“Great Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Roanoke
Wilmington, Delaware
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The staff exceeded expectations at this property. We requested a quiet room but were assigned a room near the ice maker and elevators. A quick return to the front desk and the problem was promptly solved. The newly assigned room was in a beautiful location - quiet and peaceful - very nice service recovery effort!

Our stay was brief. We didn't use the pool or the restaurant so I can't speak to those aspects of the hotel. I can, however, report that the room was comfortable, clean, and beautifully appointed. There is a downside for business travellers - there is a charge for internet access in the rooms - but for leisure, the hotel is a great choice. We will be returning in the spring with extended family to attend a graduation. Given our recent experience at this property, we are looking forward to staying again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Greg H, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments about our Sheraton Roanoke Hotel & Conference Center. Our team strives to make each visit a wonderful experience for all of our guests. We appreciate you selecting our hotel for your stay and we look forward to serving you and your extended family again when you return for the graduation.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

From the first time I visited Sheraton Roanoke for a conference, I was impressed with the facility - the conference area, the lobby, the grounds, the pool. I didn't stay the night though as it was a one day trip. However, this last time I had the opportunity to spend the night. The rooms lived up to my expectations. They were spacious, updated, and clean. The beds were also very comfortable and the shower had plenty of power. I didn't use it, but the gym was huge.

I ate at Shula's in the lobby. It was your typical Shula's - exceptional food and a great atmosphere. What I was most impressed with was the selection of Virginia wines and craft beers. Virginia has an excellent selection of both. Try a local Viognier - you will be impressed.

Of note, the club lounge is the place to be. It was like a party in there everytime I walked by. Check it out and socialize with some follow business travellers.

Where I was not impressed was the staff. They were very polite but absolutely clueless. First, my Internet didn't work and I called the front desk. They said maintenance would be right up. Every 15 minutes for three hours I called asking when it would be up or wher maintenance was. The answer was - "I don't know". This is a big deal for business travellers. That's lost productivity. I asked for a manager but he was nowhere to be found during those three hours. (I guess they get long lunch breaks). Finally, the front desk told me the maintenance supervisor had been going to modem to modem during that time resetting them as they had a problem. That's fine. But why didn't they tell me that the first time I called. Second, there was a tray of dirty plates outside a room two doors down when I check in at 2pm. The same tray was there when I checked out the next morning at 9am. That's unexceptable.

I want to give the hotel a 5 star - but the staff prevents me from doing so.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
First of all, thank you for your comments about our Sheraton Roanoke hotel. I'm happy you enjoyed your room stay and meal in Shula's. We are very proud of the effect our renovations and new restaurant have had on our guest experience.

I also appreciate your feedback about your disappointments with our staff. We do strive to make the entire stay of each of our guests as pleasantly memorable as possible. We will use your disappointing experience with the internet issue as a great example of how important good communication is to keeping our guests happy. We do stress the key elements to guest satisfaction at all our staff meetings. But, your feedback will help to make us an even better team,
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Beds were fresh looking. White luxery bedding with no signs of bugs or wear (I am a bit preoccupied with that and checked the mattress etc.). Two queens was extra nice. Personal coffee tea maker. Pool and fitness looked clean and modern. Some noise from hall but in general a relaxing stay. Front desk nicely asked what floor we wanted and there was no issue honoring my request for a non pet floor. 45 minute easy drive to Virginia Tech right off of 81. We were college hunting.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Greg H, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Pennsylvaniafamily,
Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay here at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center. All our rooms have the Sweet Sleeper Bed with white linens,and as you know, we use Double Queen beds as opposed to Double/Double beds. Nice to hear everything else was comfortable as well. If your travels bring you back to the Roanoke Valley, please consider the Sheraton once again.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Roanoke for a weekend in mid-October for a Virginia Tech football game. The hotel was very clean and the staff very helpful. Two rather minor problems we experienced: 1.) the door that could be used to connect to the adjoining room was rather thin as we could clearly hear an ordinary business telephone conversation being carried on by our neighbor; and 2.) pre-ordered room service for breakfast overshot their 15 minute delivery window by five minutes (not a huge deal except we had to be out first thing and had selected the earliest delivery window). We regarded these as very minor issues in an otherwise great stay.

The Sheraton also has the virtue of having a real restaurant on-site with Shula's. We met friends for drinks at the bar Saturday night. The bartender was friendly and reasonably generous, and the atmosphere welcoming. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Steve E,
Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay here at the Sheraton. I was pleased to read your overall stay was a pleasant one, and the dining experience in Shula's was positive. I have already addressed the room service issue with our food and beverage team, in hopes to speed up the process. Again, thank you for your post.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Great proximity to the airport, easy parking, terrific beds, and several dining options make the Sheraton Roanoke a great value. And to make it even better, the staff is attentive, pleasent, and experienced.
A+++

Room Tip: I like Tower B; however, have stayed in multiple rooms at this property and have no complaints on an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear sigma7s,
I'm pleased to read you felt the Sheraton is A+++. As you stated in your post, we are in a great location for airport access as well as close proximity to downtown. Our new Shula's 347 Restaurant is nice addition to the hotel as well. Thank you for your kind post, and hope to see you in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Sheraton for two days this last July. The rooms were good but not great and the location left some to be desired. The service in the hotel was great. I needed early room service each day and was accommodated at no cost. Everyone was very helpful. Overall a fine hotel if you are staying in the Roanoke area.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear ADemps84,
Thank you for staying with us here at the Sheraton, and I was pleased to read we were able to accomodate your early breakfast needs. Although we are not downtown, we are in close proximity to both the airport and the largest mall here in Roanoke. I hope on your next visit to Roanoke, you will once again stay here at the Sheraton.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I've been a very loyal Marriott Platinum guy for about two years, so I was a bit apprehensive when my colleague booked us a couple rooms at this Sheraton during a business trip. I have to say that I was very impressed with this property. The rooms were very well appointed with all the conveniences a business traveler could ask for (outlets were plentiful, WiFi was reliable (although $9.95...really?), very nice amenities and the bed was VERY comfortable. Starbucks coffee in the rooms, complimentary bottled water and a nice big flat screen tv on a table just a few feet from the foot of the bed was all goodness. Not too far from downtown, which I strongly recommend you check out. The great local (read: non-chain) restaurants and bars were very plentiful and the people were all VERY nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Greg H, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Nowlink,
I was pleased to read we won over a Marriott Platinum Customer. The Sheraton offers a great deal for travelers coming to the Roanoke Valley, and am happy you gave us a try. I hope on your next trip through the Roanoke Valley, you will stay with us again.
Thanks again for the positive comments.