“Dead Bugs in Room, no extra charge” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6520 Thirlane Road, I-81 Exit 143/I-581 Exit 2S, Roanoke, VA 24019   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #28 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Knoxville TN
“Dead Bugs in Room, no extra charge”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

After leaving another hotel in the area due to lack of access to a handicapped room, this hotel was close to the first one.
I'm uncertain as to how this property passed any building inspection, the heater alternated between extreme hot air and cold air -uneven tiles in the bathroom, dirt in the corners of the room, bugs in one section of the bedroom, a partial refund was offered and accepted - There was a sign in the lobby, pets an additional charge of $10.00 - unfortunately my room had aimals staying there some time prior to my arrival - small bug bites on my legs
Roanoke officials need to check on this property

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Roanoke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

This may be the cheapest motel anywhere in the area, but you will not like staying here no matter how cheap they are. floors were not vacuumed, condoms and other trash not picked up from behind night stand and beds, someone had spewed soda all over the walls and it was not cleaned up. When we went to turn on the lamp the shade fell off because it was broken and when we made the indian at the front desk aware of lamp he tried to say he was going to charge us for it. The breakfast food may have been years old.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

The room was filthy. The tub had been painted and the paint was peeling. The carpet was disgusting. And, to top the experience all off...BEDBUGS!!! I came away with itchy welts all over my body.

The place should be shut down. I'm contemplating contacting the health department.

The maid wouldn't even come in the room. They never even made the bed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Richardson, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

This is the nastiest hotel/motel room I have ever seenand slept in my whole life. 54 years. Had it not been dark-thirty when we checked in, and I was extremely over-tired, I would have demanded a refund and moved on down the highway. Unfortunately, traveling thru this part of country on a Friday night stay leaves few decent rooms at an affordable price. In others words, there is a captive audience along the interstate in Roanake with limited choice in rooms. I highly recommend that this old crumbling motel with questionably clean linens start out fresh - tear it down to the ground and do a rebuild. To corporate Howard Johnson, I can not believe that you have not revoked the franchise. Pay a site visit and check out several of the rooms. The worst hell-hole motel rooms on earth, unworthy of a franchise logo and brand affiliation

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

We stayed in this hotel because my in-laws booked it for us. To begin with the price was $20 higher than the price the hotel advertises and it just got worse when we went into the room. The carpet and bathroom floor were both wet and the room stunk. The shower-head was leaking. We had to turn on the heat to dry out the floor. The bed and bedding was dirty and the chairs were even worse. The paint and tile was peeling and the chain bolt lock was broke. There also were 9 or 10 pencil size holes in our door. We dared to go look at the breakfast in the morning and there was a toilet sitting in the room with the food where they were fixing the bathroom in the check-in area. We definently will not be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hanau
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

This was one of the worst hotels I´ve ever stayed in. Every YMCA or youthhostel is cleaner!

It´s shabby, everything is worn down, it´s dirty - even the bed clothes are. You wouldn´t believe it´s a Ramada. But people must know it because most of the guests we´ve seen there were as shabby as the place.

It hasn´t the standard of a Ramada at all. How can they accept it?
It smashes the image of Ramada. We´ll avoid staying in a Ramada in the future.

Find something better! Won´t be difficult!

Stayed July 2008
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

This is one of those places that charges much more than the place is worth (we paid $79 after a discount for a room), and then rubs it in by giving you terrible service. The breakfast consists of bad danishes and some mock juice. The rooms are dingy, with cracks and damage appearing everywhere. You might think that it's worth it because the place has a pool, but check and make sure it's operating (it wasn't when we were there).

As far as the room, they hadn't cleaned it well. And rather than place a packaged bar of standard hotel soap on the sink, they left the used bar that the prior occupants had left! I have to say that that really disgusted me.

One of the 2 elevators was broken, and the one that worked was constantly being used by the cleaning staff (who didn't even apologize when they realized people were being forced to wait over 10 minutes!). When I mentioned this at check-out, there wasn't any response.

It's also one of those places where they try to collect an extra $1 per room for the "use" of a safety deposit box. We never use those ridiculous things (talk about a beacon to a thief about where to look for valuables!). I was only told about this charge upon check-out, and I said I didn't want to pay it. The desk clerk was decent about it and said they could give it back to me, but then a woman who was quietly sitting at their computer, told me it was not possible. Of course it is -- she just didn't want to go through the trouble. When I persisted, she dramatically went over to her purse and pulled out $2 for me.

When I left, I ran into 2 people who were shell-shocked at the rate (they paid $89/room) given how run down the place was. They said they couldn't believe it as well.

Bottom line is that you can do better by looking at the other Roanoke hotels -- don't be fooled into thinking this one has the quality of a typical Ramada.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service, price, cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport? Share your experiences!