“A little sub par for Hampton” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
batesville indiana
“A little sub par for Hampton”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

This stay was OK but not what we expect and usually get at a Hampton. The staff was efficient but the room had small problems. Bathroom door not hung properly, lock difficult to deal with, noisy AC, and poor TV. The room was not terribly clean with cob webs on ceiling and accumulated dirt in corners. We would probably look elsewhere on next visit to area.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

Unusual for a Hampton as it was a motel rather than hotel. Clerk at checkin was very nice. Rooms were a good size and had fridge and microwave. Bathroom had bath and separate shower which was great. Breakfast was served in the lobby.

• Liked — Rooms having walk in shower
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

Overall this was a nice, clean hotel. It was a bit overpriced. We voluntarily paid a little more for the indoor pool. That was the problem. The pool was too cold to be comfortable. The air temp was about normal room temp, which is too cold for a pool area. The concrete was like ice. The water temp was worse. It was painfully cold. Our kids' lips literally turned blue in the five minutes we were in the water.

• Liked — convenient location to I-81
  • Disliked — cold indoor pool
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

My family and I stayed here on our way to Richmond and I have to say that this was the best hotel of the entire trip. The room was very clean and comfortable. It had a desk, nice chair and ottoman and a pretty comfortable bed. It had inside hallways and nice-sized bathrooms. I have a 3 month old so I tend to be very picky when it comes to hotels but I was extremely comfortable here. The only reason that I am ranking them "above average" instead of "excellent" is simply because at times the staff at the front desk would take a while to get to you. I myself had to wait for a few minutes on someone to assist me (they were in the back somewhere) and I also viewed another customer waiting at the front desk for someone to assist him. However, I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

In a quiet location. Our King rm had easy chair & ottoman, floor lamp, work desk with creaky straight back chair, poor TV reception, peeling wallpaper in corner of room and in the bathroom. Good quiet A/C. Exercise room had 2 poor treadmills.

• Liked — quiet location
  • Disliked — TV reception, creaky chair, peeling wallpaper, lousy treadmills
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2007

The positive aspects of this hotel are its close location to both I-81 and Roanoke and the refrigerator and microwave in the room which helps me save money on business trips. The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the Hilton style curved shower rod that keeps the curtain from flapping against me is always appreciated. This property appears to be converted from a Holiday inn. All of the rooms that I saw were outside access but that is actually a plus as far as I am concerned. You can park very close to your door and not have to walk up and down interior corridors weaving around cleaning personnel and room service trays. The bed linens are clean as are the towels and wash cloths but those appear to be handed down from other Hilton properties and washed often enough for the tags to have faded indicating how often they have been used. The in-room wireless Internet is free and VERY fast. I will stay here every time I visit Roanoke as it is much nicer than the other Roanoke hotel properties. The worst part about the room is the air conditioner. It works very well but does not have a selector switch that allows the fan to keep air moving in the room with the AC off. You either get AC or you get nothing and the AC is right next to the table where you work so desk top workers freeze while others in the room feel comfortable.

• Liked — Price, Refrigerator & Microwave, Location
  • Disliked — Air Conditioning
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during the Virginia Bar Exam. I was anxious about the commute into downtown, but it was very easy and only took about 10 minutes -- traffic moved well and everything.

The hotel itself was quite pleasant. When I checked in, I was initially dismayed to learn that they did not have any king bed rooms available as I had booked (despite checking in at 3:30 pm) -- however, the front desk person immediately offered me a rate discount to make up for giving me a two double bed room instead. I was very pleased and also very surprised by their willingness to try to make things right -- in other hotels where this problem has occurred, I got mostly a shrug of the shoulders and an "oh well." A few minutes after reaching my room, that same front desk person called me -- I had mentioned that I was taking the bar exam, and he realized he had put me in a room nearby a middle school sports team. He offered to move me to a different floor away from them so that they would not interfere with my ability to sleep or study. I was extremely impressed by his thoughtfulness and initiative of offering to move me after check-in.

Room was clean and comfortable. This Hampton Inn has upgraded their beds from the traditional polyester bedcovers to nice cotton duvets and throw pillows. My only complaint with the room was the air conditioner -- while effective in cooling the room, there was no way to make it so that the fan ran continuously. Instead, the air conditioner switched on and off every so often, which bothered me as I was trying to fall asleep (once I fell asleep, however, it did not wake me up).

Breakfast was fine. Good selection of breads, pastries, cereals, and fruit. Also a hot option every day -- the french toast was tasty, but the eggs were not that great. Go for the biscuits and gravy instead.

In any case, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and was extremely impressed by the staff. Would recommend.

• Liked — Staff, cleanliness, beds, free wireless Internet
  • Disliked — Slightly noisy air conditioners
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81? Share your experiences!