“Basic hotel with some issues” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Super 8 Roanoke to your Saves list
Super 8 Roanoke
Super 8 Roanoke
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   6616 Thirlane Road, I-81, I-581 Exit 2S, Roanoke, VA 24019   |
Ranked #24 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Innisfil, Canada
“Basic hotel with some issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is located right off of Hwy 117 S and is surrounded by 3 other hotels. We had a ground floor room which is actually below ground level but has a large ramp system if you have mobility issues. It has the basic fridge/micro/coffee set up which is nice.

There unfortunately seems to be a pretty pervasive smell ( stale smoke & cleaning products) throughout the building. We went for dinner and left the air con on low just to try to freshen the room only to arrive back and get hit with a sweet, burning smell wafting from the unit. The front desk was advised but we did not change rooms just opened up the windows and ran the bathroom fan to help get rid of the odor.

Breakfast is pretty basic and in a very small room they also use as storage for extra fridges and microwaves. I went to the desk to ask for more milk and the staff member acted like I had asked her to actually milk the cow... she was sullen and got me the milk but did not top up the other supplies while she was there.

Bottom line... I think I'd go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelli G, Public Relations Manager at Super 8 Roanoke, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello there i would like to thank you for you recent review on your stay at our location. I want to start by addressing some of the issues you had. First let me say that we are under new management and are taking every appropriate measure necessary to get this motel up and running correctly. I want to apoligize for any smell of smoke or cleaning products that you had to deal with when you were our guests. I have had a meeting with all housekeeping staff and have made them all aware that if the front desk isn't notified of these issues we will not be able to deal with them correctly. We are doing alot of remodeling both inside and out so again that would explain the breakfast area was being used to store extra items. I would also like to mention that we are here for our guests and also because of our guests so the fact that the front desk made it and issue about refilling the breakfast items is a huge disappointment and I have also spoken with our front desk staff regarding this. Again thank you so much for being our guests at the motel and we hope that you will give us another try if you are in our area. If so please let whomever takes your reservation know about your previous issues and I will personally check your room myself. Thanks again.

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Roanoke, Virginia, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

property was well placed to see Roanoak, staff was very friendly and the room was clean, overall for the price, it was a good find.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Kelli G, Public Relations Manager at Super 8 Roanoke, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad the our motel could accommodate your needs and hope to see you in the future. Thanks again.
Papeete, French Polynesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Goals : an easy go-in come-out motel with 1/the Golf Channel 2/free in-room wi-fi 3/fridge and micro-wave oven
And?: Goals were achieved BUT the overall quality of the stay was poor
Check-in: no particular warmth or welcoming attitude, questions asked could not be answered (do you have the Golf channel? Don't know....how long is a dryer cycle? Don't know....)
Horrible detergents smell in the corridors
Room : large, with fridge, microwave oven, coffe maker, but....the 1970's TV, the ugly synthetic bed cover, the curtains, the stained carpet...everything was old old old, not nice, does not give you a good feeling, awful bedding (forget using the pillows, fortunately, we had our own)...
Included breakfast: forget it or bring your own food, there was not even hard boiled eggs, it was poor, really
We've stayed at several Super 8 motels before, and have enjoyed them, clean, neat, with modern equipment.......and hard boiled eggs.......we know what to expect when paying econo-rates motels and are very partial, but this Super 8 Motel, is a NO.

Room Tip: Choose another motel is my advice
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelli G, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Roanoke, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Good morning I wanted to apologize for any issues that occurred during your stay at out location. We want every guest to leave happy. I do apologize for the unpleasant check in you received and have already spoken with all front desk staff about it. It just isn't expectable. I also printed out numerous channel list an now not only do they know them but they have them to give to our guests. We have ordered all new pillow an bedding an are doing a lot of upgrades to the motel an we hope you will give us another try. Thanks so much and take care.
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

A friend and I travelled up from GA and stayed two nights. The hotel was very clean and suitable. Spartan room as expected, but bed was comfortable, bathroom clean and acceptable. Breakfast bar was forgettable, but a great Waffle House was right across the parking lot anyway. Great value and right off 81/581! I'd stay there again. We found another Super 8 in Salem closer to games and owned by same owner. Equally as nice and also a great value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Kelli G, Public Relations Manager at Super 8 Roanoke, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Well hello you guys were very great guests for us to have and we are glad that we could make your stay here pleasant. Thank you very much for the wonderful review and we are glad to know the move to the other motel went well. Take care and hopefully we will see you again soon.
Fort Mill
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed for one night at Super 8 in Roanoke. The room was a non smoking room but stunk of stale smoke. Staff seem friendly upon check in and check out. location was okay, little difficult to get back on to 581 south bound. Price was probably more than what the value of the room was.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hi I wanted to get back to you on your recent review for our motel and start off by apologizing for any issue you had at our location. We have spoken to all housekeeping and now they have deep cleaned all rooms and I can assure you the musty smell problem is gone. We do not have any smoking rooms on our second floor which may be something good to keep in mind if you decide to stay with us again. Thank you so much for you review and we hope you will give our hotel another try. Have a great evening.

Been to Super 8 Roanoke? Share your experiences!