“Good stop, but desk clerk needs re-training!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Roanoke
Whittier NC
“Good stop, but desk clerk needs re-training!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stopped here on a vacation trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Arrived without a reservation, but they had rooms available. The desk clerk - identified on my bill as Josh, a middle aged man - acted like he didn't know what he was doing. I explained that we were Hilton Honors members, and asked if he could look up our number before booking us so I would get credit for the stay. We had done this the night before at another Hilton Hotel with no problem. My first name is four letters long, very simple, very easy to understand. I spelled it for him three times, and three times he got it wrong when he repeated it to me. Finally he asked if I could get my receipt from the night before so he could find the number on there. I went to the car - a car we'd been travelling in for two days, packed with suitcases, a cooler, picnic items, etc. - and could not quickly produce the receipt. I went back in, and he said I could just take care of all that later by calling the Honors program myself. I went to the car to start loading it up, and my husband told me later when I'd gone to look for the receipt the guy said, "I can't hear much, my sinuses are bothering me". And then there is the fact he typed with one finger. People were stacking up waiting to be checked in while he hunted and pecked.

Other than that unpleasant little scenario, the stay was very nice. The beds were comfortable, room was clean and quiet, everything in working order.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Dellicious

Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Very nice, clean atmosphere, with a very comfortable bed I didn't want to get out of! Just so everyone knows, the renovations to the hotel appear to be finished. I had a talk with a very nice night auditor named Stanley, and he told me that they had added alot of rooms to the hotel during the renovations, and that it was pretty extensive. I stayed here on a whim to get off the highway, and it was much better than I was hoping. Wish there had been a little more restuarantAll of the staff I talked to were very professional, and willing to help out when necessary. I would suggest this hotel if you are in the Roanoke area, or driving through Virginia on I-81 and need a good "halfway" point to stop at.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

We drove to GA from Nova Scotia in October, 2009. We stopped in Roanoke on night 2 of our journey and went to the Hampton Inn at the I-81 exit. Nice, standard Hampton Inn but this one was undergoing renovations. The deskclerk was a little less than helpful and rather rude, I thought. Most folks in VA are generally quite nice but he must have been the exception. Our room was enormous! It had a little kitchen area and a huge room with couch, chairs and a king bed. All in all very luxe! We went to the Mexican restaurant next door for supper and had a good nights sleep. Breakfast the next morning was not the usual Hampton Inn standard as the dining room was under reno. We were all crammed into a small room and the tables were all tight together. Not the best arrangement.
4 nights later we were on our way back home and stopped here again. They were apparently full and when my husband mentioned we had stayed here 4 nights earlier the same deskclerk snarled "Well I see about a thousand people a day so how do you think I would remember you?" Rude! We went next door to the Marriot, were welcomed very warmly and we had a nice stay there. We went out to eat at a Keg, that night.
I'm sure the Hampton Inn here will be very nice when the reno's are done and we would probably stay there again. Buddy at the desk on the evening shift ( older guy) needs an attitude adjustment or retirement. Everyone else working there was nice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nsjetsetters
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

Common areas unsatisfactory. Under construction and inconvenient to get to room.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
West Covina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Made it to this Hampton Inn while on business. Nothing fantastic, but not terrible. Theres no location, its just a hotel on a road. The room was pretty nice, barebones but nothing out of the ordinary. My only problem with the hotel was parking, they didnt seem to have adequate room for my trailer so i had to park the van in one spot and unhitch my trailer. Friendly staff and conveniently right off i-81!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

I like Hilton, and especially enjoy staying in Hampton inn. However, I want to tell you my bad experience I had recently in the hampton inn, Roanoke/Hollins - I-81.
I made a reservation in the hotel using my HHonors points (Actually I bought some points of them with money) and got the Hampton Confirmation. I was going to arrive at the hotel late night, and called the hotel about 4 PM, saying "I will reach your hotel around 1:30 or 2 AM". The hotel staff answered me " OK! no problem". I was driving from upstate New York. Unfortunately because of my GPS which guided me a mountain road, I lost my way and arrived at the hotel at 4 AM. However, when I met the hotel staff on the front, he told that my reservation was cancelled becuase I was not shown until 3 AM, saying that is the policy of the hotel. But in the cancellation Policy of the confirmation mail I got, it was written, " Your reservation is guaranteed for late arrival". Even the staff whom I called at 4 PM did not notify me such an important fact. The staff asked me to pay money if I want to stay at the hotel. As it was very late time, I was very tired and had no more strength to argue with him over this problem.
However, even until now I get still angry whenever I remember it. I can't understand how such a thing can happen in the internationally famous hotel. I suppose that they wouldn't served me like that, if I made a reservation with money, not the hhonors point because I already had experience of late arrival and staying at the other hotel booked with my credit card. I think this is the trust problem of Hhonors program you still should improve, not the just problem of hotel policy.
I want to end my story as I thank an angel person, who was the hotel guest and showed me the kindness I will not experience again.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Inyoung J
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2008

My family stayed at this property on Nov 22 while traveling on vacation. This property must have made the minimum effort when Hampton Inn changed its look a few years ago. There is nothing deluxe about the rooms and they are not as "perfectly clean" as most Hampton Inns. Even the amenities in the bathroom are minimal, just shampoo and moisturizer (not even conditioner). I am a Diamond HHonors member and normally would be provided bottled water but none was provided. The hotel is also undergoing construction to expand its capacity so a section of the parking lot is closed. However, these problems were minor compared to the main point of irritation, an unresponsive staff that appeared to not be empowered by management and management that is unresponsive to complaints from guests.

When I told the front desk clerk that there was no bottled water or conditioner in my room, he replied that the hotel "never" provides conditioner, only shampoo. He also told me that the hotel was out of bottled water and added that "we don't provide mouthwash either..." I then went to a local store to buy both conditioner and bottled water. When I left the handicapped parking space in which I was parked (one of my children is severely disabled and wheelchair-bound), there were at least three open handicapped spaces. When I returned 20 minutes later, ALL of the parking lot spaces were taken including handicapped spaces. I noticed that a car with neither a handicap placard nor a handicap license plate was parked in one of the spaces designated for handicapped guests and reported it to the desk clerk. He explained that the construction made parking at the hotel tight. I asked that he have the car towed and that he report my dissatisfaction with that condition and the others stated above. He refused, restating the impact of construction on parking, and accused me of being condescending. If my family had not already fallen asleep, I would have left immediately.

This property is a dump compared to other Hampton Inns in which I've stayed. Clearly, the management does not care about either HHonors status (none of the advertised perks, not even a smooth check-in... the clerk had to hunt and peck to find my reservation and never even made a semi-cordial welcoming gesture) or adhering to the Americans with Disabilities Act. I was not satisfied and made my dissatisfaction known with no response from management. Bottom line: this property needs to go the way of other sub-standard Hampton Inns and become a Howard Johnson, Ramada, or Comfort Inn. It's an embarrassment to an otherwise reliable hotel chain.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The unresponsive staff.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
      Cleanliness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke
Cambria Hotel & Suites
Cambria Hotel & Suites
#2 of 39 in Roanoke
4.5 of 5 stars 602 reviews

Been to Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81? Share your experiences!