. (The front desk is a fairly long walk from the front car port and there were no porters on duty when we checked in about 8 p.m., and it's a bit of a long walk from the parking lot to the elevators.) When we left, we called down for a luggage cart, and it was brought up to our room right away.

We opted to have breakfast delivered to us rather than go down for the buffet in one of the newly renovated restaurants. The order was correct when it arrived, and it was on time. More important, it was absolutely delicious and hot, and not too expensive. (The pancakes, omelet, and Starbucks hot chocolate were standouts.)

The hotel has one of the best fitness centers I've ever seen in a hotel, with lots of state-of-the-art machines as well as free weights. The indoor pool and hot tub, though very small, worked great for us, traveling with a young child. (It also has an outdoor pool, which was closed for the season.)

I would unconditionally recommend this hotel if not for two things: The heating system in the room was obnoxiously loud -- so much so that we opted to keep the room a little colder than we would've liked at night to avoid having to hear the heat going. (Fortunately, the comforters were soft and warm.) Also, the room walls are very thin. We were awoken at 5:30 a.m. by an alarm going off in an unoccupied room next door. (The staff did turn it off within 10 minutes of us calling the front desk.) On the other side, we could hear every word our neighbors uttered. And lots of noise filtered through the door from the hallway. If the hotel had been more crowded, I'm sure it would've been even noisier.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 23, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel via Trip advisor. It is always nice to hear when we have met our guest expectations. We have spent that last year upgrading the facilities. Health Club, restaurant and all the guest rooms. The heating system is something we are presently working on, so hopefully on your next visit, your stay will be a little quieter.
Thank you again for your response, and we hope that your next visit to the Roanoke Valley, you will once again choose the Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center.

324 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

My family (wife, son, daughter-in-law, and grandsons, age 3 and 1) spent three wonderful nights in the Sheraton in Roanoke, VA. We enjoyed every part of it, but I want to single out the service of the bellman, Xavier L. Fox. He was so kind and personable to us and every member of our family, and he took special interest in our two little grandsons. He is definitely an asset to the Sheraton, and since a person in his position doesn't always receive the gratitude and praise they deserve, it's my privilege to speak up in his behalf. Don't lose him! He's one of your best assets!
John M. Mulder

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
It's always nice to hear when one of our associates goes above and beyond. You are right in saying that Xavier is one of our best assets, as he continually gets kudos from our guests on a regular basis. I was happy to read that your three nights here at the Sheraton Roanoke were pleasant, and I hope that on your next trip to the Roanoke Valley, you will again stay here at the Sheraton. And I will be sure and pass along your kind comments to Xavier.
Kharkiv, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

Cozy rooms, fitness center open 24/7 - very convenient, yummy-yummy breakfast buffet - and great friendly "you've-made-my-day" atmosphere every step you take on the hotel's carpeted grounds.
Kudos go to Glenford from the Pi Kitchen - for being such a bliss of our mornings:)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
DeSoto, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

The Roanoke Valley was beautiful, but I had no rental car to explore the Roanoke Valley, so it was a plus on this trip to have a hotel with a Starbucks on site, a restaurant with very good food, great business and exercise centers, comfortable beds, great service, and plenty of places to make yourself comfortable throughout the property. I didn't use the pool area, but it looked very nice, as I discovered when I found the ladies' room there, which I was thankful for, because several women streamed out of a conference room at the same time that the attendees at our conference took a break. I checked out and had to check back in, when I discovered our conference was going a second day. My second-floor room looked out over a gorgeous fall scene. The seventh-floor room looked out over the beautiful valley. I would return for a leisure trip.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

The staff who greeted me at the reception was friendly and very helpful in accommodating a special request. My room was very clean, and very well decorated. It appeared that my room and the lobby had been recently updated using quite nice, high quality materials. Small touches like the granite counter top in my room's bathroom were definitely nice.

Hotel architecture is almost never notable; however, this complex has a really captivating design, which is quite unusual and distinctive, but thoroughly charming. The first floor lobby area essentially consists of a series of separate spaces (for the reception area, lobby, restaurant, bar, coffee shop, etc.) that are interconnected by glass-walled corridors, that afford a view of the Asian inspired landscaping and the other areas of the lobby. The first floor has a contemporary lodge ambiance, which is really quite charming. This was certainly a very innovating approach to hotel architecture when it was designed back in the early 1980's.

This property has changed names many times. It used to be a Marriott, then it was a Wyndham, and now it's known as the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 28, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to responed to Trip Advisor regarding your stay here at the Sheraton Roanoke. We did indeed go through a major renovation, and as you mentioned, it turned out beautiful. We completed not just the public space, but everyone of our 320 guestrooms as well. Also, we have just completed our new restaurant, Shula's 347. Hopefully on your next visit you'll experience the new room. I was also pleased to learn that our staff was friendly and helpful. Again, thank you and we hope to see you on your next visit.
Respectfully,
Lynchburg,Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

went out of way to be helpful, even took luggage to rooms and helped park cars. Friendly capable and efficient. Hotel staff very good

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
I was pleased to hear how Chris helped you thoughout your stay here at the Sheraton. Chris has been a great example to the rest of the staff. He has always had that can do attitude, and it shows throughout the hotel. I want to thank you for taking the time to recoginze Chris, and hope that on your next visit to the Roanoke Valley, the Sheraton will be your place to stay.
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

My step-son's wedding was held in Roanoke. My wife decided to to stay at the Sheraton Roanoke. I glad she did. Since the wedding had her stressed between him getting married and everything going well with the wedding. We needed a place to sit back. Sheraton Roanoke provided this refuge for her. The staff was courteous and helpful, especially with the restaurant wait staff. One of the waiters, Calen Ford, took very good care of me when I was rushed in the morning trying to get breakfest and my wife out the door for a wedding activity.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 30, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience here at the Sheraton Roanoke on TripAdvisor. It's always nice to hear when our staff does a great job, especially when they help take the stress out of a very stressful time. Hopefully on your next trip to Roanoke, you will consider this your home away from home.
Regards,
Greg Hargrave

Been to Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!