“Very comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
“Very comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

We were only in town 1 night for a conference. It was a very pleasant experience. They had overbooked so they offered a king room at a 15% discount off the price of the 2 queen bed room we had booked. It was fine with us since it was my daughter & I & the room was very spacious and clean. They were very accommodating when I called a few days ahead to request early checkin. The hotel was nice & quiet & not that far from Civic Center. Room had refrigerator & microwave. I would stay there again. Front desk personnel were very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2012

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stay at HIEX more often than not, and this one is nice, if a bit small. Friendly staff, clean, quiet, and very comfortable beds. Exceptionally helpful and kind staff in the breakfast area! I would have liked more variety of the breakfasts-I stayed 3 nights and it was the same each morning-but it was hot and plentiful. There are good sized parking lots in front and in back. Good location, but if you use a GPS, make sure you are very specific-ours took us the wrong way when I put the address in myself (instead of letting the GPS find it via the lodging option). We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

I was surprised to pay $170 for a hotel in such a 'remote' location. I was fine paying the price but expected the hotel to live up to the price paid. On first entering the room I turned on the light to the most obnoxious fluorescent lighting. I'm all about sustainability, but were the cheap lights that made the room feel like an aquarium. What was worse, was they buzzed like an aquarium light too.
I approached the front desk and asked that they replace the worst buzzing light with a new lightbulb, and the nice gentleman told me he would look for a light and get back to me. An hour later, no news, no lightbulb, and I decided I didn't want to be a complainer, so I turned off the light and settled in to watch TV. Beds were plenty comfortable.

Next morning got into the shower and was pretty disgusted with the tile. It has that pink scum in the grout... The kind I get at home when I don't clean the shower for a couple weeks!!! Gross!!!

I won't be traveling through Roanoke any time soon, but if I were, this holiday inn express would be my last choice for a hotel.

For the experience, it reminded me of a $70 a night hotel, and even at that rate I would expect a clean shower!

• Stayed October 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Roanoke-Civic Center, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Atari1980,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are delighted to read you found the bed comfortable, however, it is disappointing to read that you were not satisfied with the room accommodation. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the unusual condition of the room, particularly the light and the shower. I would like to assure you that we take each comment seriously as it has always been the goal of our hotel to deliver only the best quality services and facilities. Your feedback will be forwarded to the departments involved to address your concerns.

Connie D
Norfolk, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed here by myself for business. I hade never been to the area but the hotel was easy to find. Right off a main route. The front desk was very friendly and helpful to point me in the direction of food and other activities. The room was clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast was tasty, especially the fresh cinnamon rolls. Suited my needs very well

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed here for one night. Reception staff both pleasant and helpful. Room was fine, breakfast was fine and included in the very reasonable price we got for an advance purchase. Quiet, we appreciated 24 hour availability of drinks, bed comfortable. This was the best night's sleep we had had in a while. Location was further from downtown than we expected but we were still able to walk to the centre to eat in the evening.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here on our way to DC. It was cheap but that quickly showed in the quality of our stay. The hotel staff was very friendly, which is the only pro I saw here. The building looks old and outdated. The rooms look and feel the same way. This hotel is in a desperate need for renovations. There was a flying cockroach in our room, which flew up from near the air conditioning unit, flew over the bed, and eventually landed in the bathroom. If you turn on the bathroom fan, it releases some sort of latex-like smell, which smells toxic. There isn't "hot" water in the shower, it's luke warm. The side entrances to the building would not lock. A hotel should always have 3 things: safety, cleanliness and a friendly staff, and this place only had one (friendly staff). Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Roanoke-Civic Center, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear nytraveller38,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good and the opportunities to improve. I appreciate your kind comments regarding our friendly staff. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. However, we are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced due to the condition of the property, bathroom amenities and overall cleanliness. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention, as we pride ourselves on excellent customer service. Hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N
Gatineau, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed there on our way to Florida. It's cheap. We had a suite. It's small, cramped. The bed is really, really hard. It's a 2* hotel. The service at the reception is really good, though. That's the only good thing about this hotel. Won't stay there again...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Roanoke-Civic Center, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear jodanick,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I appreciate the positive comment about our services, however, I am sorry that you found our bed hard. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Roanoke-Civic Center? Share your experiences!