“Stench and Safety Pins” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport

You added Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6520 Thirlane Road, I-81 Exit 143/I-581 Exit 2S, Roanoke, VA 24019   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #31 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
North Carolina
“Stench and Safety Pins”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

We went to Roanoke from NC for a short visit/over night stay. We stayed from Saturday to Sunday at another popular chain. Due to dense fog we could not leave town so we decided to stay another night in Roanoke. This time we chose to stay at the Knights Inn. Tthe staff never answered the phone to give us directions. when we arrived at the front desk the staff was sitting at a table playing cards, all of them barefoot. we got a non-smoking room, that had been smoked in many times over. every surface in room was marred by cigarettes burns including the tub and toilet seat. The room smelled of funk, the carpet smelled and the beds smelled. The toilet was dirty. We refused to use the shower. we slept in our clothes and had to run the air conditioner full blast in order to not smell the awful stench in the room. The curtains were tatered and had to be held together with safety pins. the remote control was held together with black electrical tape. the only thing right about the room was the 6am wake up call to get out of there. This Place Should Be Shut Down For Good!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sarasota, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

It was after dark & this place looked ok at the front desk & from the road. No one should have to stay here. The other reviews are correct in that the carpet was filthy with ground in dirt. We had our small dog & I didn't even want her to walk on the floor. The room smelled bad,the mattresses were horrible & linens were barely washed. I asked for extra blankets to change the ones on the beds & she asked me to "sign" for them-I refused.

A really bad experience---the worst of my life.

• Stayed December 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Roanoke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed overnight at Knights Inn. We asked for a smoking room but got a non-smoking room. We let that go. The sink had no stopper so if you by chance dropped anything around the sink, it probably would have gone down the drain. THEN the toilet got stopped up. We called the front desk and told them about the problem. Whoever answered the phone told my b/f that he needed to come get the plunger. My b/f refused to go get it. We called again and told them about the problem. Someone finally came and stuck a plunger in the door for us to take care of it. My b/f told him it wasnt our job or responsibility to plunge the toilet. The guy came on in and plunged the toilet with a bit of an attitude. That is nothing guests should have to take care of themselves.

• Stayed October 2005
forest, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

This was the worst place I have ever seen. They should be shut down permanently. It was filthy and unsafe. I suggest you go to the Super 8 up the hill.

• Stayed March 2006
edwardsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

We chose this hotel based on the review left in July of 2005. The rooms were very clean. They had a nice lobby in which they served the continental breakfast. The food was good and they had a wide variety of items to select from. All breakfast items must be eaten in the lobby. They do not allow you to take your breakfast back to your room to eat.
When we checked out, our room rate was several dollars less than we were quoted!
Overall, this is a very nice reasonable place to stay.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2005

Unfortunately I have to say I was VERY disappointed in the Knights Inn Hotel we stayed at.
1. We requested a non-smoking room and although there was a sign on the door stating this, there was an ashtray on the nightstand, burn marks on the top of the bathtub, and at least 3 burn marks on the top bedspread. It also smelled of smoke (or something else awful, which Lysol spray thankfully took care of for a few hours).
2. The bathtub's coating was pealing in many places - besides looking awful, it flaked into the water when we took showers.
3. The wallpaper in the bathroom was pealing at the corners, a lot behind the toilet, and all around the top of the shower. The top of the shower's caulk was also peeling or non-existent and the shower head casing was missing.
4. The lid for the top of the toilet was not the correct one - it was too small and you could see into the tank on both sides of it.
5. The ceiling had extensive yellowish marks like smoke or water damage through out the room.
6. The carpeting was dirty and had stuff on it like it wasn't vacuumed. It looked this way both when we arrived and also each day after the room was cleaned. It was even dirtier, with visible pieces of stuff in the corners and an inch away from all of the furniture, like when it was vacuumed it wasn't done very well.
7. Each day we left the room by 9am and returned no earlier than 9:30 pm as we were visiting our daughter, her husband, and our 2 grandchildren. On our last night at the hotel, we came back and just wanted to pack and take showers. Well, to our surprise, we only had 2 hand towels in the room - no wash cloths or bath towels. After my husband called the front desk, they said we would have to go down there and pick them up as no one was available.
8. The outside hallways were filthy and smelled.
9. We arrived at 4.5 hours early and were charged a $20 early check-in fee, which I believe is unusually high since the room was available.
10. The hotel's website said, "Pets are welcome with fee - $10.00 one time fee", which is one of the reasons I booked this hotel as most others were per day. When we checked out of the hotel and I saw a $30 charge for our dog, I questioned it and showed the man the printout from the website. He said that they have always charged $10 per day for pets and that the website was wrong. During our discussion of this he said that they didn't have anything to do with the web and I would have to talk with the "website people" but then before I left he said he would talk with his guy and have it changed! I was charged the $30, which I don't feel is correct.

All in all, this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at and the people at the front desk were not very helpful or friendly. I find this a disgrace to the Knights Inn hotel chain, especially when their website boldly states: "Clean Rooms. Friendly Service".

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2005

This is the worst place to stay in Roanoke. Upon opening the door the carpet stank! There were torn bedsheets on the bed and when there were request for extra towels we were told "We don't have any towels". Practically had to beg for extra towels. We went as a group on a softball team and no one was satified with the accomidations. There seamed to be a couple of families actually living in the hotel rooms below our room. A small child was allowed to play in the busy parking lot after a rain storm one evening in puddles of nasty water. Never again will my family stay in this Ramada Limited. It's not worth it.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport? Share your experiences!