“Big property nice rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2801 Hershberger Road, Roanoke, VA 24017   |
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Cypress, Texas
“Big property nice rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed here on our way to Texas. Great room, comfy bed and pet friendly without a fee which was great. Everyone slept very well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. I was happy to read how you felt our hotel was comfortable and the staff was friendly. And yes we are pet friendly without the fees. I hope on your next trip to and from Texas, you will once again choose the Sheraton Roanoke as the place to stay.
Greg Hargrave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Mount Airy, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

It is a Sheraton nothing more nothing less with that in mind the staff was nice and the rooms were clean nice building.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 6, 2011
Dear Regbowman,

I am pleased you felt we are a good Sheraton, as we take these comments to heart so we can better ourselves going forward. Hopefully, on your next visit you will leave with the experience that we are the best Sheraton. Something for us to strive for.
USA
1,212 helpful votes 1,212 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Decent Sheraton and rooms quite well maintained. Good gym but small. Overall the hotel was worth the price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Larry8241,

Thank you for your response to Trip Advisor regarding your stay here at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center. I'm pleased to see that overall you were pleased with your stay. And I hope on your next visit to Roanoke, you will once again choose the Sheraton as your hotel of choice.
Regards,
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed one night with our goldendoodle Oct 5. As we were entering the hotel in late afternoon, the sun hit the glass into the lobby. The glass didn't look like the it had been cleaned in months on the inside. The film was extreme and quite a disappointment as we were greeted by such poor maintenance. But once inside, the lobby had been updated and the check in smooth. We were given a room on the first floor because of the dog and a very quiet location as requested. As we walked down a long hallway to our room, there were 5 different sets of dirty dishes outside of guest rooms. We liked our room--the beds were comfy and loved the linens. Again, the wall of glass in our room was just filthy and the carpeting had multiple spots. We called for a blanket (not wanting the down comforter) which arrived from housekeeping immediately. When we left the room to go to dinner several hours later, the dirty dishes still lined the hallway. I mentioned this to the deskgirl as we were walking to Shula's for dinner. Thankfully, the hallway was cleared by our return.

We did not hear one sound in our room although the hotel was not very full and no one was next to our room. Having a mini refrigerator was a plus and we are always grateful that our dog is allowed to be in the room with us. Being on the first floor, we could easily open our sliding glass door to let the dog out.

We were thankful that we didn't need to use the air conditioner. It's so noisy that when it cycles off and on, it would wake the dead. I would give this Sheraton 4*s in a heartbeat if we didn't encounter the issues with the dirty class ,carpeting and noisy a/c. Our stay was definitely better than 3 stars but there 3.5 is not an option. There was no option to just leave the fan on.

We are at Shula's and were the only guests in the entire restaurant! It was very weird. I ordered a grouper sandwich and was told the only way to get grouper was to pay for the $32 dinner! Obviously they had the fish but wanted us to pay more. The restaurant is adequate if you want food and don't want to drive around looking for restaurants. But don't expect much.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room which does not face the interstate.
Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 30, 2011
Dear GoldenJud,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Tripadvisor. I'm please to read that the accomodations worked well for you and your Goldendoodle. However, not so pleased regarding the less than clean windows and trays in the hallway. The glass has been cleaned and the tray pick up is back on a proper schedule. I hope that on your next visit through the Roanoke Valley, you will once again stay with us here at the Sheraton.
Again, thank you for your comments.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

This hotel is Average in my opinion for the price that was paid. The room was dated. Bathroom small but clean. I wish the non smoking king that we got came with a small microwave. A good thing about it was breakfast but that came at an additional price of course. I have stayed in hotels outside the US. I've gotten more bang for my buck overseas at the same price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here at the Sheraton. I will take your suggestions and address with the appropriate departments, so as to better service our customers.
Bradford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We had an overnight stay at this hotel as part of a tour of the Southern States. We arrived ~7pm after a long journey and got our room keys immediatley, with our luggage being delivered shortly afterwards.
The room was large with 2 double beds and a mini fridge which was a bonus. Everything was clean and modern. We had a meal in the adjoining Shula steak restaurant. My husband thought his steak one of the best ever. Service was excellent and very friendly.
If you are visiting this area then I don't think you do any better than this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
0701, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor regarding your stay here at the Sheraton, It sounds as though we met your expectations. Shula's is a new restaurant for us, and we have had many positive comments on both food and service. I hope if your travels bring you back to the Roanoke valley, you will once again choose the Sheraton.
Northern Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I stayed here over the weekend while visiting family in town that had a full house. The hotel is very nice and modern with lots of fancy updates. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. We were very impressed with everything... until it was time to go to sleep. The mattresses were very firm! The hotel was booked solid while my fiance and I were there, so we were in a room with two doubles instead of a king. I am biased because I really enjoy soft mattresses, but my fiance is a stomach sleeper and likes a rather firm mattress. I ended up sleeping OK both nights, but he tossed and turned all night both nights. We ended up in separate beds both nights!

Also, even though we were awake by 9AM, the maids came near our area around that time and cleaned the room next to us. We could hear through the door and the walls their entire conversation! Later, when I went into the bathroom, I could hear the people on the other side of us through the bathroom vent. Very surprising how much work they put into updating the hotel and making it look nice while not taking care of the basics.

The bathroom was surprisingly small (I was sure that the door was going to hit the toilet, but no). There wasn't much dresser space, just two drawers from what I can see. Not a problem for me since it was such a turn-around trip, but for those staying longer that want the chance to unpack, I understand the annoyance! There is a small fridge in the room and a coffeemaker.

Shula's 347 restaurant, while pricey, is very good! I had the tomato mozzarella salad while my fiance had the 8 oz filet minon with smashed potatoes and asparagus. Both dishes were excellent!

The breakfast buffet is also great, although a little pricey (with tip ended up being about $30 for just the two of us). Here's a tip: even if they do not have pancakes/waffles/french toast out on the buffet, they will make it for you if asked! :) The omelets were great, the fruit was fresh, everything we ate was great!

Once last note: Internet is not free! It is $9.95/day.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!