“Highly Recommend!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6520 Thirlane Road, I-81 Exit 143/I-581 Exit 2S, Roanoke, VA 24019   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
edwardsville
“Highly Recommend!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

We chose this hotel based on the review left in July of 2005. The rooms were very clean. They had a nice lobby in which they served the continental breakfast. The food was good and they had a wide variety of items to select from. All breakfast items must be eaten in the lobby. They do not allow you to take your breakfast back to your room to eat.
When we checked out, our room rate was several dollars less than we were quoted!
Overall, this is a very nice reasonable place to stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2005

Unfortunately I have to say I was VERY disappointed in the Knights Inn Hotel we stayed at.
1. We requested a non-smoking room and although there was a sign on the door stating this, there was an ashtray on the nightstand, burn marks on the top of the bathtub, and at least 3 burn marks on the top bedspread. It also smelled of smoke (or something else awful, which Lysol spray thankfully took care of for a few hours).
2. The bathtub's coating was pealing in many places - besides looking awful, it flaked into the water when we took showers.
3. The wallpaper in the bathroom was pealing at the corners, a lot behind the toilet, and all around the top of the shower. The top of the shower's caulk was also peeling or non-existent and the shower head casing was missing.
4. The lid for the top of the toilet was not the correct one - it was too small and you could see into the tank on both sides of it.
5. The ceiling had extensive yellowish marks like smoke or water damage through out the room.
6. The carpeting was dirty and had stuff on it like it wasn't vacuumed. It looked this way both when we arrived and also each day after the room was cleaned. It was even dirtier, with visible pieces of stuff in the corners and an inch away from all of the furniture, like when it was vacuumed it wasn't done very well.
7. Each day we left the room by 9am and returned no earlier than 9:30 pm as we were visiting our daughter, her husband, and our 2 grandchildren. On our last night at the hotel, we came back and just wanted to pack and take showers. Well, to our surprise, we only had 2 hand towels in the room - no wash cloths or bath towels. After my husband called the front desk, they said we would have to go down there and pick them up as no one was available.
8. The outside hallways were filthy and smelled.
9. We arrived at 4.5 hours early and were charged a $20 early check-in fee, which I believe is unusually high since the room was available.
10. The hotel's website said, "Pets are welcome with fee - $10.00 one time fee", which is one of the reasons I booked this hotel as most others were per day. When we checked out of the hotel and I saw a $30 charge for our dog, I questioned it and showed the man the printout from the website. He said that they have always charged $10 per day for pets and that the website was wrong. During our discussion of this he said that they didn't have anything to do with the web and I would have to talk with the "website people" but then before I left he said he would talk with his guy and have it changed! I was charged the $30, which I don't feel is correct.

All in all, this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at and the people at the front desk were not very helpful or friendly. I find this a disgrace to the Knights Inn hotel chain, especially when their website boldly states: "Clean Rooms. Friendly Service".

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2005

This is the worst place to stay in Roanoke. Upon opening the door the carpet stank! There were torn bedsheets on the bed and when there were request for extra towels we were told "We don't have any towels". Practically had to beg for extra towels. We went as a group on a softball team and no one was satified with the accomidations. There seamed to be a couple of families actually living in the hotel rooms below our room. A small child was allowed to play in the busy parking lot after a rain storm one evening in puddles of nasty water. Never again will my family stay in this Ramada Limited. It's not worth it.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2005

This is the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I was taking my 83 year old grandmother to visit her sister in VA...when temps reached about 83 and our air condition did not work...we called to get it fixed or get a new room. The technician came to our room looked at it..and said it was working...but before leaving our room he called the front desk- from our phone..had a conversation for about 5 minutes in another language...and left us to 'sweat it out'...thankfully we had a great breeze from the gap under the front door where roaches came in and out!!!
Sleep in your car...its cleaner, cheaper and you prob have AC that works!

• Stayed May 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

We stayed at the knights Inn the weekend after mothers day in 04. I see by reading other reviews that the showers still are not fixed. My sister put her child in that shower only to be scalded by the hot water, and then frozen the next min. On the third day of our stay, there wasn't any hot water at all. When I called down to the desk I asked when the hot water problem would be fixed. The manager then told me not to worry about it because I would only be staying one more day!!! You want to bet? I packed my families 3 rooms in less than twenty min. and made us reservations at a much nicer hotel. This place isn't fit for livestock!

• Stayed May 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

My room had a beer bottle cap stuck onto the wall, the sheets were not clean or washed, cockroaches in the bathroom, bathroom door would not close properly without damaging the door edge. The air conditioner was not working making the room warm and stuffy, and was held up by tape and had no grilles. The staff was rude especially the technician who came to look at the air conditioner who kept insisting that the air conditioner was working. Was awake all night because of the lack of chilled air. I left the motel at 6am in search for a better place to stay. Avoid staying at all cost.

• Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2005

I have stayed at camp sites cleaner than this hotel. The shower is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I burned my scalp. Staff was not helpful. Rate promised during reservations was not honored. Stay somewhere else

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport? Share your experiences!