“Beautiful hotel in a beautiful area” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #5 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
“Beautiful hotel in a beautiful area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We spent a Friday night and then a Sunday night here during a quick turnaround weekend trip to attend a family member's wedding in northern VA.

My husband is a Starwood Platinum Preferred Guest, so we were able to use points for the rooms :-) We had our daughter and my husband's mom, so we got 2 rooms. One room was a huge suite. We had it both nights. It had a large living / work area with two couches, several chairs and a large dining table. There was free water, coffee, and a small refrigerator. The other room was on the Club level both visits. It had 2 beds, work table, water, coffee, and refrigerator. All furnishings were modern and attractive.

In both rooms, the beds were wonderful! Very comfortable bed with luxurious linens! The bathrooms were adequate although the club level room could have had a bigger bathroom.

In the lobby area there are several sitting areas with attractive furnishings and some fireplaces and TV's. There is a Starbucks (which our daughter cannot resist), and a casual restaurant where we had a great breakfast. For breakfast they have an omelet station, hot items such as bacon, sausage, eggs, oatmeal and potatoes. There were also pastries, cold cereal, yogurt, and breads. The food was delicious and service was very good. We did not eat anything but breakfast, but I think there is also a dinner menu.

There is also a Shula's 347 Grill which we did not have time to visit.

Some other things I checked out but did not get to use: an indoor and outdoor pool, a large fitness center, and a computer station.

I try to be fair with my reviews including good and bad. Here's a couple not so great things - the halls and lobby areas were too warm. Not comfortable to me at all. The rooms are a decent walk from the lobby. That is not really a negative, just be prepared. There had been some water damage in the area where the suite was, so Monday morning before leaving, construction crews were there. I smelled paint or some solvent that gave me a headache. Hopefully, the repairs will not take long to complete. I am a dog person, but if you are not, it could be an issue. We saw several big dogs. My only dog issue was that as we entered the restaurant for breakfast, a child had her dog inside the entrance - not into the seating area, but it still seemed a bit too close to the eating area.

Overall, this was a very nice, beautiful hotel and I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Use the valet service if you have several pieces of luggage as the rooms are a bit of a walk from th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bob D, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Wow, thanks for taking the time to post such a complete review. It sounds as though you had a great stay and for that I am very pleased. Note that we did have some damage to rooms due to a storm prior to your visit and we were working on a few rooms - this has now been completed. I wish I had seen the dog that close to the restaurant as we do not allow that. I'm sorry you did not get a chance to try our Shula's restaurant - maybe next time? We hope to see you again.

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel/conference center is the best kept secret in Roanoke. It is super convenient to the airport, close to shopping and yet not crammed into a downtown venue. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful. This was especially true at the check-in (B) and with the concierge (XLF). My suite was spacious and well appointed. All of the amenities were well maintained. I can think of nothing negative about the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bob D, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
I'm glad to hear that you had a great stay! I also want to thank you for taking the time to post your comments to Trip Advisor. We look forward to having you with us again in the future
Hermitage, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had booked a room through Booking.com for my brother and his wife as they were traveling.
When they arrived to the hotel they were told that there was no room reservation. I called and spoke to booking.com and they assured me that there was a reservation. I again called the hotel and spoke to Belinda who informed me that there was not a reservation however "she had a large amount of faxes coming over so she was very busy." Once again I called Booking.com to get this taken care of as I am several hours away from the hotel and my brother. I called the hotel and the rude front desk attendant informed that they had received the fax. This took 2 hours over the phone to clear up. My bank statement then arrives and I see that I was charged 1.00, 23.08, 109.00, and 123.17. I have been back a forth with the hotel manager who said that he would check and fix it and call me back which he hasn't. I have called booking.com and consistently get a different representative who has me start the process all over. I have after 6 weeks had the $1.00 and $23.08 removed from my account. I travel frequently and would not recommend using either of the listed facilities. Moral is Buyer beware cause if it is a good deal probably hidden costs and problems associated with it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I apologize for the issues you encountered both with Booking.com as well as with our hotel. I can assure you that these situations are very typically not the case and can only hope that you will give us the chance to redeem ourselves.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I thought twice before booking this hotel from some of the Trip Advisor reviews (which I ALWAYS read) but the price hooked me. I wasn't disappointed! This hotel has had a complete renovation. The lobby is beautiful with several nice seating areas, not just one big one. They also have several computers available. There are two pools and a hot tub. One pool is indoors, one is outside. Wish I had brought my suit! My room had been redone and was beautiful. Top of the line furnishings down to the bathroom facuets. There is a nice desk, a frig, a huge TV and a chair and lamp for reading. The service was wonderful. Don't miss Shula's 347 - the resturant that is on site. Pricey but worth it - excellant dining and service. Linens on bed were wonderful! I will definetly stay here again!

Room Tip: If you have a lot of stuff get a bellman or luggage cart - it's a long walk from the front desk...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bob D, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
I want to thank you for your very kind comments and, even more so, for taking the time to post them to Trip Advisor! We look forward to seeing you again when your travels return you to Roanoke.
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I don't know why this large hotel and conference center was built in Roanoke but it is gorgeous and clean. The SPG site offers great rates if there isn't an event going on.

Rooms have fridges and are large but the bathroom is really small; the door barely cleared the toilet.

Our rate included breakfast, which was an extensive buffet with an omelette station, served on the first floor of the hotel (not in Shula's 247, which is also a great restaurant).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I want to thank you for the positive feedback on both our hotel and restaurant (Shulas 347). I also thank for for taking time out your busy day to do so! We hope to see you again when your travels bring you to the Blue Ridge region!
salzburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Good hotel in a nice location; staff very helpful trying hard to help (we wanted a room with balkony).
Rooms - as expected - nicely decorated, tastful furniture and great beds. Overall well built, well furnished and well run hotel.
More as a footnote: Hotel entrance has not been clean (carpet full of leaves, etc.) which could give you an initial - wrong - impression.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
My apologies for the leaves at the entrance when you arrived. We've had a number a heavy storms pass through here in the past 3 weeks and you must have caught us between clean ups! I want to thank you for not only your positive comments but also for the time you took out of your busy day to post them to Trip Advisor. We hope to see you again when you return to Roanoke.
Roanoke, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel was nice. Not a fan of their remodel color schemes, but clean and newer. Liked the number of outdoor areas we found to hide away from the large groups there for reunions and weddings. Having the restaurant and coffee shop inside were handy. The mall is close by. We noticed a lot of dogs staying there, so they must be dog friendly. No sign of them based on barking or smells, so they were no problem.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding our hotel to Trip Advisor. It sounds as though you had a relaxing time with us and that is what we strive to hear! Yes, we accomodate "man's best frineds" and they are some of our favorite guests!! Thanks again..

Been to Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!