“Nice Stay for the Money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6520 Thirlane Road, I-81 Exit 143/I-581 Exit 2S, Roanoke, VA 24019   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #31 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Roanoke
“Nice Stay for the Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The staff were very nice and accomadating. The room was older not recently updated but everything was in great working order. It was very quiet and the king bed was very comfortable. The room cost was very cheap compared to other motel/hotels in the area. Overall it was a great stay for us and our 2 cats.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

For an overnite this place was fine. If one is looking to stay here for an extended stay, I wouldn't recommend it. It was clean, but a little run down. The location was perfect to get on/off the highway. The staff was friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Rocky Mount, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Over all I had a very pleasant stay. The staff was friendly and helpful, they even let me check in early. It was really helpful to allowed to check it early, because I work nights in the area but live a few hours away. The staff recommend places for lunch/dinner that would deliver, for my convenience. My room was clean, again the staff went out of their way to give me a room away for the road, it had a king size bed with a nice comfortable pillow top mattress. For a weekend I found it to be very quiet and relaxing. This hotel is decently priced for the area, and I stay here again. I even know the room I will request.

Room Tip: Rooms on office side back corner away for the road are the quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Roanoke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

My wife and I had a short getaway from my busy times as a mobile phone salesman and hers, we had decided to remt a nice place to stay for a little bit and have fun together. We needed that. We first booked here, mind you, we had even called ahead in advance to make absolutely sure this place would be good for us and satisfy our needs. We were assured by the man on the phone who identified himself only as "Cj" that this is a wonderful place. So we went ahead and booked for 7 nights. Mistake. Big one!
our shower didnt work to start out, and we spotted 2 roaches scurring across the bathroom floor! Also turns out there really is no Cj that works there, he only lied. Why he lied I won't ever know. We spoke to the manager to find that out, we were furious
. The managers name is ssunny sarvadaman shah and he does a terrible job being hospitable. During our brief conversation with him on the phone and in person, both very brief, he claimed that his hotel ABSOLUTELY does not have roaches. With emphasis on absolutely. He claimed that if our room had them we must have brought them in our bags. He offered us a refund after a lot of protest but only for 5 nights. Claiming we had stayed one and been in the room for half of another. We got our refund and we headed to Quality Inn at Tanglewood mall. 2 wasted and unhappy days at the Howard Johnson Inn. How this little place can be allowed to carry "airport" on the end of its title brings shame to the Roanoke Regional Airport, I must say.
Also the manager I mentioned, he is also the owner. He comes off as kind of friendly but quickly becomes mean and arrogant. He really did say this to me, he said " I am from India, we all know your games, you want a free stay, you are freeloading. I am a university graduate, I own gas stations I'm roanoke, I own different hotels, and I own Franklin Sqaure" how arrogant and cocky! I don't even know what Franklin Square is though, to be honest. whatever it is, he obviously is proud of that i guess. ..also, despite contacting Howard Johnson corporate and filing a formal complaint with customer services, nothing seems to have been done even after 2 phone calls.
I don't see how this dinky smelly little place is still in business.
If anyone wants to inquire to me about this place, feel free. I'll post my email and my name. I'll tell you how it is and exactly how I was treated., and management, you can send mail to apologize to my wife and i and give me that 2 night refund I'm still owed.I'll probably never see it.
Thanks. -Gustavo

gustavo_r@att.net

Room Tip: Just don't come!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Pleasantly suprised for the price. Clean, quiet and close to all interstates. On business here for a month. Two weeks in, heater problem, was fixed in 30 minutes. Staff has been great. Well lit, safe and secure. You could pay alot more for things you won't use but I have a budget. Just what I needed. John C.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport? Share your experiences!