“Sub-standard Hampton Inn” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Sub-standard Hampton Inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2008

My family stayed at this property on Nov 22 while traveling on vacation. This property must have made the minimum effort when Hampton Inn changed its look a few years ago. There is nothing deluxe about the rooms and they are not as "perfectly clean" as most Hampton Inns. Even the amenities in the bathroom are minimal, just shampoo and moisturizer (not even conditioner). I am a Diamond HHonors member and normally would be provided bottled water but none was provided. The hotel is also undergoing construction to expand its capacity so a section of the parking lot is closed. However, these problems were minor compared to the main point of irritation, an unresponsive staff that appeared to not be empowered by management and management that is unresponsive to complaints from guests.

When I told the front desk clerk that there was no bottled water or conditioner in my room, he replied that the hotel "never" provides conditioner, only shampoo. He also told me that the hotel was out of bottled water and added that "we don't provide mouthwash either..." I then went to a local store to buy both conditioner and bottled water. When I left the handicapped parking space in which I was parked (one of my children is severely disabled and wheelchair-bound), there were at least three open handicapped spaces. When I returned 20 minutes later, ALL of the parking lot spaces were taken including handicapped spaces. I noticed that a car with neither a handicap placard nor a handicap license plate was parked in one of the spaces designated for handicapped guests and reported it to the desk clerk. He explained that the construction made parking at the hotel tight. I asked that he have the car towed and that he report my dissatisfaction with that condition and the others stated above. He refused, restating the impact of construction on parking, and accused me of being condescending. If my family had not already fallen asleep, I would have left immediately.

This property is a dump compared to other Hampton Inns in which I've stayed. Clearly, the management does not care about either HHonors status (none of the advertised perks, not even a smooth check-in... the clerk had to hunt and peck to find my reservation and never even made a semi-cordial welcoming gesture) or adhering to the Americans with Disabilities Act. I was not satisfied and made my dissatisfaction known with no response from management. Bottom line: this property needs to go the way of other sub-standard Hampton Inns and become a Howard Johnson, Ramada, or Comfort Inn. It's an embarrassment to an otherwise reliable hotel chain.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The unresponsive staff.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

I have just returned from a 6 night stay at this Hampton Inn. The hotel is clean and the staff is very helpful and courteous. They allowed for me to be able to ship my packages directly to my hotel before my arrival.

On my final night at the hotel, the smoke detector in my room began to beep to signify a low battery. The sound was extremely high pitched and since I was at the hotel on business, quiteness is of prime concern to me. I notified the front desk and they promptly sent someone over to change the battery. Unfortunately, the unti was too high up on the wall to reach without a ladder. The hotel staff was not properly equipped to fix the issue without the assistance of maintenance. The manager on duty upgraded me to a suite in an effort to make things easier on me. I was impressed at the level of serivice I received at such a small chain hotel.

They are very few restaurants in this area, but there are quite a few pizza places and chinese restaurants that deliver. There is a local restaurant and bakery about a mile away where I ate several times during my stay. There is a charming "downtown" area and shopping mall about 10 - 15 minutes away from the hotel with many chain restaurants as well as "Roanoke Originals"
Overall I this was a pleasant stay and I am extremely fussy! I recommend this hotel to any traveler who needs proximity to Hollins University and who may desire to be "away from it all".

• Liked — I liked appreciated the fact that the hotel offers free wireless access.
  • Disliked — The beds were not especially comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
batesville indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

This stay was OK but not what we expect and usually get at a Hampton. The staff was efficient but the room had small problems. Bathroom door not hung properly, lock difficult to deal with, noisy AC, and poor TV. The room was not terribly clean with cob webs on ceiling and accumulated dirt in corners. We would probably look elsewhere on next visit to area.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

Unusual for a Hampton as it was a motel rather than hotel. Clerk at checkin was very nice. Rooms were a good size and had fridge and microwave. Bathroom had bath and separate shower which was great. Breakfast was served in the lobby.

• Liked — Rooms having walk in shower
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

Overall this was a nice, clean hotel. It was a bit overpriced. We voluntarily paid a little more for the indoor pool. That was the problem. The pool was too cold to be comfortable. The air temp was about normal room temp, which is too cold for a pool area. The concrete was like ice. The water temp was worse. It was painfully cold. Our kids' lips literally turned blue in the five minutes we were in the water.

• Liked — convenient location to I-81
  • Disliked — cold indoor pool
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

My family and I stayed here on our way to Richmond and I have to say that this was the best hotel of the entire trip. The room was very clean and comfortable. It had a desk, nice chair and ottoman and a pretty comfortable bed. It had inside hallways and nice-sized bathrooms. I have a 3 month old so I tend to be very picky when it comes to hotels but I was extremely comfortable here. The only reason that I am ranking them "above average" instead of "excellent" is simply because at times the staff at the front desk would take a while to get to you. I myself had to wait for a few minutes on someone to assist me (they were in the back somewhere) and I also viewed another customer waiting at the front desk for someone to assist him. However, I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

In a quiet location. Our King rm had easy chair & ottoman, floor lamp, work desk with creaky straight back chair, poor TV reception, peeling wallpaper in corner of room and in the bathroom. Good quiet A/C. Exercise room had 2 poor treadmills.

• Liked — quiet location
  • Disliked — TV reception, creaky chair, peeling wallpaper, lousy treadmills
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81? Share your experiences!