“Love this hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Westport Ct
“Love this hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

My family and I thru Virginia every year with our 2 dogs and always stay at the Sheraton both ways of our trip. The first floor has pet friendly rooms and you need only to sign a wavier, there is no expensive fee added unless your pet causes damage.
The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful, I have always been greeted with a smile, the rooms have been recently refurbished with comfortable beds that I look forward to sleeping in after being in the car for 8 hours and the gym we always pass by to our room and I wish I had time to squeeze in a work out because it looks like a really nice gym!
Another perk for us is the Starbucks kiosk they have off the lobby area, it is often hard to find coffee we like when traveling on the road and Starbucks is a dependable source.
I am trying to remember the name of the waiter at breakfast, he deserves to be mentioned but his name has slipped my mind, he was very helpful and courteous. They have a buffet breakfast with eggs cooked to order, fruit, cereal, pretty typical but the pastries seemed rather "packaged and boring". If you get a rate that includes breakfast, go for it, otherwise I do not recommend the breakfast buffet for the price they charge, order off the menu instead.
My only real complaint is the noise from the hall you can hear very clearly from under the doors. Once they were having a wedding party and I heard people hanging out around the elevators, going up and down etc., for about an hour and a half. Another time someones dog heard us coming in around 11pm and we tried to be quiet but their dog started barking for about 15 minutes when we first came in our room, the front desk was very gracious offering to move us further down if it did not stop, but it did and I appreciate the offer, it was the "dog friendly floor" and I appreciate not having to be at a motel 8 just because my dogs are traveling with us!!

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 29, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to responed to the Tripadvisor site regarding your stay here at the Sheraton. We are happy to hear this has been your stop for the last few years and that you are pleased with our pet policy. On your next visit we will be sure to put you in a quiter location away from the elevators. I'll have my Food and Beverage Director look into the "packaged and boring pasteries" as well.
Again, Thank you for the nice comments, and hope to see you on your next trip through Virginia.

368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

This hotel was great! We were in town for a funeral and needed to check in well before 3 pm and the front desk staff was so accomodating! They let us check in at 1115 so we could have some time to put ourselves together. The hotel is very modern and very clean, I would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
It was nice reading your comments to Tripadvisor this afternoon,regarding your stay here at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel an Conference Center. I'm sorry that it wasn't under different circumstances. I was pleased to hear how accomodating the staff was, and hope that if your travels bring you back to the Roanoke Valley, you will consider us your home away from home.
Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We chose Roanoke as a stopover during our drive from Florida to Pennsylvania. We are so glad we did. We selected this Sheraton because it offered 2 Queen Beds, where many of the other hotels offer 2 Double Beds. We also go by the AAA ratings to get a nicer hotel. It is located near a lot of restaurants and shopping. The rooms were very comfortable. (We had a lot of stuff!) The bell hop was wonderful. Xavier Fox was helpful, and a nice greeter. As he took us to our room on the 7th floor, he gave us a tour of the common areas of the hotel. We asked for extra towels and they were brought up immediately. It's nice to have a refrigerator in the room. The flat screen TV was gorgeous. We hooked up our portable car DVD player to it and watched a movie! The health club is first rate. After being in the car all day, 3 of us went down to use the treadmills/ellipticals... and there were several! There were several other people in there at the same time. They had hand towels and machine wipes readily available. We had a great stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2010
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center as your stopover from Florida. I'm pleased we were able to meet all your expectations. It's always nice to hear when one of our associates, Xavier Fox, goes the extra mile. I hope when your travels bring you back through Roanoke, you will stay with us again here at the Sheraton.
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I truly was pleasantly surprised by this Sheraton. The service was excellent at the front desk- I did have to ask for my breakfast vouchers, but once the rate was confirmed they were handed right over.

The room was perfectly clean which really is the most important thing to me, besides safety. And where safely was concerned I was happy as well- even our sliding glass door, that led out to a cute grass area with pond and fish, had an extra security lock.

My only complaints would be that I think the bathroom door should maybe open into the room; if the door is open you cant grab a towel from the shower or anything. My mattress was a bit soft on one side, but I would think it is probably the side most people would sit on while using the phone and such. I would also like to see more vegetarian items on their menu- deciding on dinner was a little difficult foy my teenage daughter and myself with both of us being vegetarians.

Another positive- the front desk guy had told me that we could use our breakfast vouchers for room service, but when I called down in the morning they said I could not. When I explained what the front desk said they were happy to accomodate. I also really liked that when I asked for more coffee it came promptly and then they actually called to make sure it was received.

Ok- there is ONE more complaint...I wish it was closer to VA Tech since that is where my daughter is attending college this fall! All the hotels were sold out for move in weekend so we ended up here. It was worth the extra drive back and forth though!

PS- we noticed that the fitness center is open 24 hours, we didnt use it, but could see in when walking by and it looked great. Also had indoor and outdoor pools which is a definite plus.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor. I'm happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience with us. We have taken note regarding the limited vegetarian choices on our menu and will expand the offerings. I hope you will consider us your home away from home for the next few years, as you come to visit your daughter at Virginia Tech.
All the best,
culpeper, va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I hate to contradict the other great reviews on the site but after my experience I felt I should share the good and the bad. I was in Roanoke to take a very important test, and many of the 1500 people that descended upon Roanoke were staying in the hotel. I was there for 3 nights and was told that the hotel was booked solid. Our first room was occupied. We used our key to enter and found that the top was locked. Both us and the occupants were confused and a bit miffed. They gave us vouchers for room service, which I'll get to in a bit. Our next room had double beds and was next to the ice machine. Since I had requested a king bed and a quiet room we moved yet again. The room was perfectly nice, even had a nice view of mountains, but since I was already stressed enough I didnt want my hotel experience to add to it. The third and final room was what we had asked for, though my husband had specifically asked if the room was adjoining (with doors to other rooms) and we were told it was not. The room in fact was adjoining to two rooms, which was a bit loud but we dealt with it.

The real issue was with the room service. Now if you can imagine hundreds of anxious people all staying at the hotel to take a test that begins at a specific time, we all ordered breakfast from room service at the earliest time they had allotted, 6:30 am. The food didn't arrive until closer to 7:30, leaving me 15 minutes to eat. Also, they forgot half of my meal. They didn't make us pay for the meal, but considering it wasn't what we ordered (my husband's food was incorrect too since there was meat in the dish and we're vegetarians). Anyway, the next morning we tried again since we're fools or were feeling optimistic. The poor server had to go back to the kitchen 3 times to get the order correct, none of which was his fault.

Anyway, between the room mix up and the horrific room service I wouldn't recommend the hotel. It is beautifully decorated and has a nice gym, but when I needed them to come through they didn't.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment concerning your recent stay at our Sheraton Roanoke.
I was so disappointed to hear of the unpleasant experiences you encountered, especially the way room service handled your orders. Please accept my apologies for this serious breach of service. I have shared your comments with our staff and have taken immediate measures with our room service operation to improve service to our guests.
Once again, I apologize for our errors, and certainly hope you will return to the Sheraton Roanoke, thereby allowing us the opportunity to be of much better service to you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010 via mobile

Kristnia Littleton was my server at the Sheraton hotel and she did a fantastic job at making sure her guests were comfortable. Her outstanding ability of being hospitable to her guests is an intangible asset that the Sheraton chain should hold on to for a long time. She is very dedicated and served every guest (in my presence) in a very timely manner. With staff like Kristina, not only with the restaurant at the Sheraton in Roanoke be successful but the whole hotel will get an opportunity to attract more guests and generate incremental revenue.

• Stayed July 2010
We are always happy to learn when our associates go above and beyond. We are also pleased to know that Kristina was especially helpful to you. I have copied your response in Trip Advisor to all departments, so that our associates will also know how pleased you were with your experience here at the Sheraton. We are, indeed, proud of our "team".
Once again, thank you for your comments, and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you when you are in the Roanoke Valley.
Best regards,
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We just spent 4 nights here with a group of friends who all have the same breed dog. The hotel bent over backwards for us and our dogs. Its very dog friendly and ample places to walk dogs. We had the use of a conference room the entire time and they constantly checked to see if we needed anythings.
Rooms all beautifully furnished and very clean. Good toiletries.tv and electric outlets. Staff very helpful. Restaurant very good but breakfast is only a buffet and quite high. Not everyone eats a large breakfast.

• Stayed July 2010
I want to thank you regarding your positive review of the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center. The staff here is still talking about how nice your group was. And they especially liked the Westies. We hope on your next trip, you will allow us the opportunity to host your event here at the Sheraton.
Regards,
Greg Hargrave

Been to Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!