“Great Price and Nice Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #17 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great Price and Nice Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

I have just returned from a 6 night stay at this Hampton Inn. The hotel is clean and the staff is very helpful and courteous. They allowed for me to be able to ship my packages directly to my hotel before my arrival.

On my final night at the hotel, the smoke detector in my room began to beep to signify a low battery. The sound was extremely high pitched and since I was at the hotel on business, quiteness is of prime concern to me. I notified the front desk and they promptly sent someone over to change the battery. Unfortunately, the unti was too high up on the wall to reach without a ladder. The hotel staff was not properly equipped to fix the issue without the assistance of maintenance. The manager on duty upgraded me to a suite in an effort to make things easier on me. I was impressed at the level of serivice I received at such a small chain hotel.

They are very few restaurants in this area, but there are quite a few pizza places and chinese restaurants that deliver. There is a local restaurant and bakery about a mile away where I ate several times during my stay. There is a charming "downtown" area and shopping mall about 10 - 15 minutes away from the hotel with many chain restaurants as well as "Roanoke Originals"
Overall I this was a pleasant stay and I am extremely fussy! I recommend this hotel to any traveler who needs proximity to Hollins University and who may desire to be "away from it all".

• Liked — I liked appreciated the fact that the hotel offers free wireless access.
  • Disliked — The beds were not especially comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
batesville indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

This stay was OK but not what we expect and usually get at a Hampton. The staff was efficient but the room had small problems. Bathroom door not hung properly, lock difficult to deal with, noisy AC, and poor TV. The room was not terribly clean with cob webs on ceiling and accumulated dirt in corners. We would probably look elsewhere on next visit to area.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

Unusual for a Hampton as it was a motel rather than hotel. Clerk at checkin was very nice. Rooms were a good size and had fridge and microwave. Bathroom had bath and separate shower which was great. Breakfast was served in the lobby.

• Liked — Rooms having walk in shower
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

Overall this was a nice, clean hotel. It was a bit overpriced. We voluntarily paid a little more for the indoor pool. That was the problem. The pool was too cold to be comfortable. The air temp was about normal room temp, which is too cold for a pool area. The concrete was like ice. The water temp was worse. It was painfully cold. Our kids' lips literally turned blue in the five minutes we were in the water.

• Liked — convenient location to I-81
  • Disliked — cold indoor pool
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

My family and I stayed here on our way to Richmond and I have to say that this was the best hotel of the entire trip. The room was very clean and comfortable. It had a desk, nice chair and ottoman and a pretty comfortable bed. It had inside hallways and nice-sized bathrooms. I have a 3 month old so I tend to be very picky when it comes to hotels but I was extremely comfortable here. The only reason that I am ranking them "above average" instead of "excellent" is simply because at times the staff at the front desk would take a while to get to you. I myself had to wait for a few minutes on someone to assist me (they were in the back somewhere) and I also viewed another customer waiting at the front desk for someone to assist him. However, I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

In a quiet location. Our King rm had easy chair & ottoman, floor lamp, work desk with creaky straight back chair, poor TV reception, peeling wallpaper in corner of room and in the bathroom. Good quiet A/C. Exercise room had 2 poor treadmills.

• Liked — quiet location
  • Disliked — TV reception, creaky chair, peeling wallpaper, lousy treadmills
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2007

The positive aspects of this hotel are its close location to both I-81 and Roanoke and the refrigerator and microwave in the room which helps me save money on business trips. The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the Hilton style curved shower rod that keeps the curtain from flapping against me is always appreciated. This property appears to be converted from a Holiday inn. All of the rooms that I saw were outside access but that is actually a plus as far as I am concerned. You can park very close to your door and not have to walk up and down interior corridors weaving around cleaning personnel and room service trays. The bed linens are clean as are the towels and wash cloths but those appear to be handed down from other Hilton properties and washed often enough for the tags to have faded indicating how often they have been used. The in-room wireless Internet is free and VERY fast. I will stay here every time I visit Roanoke as it is much nicer than the other Roanoke hotel properties. The worst part about the room is the air conditioner. It works very well but does not have a selector switch that allows the fan to keep air moving in the room with the AC off. You either get AC or you get nothing and the AC is right next to the table where you work so desk top workers freeze while others in the room feel comfortable.

• Liked — Price, Refrigerator & Microwave, Location
  • Disliked — Air Conditioning
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81? Share your experiences!