“What a Pleasant Surprise!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #6 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Arlington, VA
“What a Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I truly was pleasantly surprised by this Sheraton. The service was excellent at the front desk- I did have to ask for my breakfast vouchers, but once the rate was confirmed they were handed right over.

The room was perfectly clean which really is the most important thing to me, besides safety. And where safely was concerned I was happy as well- even our sliding glass door, that led out to a cute grass area with pond and fish, had an extra security lock.

My only complaints would be that I think the bathroom door should maybe open into the room; if the door is open you cant grab a towel from the shower or anything. My mattress was a bit soft on one side, but I would think it is probably the side most people would sit on while using the phone and such. I would also like to see more vegetarian items on their menu- deciding on dinner was a little difficult foy my teenage daughter and myself with both of us being vegetarians.

Another positive- the front desk guy had told me that we could use our breakfast vouchers for room service, but when I called down in the morning they said I could not. When I explained what the front desk said they were happy to accomodate. I also really liked that when I asked for more coffee it came promptly and then they actually called to make sure it was received.

Ok- there is ONE more complaint...I wish it was closer to VA Tech since that is where my daughter is attending college this fall! All the hotels were sold out for move in weekend so we ended up here. It was worth the extra drive back and forth though!

PS- we noticed that the fitness center is open 24 hours, we didnt use it, but could see in when walking by and it looked great. Also had indoor and outdoor pools which is a definite plus.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor. I'm happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience with us. We have taken note regarding the limited vegetarian choices on our menu and will expand the offerings. I hope you will consider us your home away from home for the next few years, as you come to visit your daughter at Virginia Tech.
All the best,

368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
culpeper, va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I hate to contradict the other great reviews on the site but after my experience I felt I should share the good and the bad. I was in Roanoke to take a very important test, and many of the 1500 people that descended upon Roanoke were staying in the hotel. I was there for 3 nights and was told that the hotel was booked solid. Our first room was occupied. We used our key to enter and found that the top was locked. Both us and the occupants were confused and a bit miffed. They gave us vouchers for room service, which I'll get to in a bit. Our next room had double beds and was next to the ice machine. Since I had requested a king bed and a quiet room we moved yet again. The room was perfectly nice, even had a nice view of mountains, but since I was already stressed enough I didnt want my hotel experience to add to it. The third and final room was what we had asked for, though my husband had specifically asked if the room was adjoining (with doors to other rooms) and we were told it was not. The room in fact was adjoining to two rooms, which was a bit loud but we dealt with it.

The real issue was with the room service. Now if you can imagine hundreds of anxious people all staying at the hotel to take a test that begins at a specific time, we all ordered breakfast from room service at the earliest time they had allotted, 6:30 am. The food didn't arrive until closer to 7:30, leaving me 15 minutes to eat. Also, they forgot half of my meal. They didn't make us pay for the meal, but considering it wasn't what we ordered (my husband's food was incorrect too since there was meat in the dish and we're vegetarians). Anyway, the next morning we tried again since we're fools or were feeling optimistic. The poor server had to go back to the kitchen 3 times to get the order correct, none of which was his fault.

Anyway, between the room mix up and the horrific room service I wouldn't recommend the hotel. It is beautifully decorated and has a nice gym, but when I needed them to come through they didn't.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment concerning your recent stay at our Sheraton Roanoke.
I was so disappointed to hear of the unpleasant experiences you encountered, especially the way room service handled your orders. Please accept my apologies for this serious breach of service. I have shared your comments with our staff and have taken immediate measures with our room service operation to improve service to our guests.
Once again, I apologize for our errors, and certainly hope you will return to the Sheraton Roanoke, thereby allowing us the opportunity to be of much better service to you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010 via mobile

Kristnia Littleton was my server at the Sheraton hotel and she did a fantastic job at making sure her guests were comfortable. Her outstanding ability of being hospitable to her guests is an intangible asset that the Sheraton chain should hold on to for a long time. She is very dedicated and served every guest (in my presence) in a very timely manner. With staff like Kristina, not only with the restaurant at the Sheraton in Roanoke be successful but the whole hotel will get an opportunity to attract more guests and generate incremental revenue.

• Stayed July 2010
We are always happy to learn when our associates go above and beyond. We are also pleased to know that Kristina was especially helpful to you. I have copied your response in Trip Advisor to all departments, so that our associates will also know how pleased you were with your experience here at the Sheraton. We are, indeed, proud of our "team".
Once again, thank you for your comments, and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you when you are in the Roanoke Valley.
Best regards,
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We just spent 4 nights here with a group of friends who all have the same breed dog. The hotel bent over backwards for us and our dogs. Its very dog friendly and ample places to walk dogs. We had the use of a conference room the entire time and they constantly checked to see if we needed anythings.
Rooms all beautifully furnished and very clean. Good toiletries.tv and electric outlets. Staff very helpful. Restaurant very good but breakfast is only a buffet and quite high. Not everyone eats a large breakfast.

• Stayed July 2010
I want to thank you regarding your positive review of the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center. The staff here is still talking about how nice your group was. And they especially liked the Westies. We hope on your next trip, you will allow us the opportunity to host your event here at the Sheraton.
Regards,
Coopersburg,PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Trip was a weekend trip and arrival was at 3:00 PM. Everything was ready and check in was no hassel at all. The check in clerks at the front desk were very professional and courteous. We requested a stay away from any student groups that were there for the weekend and were given a room on the 8th floor . It was a very quiet room, even though it was right next to the vending and ice machines. We have stayed at many Sheraton hotels, but this was one of the greatest stays we have had. Clean towels, relaxing comfortable beds and staff that was very helpful. What more could a weary traveller ask for. Great experience!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your many fine comments about your stay with us.
We are always happy to learn we have done well, and wish you to know that your review has been copied to all departments, so that our employees will also know how pleased you were with their efforts. We are, indeed, proud of our "team".
Best regards,
Harrisonburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

This was our second stay here and it was just as nice as the first last year. The staff is freindly and helpful, the restaurant is not over priced. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Great free computer lounge in the lobby. The interior design is so nice I want to move in.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us for the second time. It's nice to hear we have stayed consistent in our service year over year. We are very proud of our associates as they work very hard do to make your stay an enjoyable one. We get alot of positive comments regarding our design in the hotel as well as the guest rooms. I hope that on your third trip to the Roanoke Valley ,you will stay with us once again.
Cape Cod, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

The hotel is spacious, clean, has everything you need, is conveniently located, has free parking and the rooms are very nice. The entire staff is friendly, professional and a pleasure to deal with. We booked over 20 rooms for a wedding through the group sales department and they were terrific. With such a large group we had changes and the staff took care of everything and they were ALWAYS pleasant and smiling. All of our family and friends who stayed here were very happy

• Stayed July 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your stay with us here at the Sheraton. It's always nice to know when one meets or exceeds expectations. I will pass along the nice comments regarding the staff, and how pleasant everyone was. Again, thank you and hope to see you on your next trip to the Roanoke Valley.
Regards,
Greg Hargrave

Been to Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!