“Well below the average Hampton Inn” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #17 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Well below the average Hampton Inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I've stayed twice at this property with my family. The first stay (3 years ago) was quite pleasant and within the "average" for the Hampton Inn Brand quality (perhaps towards the higher end of average at that point). Unfortunate, our stay in March 2013 was a different story.
The room was clean and adequate. The problems were:
1) The breakfast was far below average. The standard Hapton Inn menu was poorly prepared and very poorly managed. In particular, the fruit salad had a "rotten" or partially fermented (in an unpleasant way) flavor. The attendant was surley.
2) The stair wells were dirty and some of the stairs were quite sticky. This problem persisted over the entire 3 day stay (no apparently cleaning at all).
3) The hall ways had dirty carpets as did the front lobby areas
4) The front desk staff was uneven. One of the resources working there was actually very helpful. Several others were clearly uninterested in talking with customers.
5) (a minor point - sorry to nitpick but it is a point my wife made) - the in-room hotel guide contained some incorrect information including the statement that the "Roanoke Star" was visible from the hotel - it clearly wasn't and the front desk was confused when I asked about it.
6) The room cleaning service was uneven - 1 cleaning service was fine, in the other, we got no clean towels (there were no towels left at all!). The front desk staff was helpful in rectifying the problem within 10 minutes when I called.
7) The AC/fan didn't work properly - luckily, it wasn't too hot although it got stuffy/smelly in our room as a result of no ventilation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good AC unit.

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The bathroom towels were paper thin and gray, when I complained I was given more paper thin towels with stains! That's all they have, I was told! The hotel was $125.00 for the night, for old thin towels, I wont stay there again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our last night of vacation entailed one last stop. We knew what we were looking for and found it all right here, close to I-81. Great service, decent price, awesome sleeping conditions with lots of pillows, strong and hot shower and good wi-fi. The included breakfast was well-laid out with more choices than most. Keeping this hotel on my favorite list.

• Stayed March 2013
Arab, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed one night here on our way home from vacation. We checked in late at night, so we did not get to use the pool or fitness center. Our room was huge! The room was very clean. The bathroom was very clean. The king size mattress was the most uncomfortable mattress I've ever slept on. It was so firm that it literally felt like sleeping on a piece of ply-wood. I have never had this problem at other Hamptons, so I don't know if it just needs replacing or if whoever bought the mattresses like very firm mattresses. The breakfast provided was very disappointing. There were scrambled eggs and biscuits with gravy. There was no meat offered.....no bacon or sausage. We ended up leaving the breakfast and grabbing some fast food. The breakfast choices really need to be upgraded. My husband left his cell phone charger in the room when we checked out. As soon as we realized it, we called the hotel. They were suppose to check the room and call us back, but we never received a phone call. It was an ok place to stay for one night.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I think the title says it all. Have stayed in this hotel before and had a great experience. This time, not so much. As for the hotel, it is fantastic. Great rooms, beds, breakfast, etc... The staff really leaves something to be desired though. Cant be bothered with ANYTHING that is going to require even a minimal amount of work, thinking, or common sense.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a typical Hampton Inn with a little wear on the furnishings. The staff is competent and the rooms are typical Hampton, with a great bed and fresh linens and a fairly nice bathroom with amenities. Internet was free, although a little slow. We were happy with the room for the price, but were disappointed with the breakfast, which had no protein offerings and was kind of cheap-I think Hampton is generally letting their breakfasts deteriorate as this is the third in a row that had a mediocre breakfast. i would prefer to pay a little more for a better offering. If you are travelling I-81, this is an OK choice, but we will continue to look for a better alternative.

Room Tip: highway. Although the highway is not directly next to the hotel, you can hear the Jake brakes of th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Elmira, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

If you like and are comfortable with Hampton Inns, this one will satisfy. Our room was clean and tidy, sleeping was relaxing and quiet, the breakfast area was well-stocked and we finally got the sausage gravy we were hoping for in our trip to the South. If we were in the area again, we would stop at this Hampton Inn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81? Share your experiences!