“Good for the money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6520 Thirlane Road, I-81 Exit 143/I-581 Exit 2S, Roanoke, VA 24019   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Roanoke
Texas
“Good for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have read several negative comments about his hotel but I think people are over-sensationalizing some things. I just spent two night at this hotel and while it is not the Ritz-Carlton, for $50 a night you get what you pay for. Sure, there are some stains on the carpet and you can see where the rooms have been repainted but the bed was nice, the sheets were clean and everything worked in the room.
Add to that the breakfast and for the price it isn't bad. I have paid more money for less quality before so if you are on a budget then you might want to give this place a try. It is close to the airport and not too far from some great restaurants. In short, it doesn't suck.

Room Tip: I stayed on the backside of the hotel so there was no traffic coming through at night. You park in f...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I wish I would have read some of the reviews before choosing to stay at this hotel. The room was very dirty and in need of basic repair and cleaning. I did not take my shoes off the whole time I was in the room because the carpet looked like it had not ever been cleaned. The towels were no longer white and I had to go out a buy an air freshner because the room had a bad odor :( The rate was really cheap and now I know why - even for the good price I would never stay here again. I am just glad that I did not have my child with me - would not have stayed if I did. Would definately not recommend for anyone to stay here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

A good basic motel room. It was clean and reasonably priced. The room had a coffee machine,coffee,microwave,refrigerator, an iron and ironing board.The staff was friendly and helpful. There was even a coin washer and dryer.

Room Tip: Our room was a double on the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011 via mobile

If you want to see what a motel in need of drastic refurbishment looks like, this is the place to view. Dated, Odors galore for starters. We should have walked! Down load the Trip Advisor App and make a better informed decision than we did!

• Stayed September 2011
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Was able to get a cheap rate on Expedia and after checking in, I understood why. This place is in poor condition, dirty, bad odor, and un-friendly staff. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I don't travel to visit hotel rooms. This place functioned for the price I was willing to pay to suit the purpose of my travel.

My boxer and I had to leave the East Coast when hurricane Irene was threatening. I called them, found a room available, reasonably priced, OK with the dog, no hidden fees. All good. I was a little worried about how agreeable it had been so I called an hour out and they confirmed I was good to go.

Simple to find. (half mile off 581 from 81 on the east side of Roanoke) I arrived at 11 that night with the dog. Waffle House is across the parking lot and a Mexican restaurant is across the street.

I have been walking around barefoot in this smoking, pet friendly room for the past 12 hours and the bottom of my feet are still clean. (that;s one of my tests for the cleanliness of a hotel room)

I stayed in a downtown Roanoke hotel a few years back and it was nasty. This one? Not so bad. But I am a dog person. Free eggs, sausage and gravy, cereal breakfast, free wireless wi-fi in the room, fitness room, super nice staff.

I'll come back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Fishkill, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Ok, for a $39.99 coupon in one of the paper hotel/motel books you find in any local diner or rest area, it wasn't bad. However, I didn't expect Section 8 Housing! As I pulled up, it looked, ok. The lobby looked clean. The guy at the front desk was friendly, enough. We get in the car and turn to go around the side.... "Hmmm.... that's weird." While climbing the outside motel stairs to the second floor terrace, there were "eyes" upon us. More than a set or two. It took me some time, watching those folks, to realize this was Section 8 Housing. These people aren't driving through, nor on vacation. They are living here, full time! Creepy! The room was ok, but i certainly didn't feel it was "clean." We suffered through a night, although I did think several times about leaving before, settling in for a quick night's sleep.

If you're in need of a cheap room, feel like you could handle yourself in a "situation" and don't need "spic and span," then by all means, go for it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Roanoke/Airport? Share your experiences!