“Surprisingly pleasant - worth the stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Suffolk, Virginia
“Surprisingly pleasant - worth the stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I'm picky and generally only stay at "better quality" places. I needed a room quickly and in a certain area of Roanoke so I tried the Econo Lodge. What a pleasant experience. The mattress I slept on had never been used, I was the first. Memory Foam and coil springs. The room was very tasteful, the breakfast nice enough. The staff was wonderful. I was there during bitter cold and they brought me extra blankets and a space heater.

I had room 131 and the noise from the main road was not a problem at all. Parking was just outside the door. The room was spacious with a mid-size refrigerator and microwave. There are plenty of quick eateries close by and easy access to the highways.

The hotel was so nice, and so well priced, that I returned for 2 more nights when my stay got extended. My sister joined me and brought her dog. We moved to a pet room and found it equally nice with no pet odors at all.

I have to say, I really highly recommend this motel.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back for no noise. 131 and 127 are great choices (127 for pets)
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Hope, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We have stayed at this hotel several times now and it is still our go to place in Roanoke. The rooms have been or are undergoing extensive renovations and the mattresses are brand new!
The room was clean, warm and accommodating for our needs. If a traveler is lacking anything, Bhavik goes above and beyond to get you what you need. I love the sink outside the bathroom too. I can finish my hair while my husband is in the shower. The entire staff is welcoming and friendly...always.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Bhavik P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Civic Center, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for giving us a perfect rating. We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your review will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. It is always great to see you both at the hotel. We love having you as our guest.

Knoxville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I attended a small conference in Roanoke in January, 2015. By staying at the Econo Lodge Civic Center for the three nights I was in town rather than the conference hotel about a mile away in downtown, I saved about $60 per night. I also saved about $10 per night in parking fees at the conference hotel and it cost nothing to park at free street space during the day near the conference hotel as long as you don't mind walking about a block north of the conference hotel. I found the Econo Lodge Civic Center to be clean with spacious rooms and a very helpful staff. The owner was very willing to go the extra mile to make the stay pleasant . The breakfast was limited, but adequate. If I need to return to Roanoke in the future, I shall certainly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the kind words. We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your review will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. It was an absolute pleasure to have to as a guest.

Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The heater not working it was off when we checked in. We were given a space heater & told that the room will take awhile to heat since the heater had been turned of. Since we were exhausted we fell asleep fully clothed with the blankets piled on only to wake up to a still cold room. In the middle of the night one does not wake your child-we piled into one double bed. 2 adults and 2 kids.Not a good night sleep for sure.
We also only got 2 towels, when we asked for more they told us they only provide 2 towels per room unless asked for more to save on cleaning them. Even though when we called and made the reservation we told them we had 4 people. Breakfast awful. Coffee tasted like instant. No milk for the cereal, packaged pastries. Powdered creamer. Yuck. Another guest tried to take a coffer and muffin to the room for his wife and was told that he could not do this. That they had to see the guest eat the food since people take extra food to the rooms. That the hotel does not provide the food for snacks later in the day. That they have to watch the food cost.
The furnishings were not only old but in bad shape. Broken light fixtures and dresser. The bathroom faucet was loose and only worked in one position. Hot water at least. The water pressure was good in the shower.
When we checked out only excuses were made for the heater. We were told it was a new heater and was working. My husband is a Maintenance man for a hotel he said the fan is not circulating the heat. When I told them that they told me it was under warranty and they would call GE. Thanked me for letting them know there was a problem. Never once did they offer to check it. Never once did they offer anything except excuses. We were told they were getting new mattresses the next day and the rooms were going to be updated soon.They made us feel like "we got your money and we do everything we can to save money. We know the place is a dump but we got your money so to bad for you". As for what was good about this hotel the room was clean. Freezing but clean. The desk staff were nice but talked in circles and were very good at not accepting the fact their hotel is a dump and they did not care if they got a return guest. We checked out and went to another hotel in the same area. $10 cheaper per night, warm, clean and a good hot breakfast.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Bhavik P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Civic Center, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. Econo Lodge Civic Center has change management in April 2013. we are constantly working hard to improve the hotel. Since April, we have replaced 55% of the old toilets with new dual flush toilets, 25% of the AC units from 8000 BTU to 12000 BUT, 20% of fridge and microwave. We have also installed curved shower bar in 100% of rooms. Every bathroom has been recaulked and each bathtub has been fitted with a anti-slip mat. Each bathtub and sink has a new drain. In addition, we have also got our carpet cleaned every quarter and every AC units in the room has been cleaned. We have also replaced our roof which has taken a lot of time and financial resources. We have modified the breakfast area by removing a wall to meet city codes to add more items in the breakfast. We have added a few types of cereals. We have also replaced bed bases/frames and mattresses in each room. We have also upgraded the entire infrastructure of the guest wifi in November 2014. We are proud of the improvements we have made to the hotel in a such short time; however we are not finished yet. I am confident that we will be able to keep improving the overall condition of the rooms to meet expectations from our guest.

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know we're doing something right. We wish you would give us a second chance to serve you again.

Greentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014

We are senior travelers who look for clean, equipped, and affordable one night stops. The Econolidge in Roanoke was just such a find. We want a nice hot shower. Got it. Coffee and pastry in the morning. Got it. A comfortable clean room. Got it. Internet access to plan the next leg. Got it (running very fast...I had 3 devices on line simultaneously and there was NO LOSS OF SPEED). And please, enough empty outlets to charge all the devices,,,2 phones; 1 iPad ;1 computer; 2 extra charging devices. Bhavik has just begun the refitting of the place. A man with a degree in physics and engineering who talks with pride of this enterprise. Bravo for the hard work and bravo for the restoration and upgrade of a great old American tradition... The family owned and operated motel. A great find for any traveler. We will be back.

Stayed December 2014
Bhavik P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Civic Center, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for giving us a perfect rating. We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your review will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. It was an absolute pleasure to have to as a guest.

Centreville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2014

Just ask yourself one question: Does it make sense to you that a $50/night motel with substandard accommodations (we stayed there and we got what we paid for) would get so many 4 & 5 star reviews? To be clear, I'm not passing judgment or criticizing, just pointing out that it is amazing that we found the only $50/night motel in the world with 93% of their 115 reviews, at the 4 or 5 star level!!! That despite the fact that the shower water would not stay at a consistent temp, the room smelled like body odor, the hinges on the bathroom door were rusting to the extent that the rust was eating away paint, the safety lock on the front door had been ripped from its hinges and not repaired, and more than half of the outlets in the room provided no power. Perhaps we're just missing something obvious here but it certainly begs some serious thought.

I submitted a review on the Econolodge website in order to warn others to be wary, but it was rejected was rejected because of criticism of the reviews there (93% of 115 reviews are either 4 or 5 star). Apparently that violates their guidelines but it appears that their review guidelines are so lengthy and restrictive that you are hard pressed to get one approved unless its a raving festival of positive feedback. I've since submitted a second version that avoids criticizing such high marks for what is a fleabag at best, we'll see how that one goes. I also contacted Choice Guest Relations and the person I spoke with was in no way interested in even beginning to look into my allegations that the reviews are "planted" so be wary, they appear to have setup their review process in a manner that supports the ability of owners to tank the reviews heavily in their favor. Stay there at your own peril.

Room Tip: Choose a room at any other hotel in the area.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Bhavik P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Civic Center, responded to this review, December 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. Econo Lodge Civic Center has change management in April 2013. we are constantly working hard to improve the hotel. Since April, we have replaced 53% of the old toilets with new dual flush toilets, 25% of the AC units from 8000 BTU to 12000 BUT, 20% of fridge and microwave. We have also installed curved shower bar in 100% of rooms. Every bathroom has been recaulked and each bathtub has been fitted with a anti-slip mat. In addition, we have also got our carpet cleaned every quarter and every AC units in the room has been cleaned. All of the sinks and bathtub received a new drain. We have also replaced our roof which has taken a lot of time and financial resources. We have modified the breakfast area by removing a wall to meet city codes to add more items in the breakfast. We have added a few types of cereals. We have also replaced bed bases/frames in each room for the delivery of the new beds in January. We are proud of the improvements we have made to the hotel in a such short time; however we are not finished yet. I am confident that we will be able to keep improving the overall condition of the rooms to meet expectations from our guest.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2014

This Econo Lodge is an excellent value. My room was clean, the receptionist (Dee) was superb, the manager was the ultimate professional, and all aspects of my stay were top notch. Even though my work paid for my stay, I chose this Econo Lodge over more "swanky" offerings due to the aforementioned reasons. I will stay at this Econo Lodge for EVERY visit to Roanoke. Thank you.

Room Tip: As my second visit, I found rooms on either side of the building to be excellent.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Bhavik P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Civic Center, responded to this review, December 9, 2014

(540) 343-2413

Been to Econo Lodge Civic Center? Share your experiences!