“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Washington, Virginia
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were greeted like old friends at the reception desk. All our questions were answered, The place was clean, the beds were comfortable, the room had a fridge and micro wave. Breakfast was adequate: 3 kinds of cereal, pastries, bagels, good hot coffee. At a bargain price! If you enjoy walking, it takes 10 minutes to walk downtown.

Room Tip: talk to the owner about your needs
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Bhavik P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Civic Center, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your review will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. We strive to provide every guest with a clean, comfortable room and unbeatable service. It was an absolute pleasure to have to as a guest.

(540) 343-2413

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Stuart, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The manager is very approachable. The carpet was so dirty that when I started my shower I noticed my bare feet had tracked in dirt. He explained that the dirt comes from the parking lot and carpet cleaning every 3 months is not enough. Perhaps what is needed is 1) better vacuum cleaners (check out consumer reports and maintain them well) and 2) parking lot and sidewalk washing like the Dutch do for their streets. Overall I thought it was a good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room toward the back to get away from the noisy road.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

I want to thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations regarding the cleanliness of the carpet in the room. Econo Lodge Civic Center has change management in April 2013. we are constantly working hard to improve the hotel. Since April, we have replaced 45% of the old toilets with new dual flush toilets, 22% of the AC units from 8000 BTU to 12000 BUT, 20% of fridge and microwave. We have also installed curved shower bar in 100% of rooms. In addition, we have also got our carpet cleaned every quarter and every AC units in the room has been cleaned. All of the sinks and bathtub received a new drain. We have also replaced our roof which has taken a lot of time and financial resources. We have modified the breakfast area by removing a wall to meet city codes to add more items in the breakfast. We have added a few types of cereals. We are proud of the improvements we have made to the hotel in a such short time; however we are not finished yet. I am confident that we will be able to keep improving the overall condition of the rooms to meet expectations from our guest.

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know we're doing something right. We wish you would give us a second chance to serve you again.

Seneca Rocks, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a nice little gem of a hotel run by a personable, ethical manager. Don't let the exterior or inexpensive room price put you off! While the hotel is undergoing renovations - new roof, new AC units, new bathrooms, premium chair-height toilets, wall-mounted hair dryers - the facilities are clean, pleasant, and surprisingly comfortable. I found the mattress and pillows more comfortable than those in much more expensive hotels. The manager will not raise rates for snow, football games, etc. We stayed here after feeling too fatigued to drive home - wish I'd found this hotel three years ago, when we first started traveling to Virginia Tech! I'll be making reservations for Tech's graduation in May first thing in the morning. It will be a pleasure returning to such a pleasant hotel, run by a manager who really understands the meaning of client service.

Room Tip: Just ask the manager for suggestions to meet your needs - he'll be happy to make your stay wonde...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Bhavik P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Civic Center, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your review will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. We strive to provide every guest with a clean, comfortable room and unbeatable service. It was an absolute pleasure to have to as a guest and we look forward to have you during Virginia Tech 2015 graduation.

Middleton, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I booked a room here because of the reasonable price, and the reviews weren't terrible.

First, the good: The staff was friendly, and the room was decently clean. These factors kept the review from being one star.

The bad: The traffic noise was terrible. I had to keep the AC fan and the bathroom fan on all night to be able to sleep. The beds were uncomfortable. The room's maintenance wasn't attended to. For example, the toilet paper holder was broken. The Internet connection was terrible. The breakfast was meager--just cereal and bread products. Please add at least fruit or yogurt so my wife who has celiac disease can eat something.

Overall, the motel is old and run-down. It is no surprise that the parking lot was nearly empty throughout our visit.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the traffic as possible.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

I want to thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. Econo Lodge Civic Center has change management in April 2013. we are constantly working hard to improve the hotel. Since April, we have replaced 45% of the old toilets with new dual flush toilets, 22% of the AC units from 8000 BTU to 12000 BUT, 20% of fridge and microwave. We have also installed curved shower bar in 100% of rooms. In addition, we have also got our carpet cleaned every quarter and every AC units in the room has been cleaned. All of the sinks and bathtub received a new drain. We have also replaced our roof which has taken a lot of time and financial resources. We have modified the breakfast area by removing a wall to meet city codes to add more items in the breakfast. We have added a few types of cereals. We are proud of the improvements we have made to the hotel in a such short time; however we are not finished yet. I am confident that we will be able to keep improving the overall condition of the rooms to meet expectations from our guest.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Recently I was taking a budget roadtrip and saw a variety of inexpensive lodgings across the USA
I was blown away by how clean and well maintained this Econo Lodge was - it was by far my best night on the road from North to the South. The standard of the place far exceeded the economy option - it was much more in the same range as places that charge around $100 per night and above. Mr. Patel, the owner, lives with his family on site and you can truly feel that he takes every possible effort to make the guests feel good. The breakfast was very good - a far cry from the usual stale donut and coffee colored water served elsewhere.... In other words whenever travelling, I'll be trying to stop over at Mr. Patel's Econo Lodge. Moreover - I'd recommend him as the golden standard to all budget lodging owners

Room Tip: non-smoking
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Bhavik P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Civic Center, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago

Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed here for one night in September, 2014. I selected this motel based on the reviews I saw here, and duly armed, I requested a first floor room away from the street. It was a little startling at first to see the nearly empty parking lot but upon check-in and after a conversation with the owner I was relieved to find a very "Mom & Pop", pride-of ownership attitude that I have often sought out in the past. This property is just like many other reviewers have said: it's a dated motel that is slowly being renovated by the owner. We were given a very clean unit with many upgrades on the first floor in the back of the motel (away from the very busy Orange Ave). It was quiet and comfortable. Yes, the room is a little small by today's standards and some of the details are dated, but this is a terrific deal. This is a Mom & Pop motel price that is about 2 minutes from the heart of downtown. The owner is very friendly and talkative and by the time we left we felt like we had a new friend. The fact that the owner is reading and responding to each review here shows that he cares what his customers think. I highly recommend this motel for anyone that wants to be close to downtown and doesn't need to have the latest in luxury appointments.

Room Tip: A room in the back of the facility, away from Orange Ave., is a good idea.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

As you might know Econo Lodge Civic Center has change management in April 2013. we are constantly working hard to improve the hotel. Since April, we have replaced 45% of the old toilets with new dual flush toilets, 22% of the AC units from 8000 BTU to 12000 BUT, 20% of fridge and microwave. We have also installed curved shower bar in 100% of rooms. In addition, we have also got our carpet cleaned by Stanley Steemers every AC units in the room has been cleaned. All of the sinks and bathtub received a new drain. We have also replaced our roof which has taken a lot of time and financial resources. We have modified the breakfast area by removing a wall to meet city codes to add more items in the breakfast. We have added a few types of cereals. We are proud of the improvements we have made to the hotel in a such short time; however we are not finished yet. I am confident that we will be able to keep improving the overall condition of the rooms to meet expectations from our guest.

Chatham, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014

We had a feeling it wouldn't be the nicest of places to stay based on the cost and photos and we weren't disappointed in that respect. The parking lot was empty when we turned up and although the girl on the check-in desk was friendly and helpful, even she seemed surprised that we'd chosen to stay there and booked in advance. We had a smoking room on the top floor and when we walked through the door there was already a feeling of grot overcoming us. The furniture and décor was dated, although the toilet and sink looked fairly new, the rest of the place was falling apart. Wallpaper hanging off walls, soiled carpet torn up in the corners and the bathroom door looked like it had a serious case of wood-worm. The beds weren't comfy either and pretty much 5 mins within walking through the door we both had the itches, which in all fairness could have been psychological, but I did have a telltale bite on my knee. Neither my husband or I could bare to take our shoes off and neither of us got undressed for bed. My husband even kept his socks on for fear of what might be in the bed with us. Then at about midnight one of the other guests decided to play their rock music full blast for the next 3 hours until we phoned the reception at 3am to complain about the noise. It did stop shortly after that but our sleep had already been totally ruined by then anyway. If you're on a tight budget then this might suit, but if you can afford something a little nicer I would definitely look elsewhere. I also felt the need to keep checking that the car was still parked out front. Also air conditioner very noisy (did drown out some of the music) and so was the traffic from the road.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Bhavik P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Civic Center, responded to this review, September 15, 2014

I want to thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. Econo Lodge Civic Center has change management in April 2013. we are constantly working hard to improve the hotel. Since April, we have replaced 45% of the old toilets with new dual flush toilets, 22% of the AC units from 8000 BTU to 12000 BUT, 20% of fridge and microwave. We have also installed curved shower bar in 100% of rooms. In addition, we have also got our carpet cleaned by Stanley Steemers every AC units in the room has been cleaned. All of the sinks and bathtub received a new drain. We have also replaced our roof which has taken a lot of time and financial resources. We have modified the breakfast area by removing a wall to meet city codes to add more items in the breakfast. We have added a few types of cereals. We are proud of the improvements we have made to the hotel in a such short time; however we are not finished yet. I am confident that we will be able to keep improving the overall condition of the rooms to meet expectations from our guest.

(540) 343-2413

Been to Econo Lodge Civic Center? Share your experiences!