“Pet friendly, good staff, needs some updating” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #6 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Fairfax, Virginia
“Pet friendly, good staff, needs some updating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton twice coming and going from our vacation in NC. We were pleased to find the Sheraton was pet friendly. Our room was in good shape and had recently been updated. The staff were friendly and considerate. The only thing I rate down for the hotel was the grounds and landscaping. Since I had to walk my dog, I saw a lot of the grounds, which in their peak,must have been a beautiful piece of property. But now I found it to be in need of TLC. Some areas are dark at night. The landscaping needed attention in the courtyard and surrounding area. I hope they put some time into updating this piece as well.

Room Tip: If you have a pet, try for the 1st floor, near an exit door.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bob D, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback. Funny you should mention landscaping, as we will be making some major changes in that area in late September and early October. There were a number of beds that we allowed to go dormant in preparation of this. I am assuming that these are the areas you are referring to. You are correct in saying that the landscaping could be better than it already is and next Spring we will be better than ever! Thanks again and we hope to see you back.

368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Central Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed one night between visiting Appomattox Court house and Natural bridge. Good location for visiting these two places. Large comfy king size bed, clean room, pretty view of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for a wonderful review and for taking the time to post it on TripAdvisor! We hope to see you back with us soon.
va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We chose to stay at this very nice hotel while driving back to DC with our dog. Our ground floor room was perfect for taking the dog out and we enjoyed dining in room from their good hotel restaurant! Definitely a nice hotel to base out of when exploring the Roanoke area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob D, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Wow, thanks for your very positive comments regarding your stay. It sounds like all of you (dog included) had a very nice stay. We hope to see you back soon!
CARY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here because of a Groupon deal. Easy check in. The desk clerk even forewarned us that we were on the first floor, where all the pets stay (she wanted to make sure the possible barking wouldn't be a problem) and gave us the option of switching to a queen on a different floor (no other kings left). You need a credit card for incidental charges (not debit or atm cards), which wasn't a problem for us, but might be for some. Just a heads up. Room was nice. I thought it might smell like dog but it didn't. Saw plenty of dogs, but didn't hear a lot of barking. The walls are thin and the humans kept waking me slamming doors, talking in the hall, talking in their rooms, but nothing preventable on the hotel staff's part.

I would stay again . Breakfast at PI was pretty good if you are buffet hungry. There were flies in the dining area annoying me, but none in the buffet area. Shula's was fantastice and we had a wonderful server Jenna. I would come back here just to have her wait on us.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor if possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Glad that you were able to take advantage of our limited time offer on Groupon! I also appreciate your taking the time to post your positive comments to TripAdvisor. We hope to see you back with us soon. I will pass on your great comments regarding our restaurant, Shula's, and in particular to Jenna. Thanks again!
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We found the Sheraton Hotel chain to have a below standard service with quite a few hidden extras. We arrived family of four, on the road to Washington and were given a standard rate room for four. We would expect the Sheraton to provide breakfast but after ordering were handed a 38$ bill which included a $9 bill for our 5 yr old despite asking at check in if breakfast were included. Another case of hidden costs added to keep advertised prices attractive. Shula's restaurant is also over priced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry to hear that we disappointed you. Based upon your comments I have checked all advertising and listings regarding our hotel to insure that we are not promoting a complimentary breakfast as this is not something that we offer. I could not find an instance in which either ourselves or any Sheraton hotel does list a free breakfast.
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This hotel had the best value on Priceline. Loved the decor, service and amenities. I must deduct points for the far walk to the room & the wonderful pooh left in our toilet... I can only take true fault with the housekeeper that left it & know that the hotel did a great job making us feel better. We received breakfast coupons for 2 days & a free app @ Shulas. We will definately like to return one day...

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pass your comments on to us via TripAdvisor. It sounds as though you also mentioned them during your stay and that my staff addressed them. Nevertheless, I apologize for the inconvenience we caused you. It is my hope that when your travels return you to Roanoke, you will give us the chance to redeem ourselves. At that time I hope we achieve unbridled "awesomeness"!
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This Sheraton is an older property, and is in need of some renovations. The bathroom was tiny. It was nice to actually have a working balcony however. There was a large wet area in the middle of the carpet when we checked in. I notified the staff, and they said it was due to recent carpet cleaning. The one night stay there was good, the room was relatively quiet even though the hotel is just off the airport. I would recommend this hotel for a travel stop.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for you very kind words. Yes, some of our bathrooms are on the smaller side, although all were renovated as recently as recently as 2009 when the entire hotel renovation was completed. I was distressed to find that you were checked into a room in which we had just completed carpet shampooing. This should not have occured and I have addressed this with my staff. Please accept my heartfelt apologies for this oversight.

Been to Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!