“Not a bad experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Charleston
“Not a bad experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Safe and close to the interstate, easy on/off. I haven't stayed in many Hampton Inn properties but it seemed just like the others... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The hotel was basic but clean, room was average sized, bed was comfy but thought the bathroom could be a bit bigger. The walls in my room were thin as I could here noise in the room next door and also in the hallways but I can be a light sleeper at times. Staff was ok, check in was quick but employee at the desk wasn't very personable. The hotel seems to be a good place to grab some sleep when coming off the highway for a recharge of the batteries, not so sure if I would suggest staying here for long periods of time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We came here after an unpleasant experience at a nearby hotel. This property was a really pleasant change. The staff was friendly and professional and the accommodations were very clean and comfortable. This was certainly worth the $10 more than the price of the other hotel. In the morning we had the best hotel breakfast on our trip from Massachusetts to Florida and back. Breakfast to go bags with a breakfast bar, muffin, apple, bottled water and breath mints were also at the front desk. We felt welcome, appreciated and well cared for at this Hampton Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bristol, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

This hotel has obviously been improved recently and offers basic lodging in a nice,
clean and comfortable environment close to the interstate and to Hollins University. It is a
quick, easy 10 minute drive to downtown.
When you walk in, though, you smell chlorine - the pool is right there off the lobby. This also supplies a slippery surface so be aware. Breakfast area is large and nice with lots of seating. AND there is a waffle maker!
Also unlike some hotels with long hallways, this hotel has a second set of elevators, which is much appreciated. Parking may be difficult when it is full. Now unfortunately, the A/C unit in the room was noisy and did not keep the room evenly cool.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

If you want inside corridors, then stay at this one, not the one by the airport. It was typical Hampton Inn. Helpful staff guided me to mall. Great shopping and Carrabas restaurant, whose staff was also super fun.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Nashville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

The Hampton Inn on Plantation Road is clean and attractive, but I only recommend it for very sound sleepers. Our king deluxe room with whirlpool bath is spacious, clean, and comfortable. An upholstered chair with ottoman, desk, and chair are convenient. The whirlpool tub is great after a long drive. (Note to housekeeping: the jet spray nozzles need to be cleaned when you clean the tub.) A wet bar with microwave and small refrigerator is an added convenience in the deluxe room. The bathroom is roomy and clean. The room and bath are very nice.

The negative attribute of this room is the Noise. We heard a rumbling noise all night long. The rumble could not be heard outside the hotel, so the noise had to be something inside the hotel. Additionally, trucks traveled down the road out front all night. I wish I could say that the heat and air unit is quiet, but even with the fan speed set on low speed, the sound of the force of air is very noticeable when the unit activates. We had hoped to be able to just run the fan all night without cooling for white noise, but this unit does not have a fan only setting. In all fairness, the AC unit might not have been an issue if there had been no rumbling and road noises. We had specifically requested a Quiet room in our reservation. At check in, we commented to the desk clerk about the fact that we were being given a room facing the highway. His reply was that all the deluxe rooms are on the front and that no one ever has a complaint about noise. (I think he doesn’t hear any complaints because he’s gone the next morning when guests are checking out.)

The breakfast and dining room amenities are as good as we expect at Hampton Inn. The breakfast hostess is cheerful, and she stays busy keeping the food choices available. Scrambled eggs and sausage are the hot items available for the morning of our stay. The area is clean and attractive.

Was the value right for the price paid? For us, no. Even with an AAA or AARP discount, the price is about $10 more than it should be compared to similar hotels. Add that to the lost sleep, and I’m not happy with the cost/value ratio. The room and bath are very nice, and I would give this hotel a 4-star rating if it weren’t for the noise. We won’t recommend this hotel, and we won’t stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Whittier NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stopped here on a vacation trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Arrived without a reservation, but they had rooms available. The desk clerk - identified on my bill as Josh, a middle aged man - acted like he didn't know what he was doing. I explained that we were Hilton Honors members, and asked if he could look up our number before booking us so I would get credit for the stay. We had done this the night before at another Hilton Hotel with no problem. My first name is four letters long, very simple, very easy to understand. I spelled it for him three times, and three times he got it wrong when he repeated it to me. Finally he asked if I could get my receipt from the night before so he could find the number on there. I went to the car - a car we'd been travelling in for two days, packed with suitcases, a cooler, picnic items, etc. - and could not quickly produce the receipt. I went back in, and he said I could just take care of all that later by calling the Honors program myself. I went to the car to start loading it up, and my husband told me later when I'd gone to look for the receipt the guy said, "I can't hear much, my sinuses are bothering me". And then there is the fact he typed with one finger. People were stacking up waiting to be checked in while he hunted and pecked.

Other than that unpleasant little scenario, the stay was very nice. The beds were comfortable, room was clean and quiet, everything in working order.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Very nice, clean atmosphere, with a very comfortable bed I didn't want to get out of! Just so everyone knows, the renovations to the hotel appear to be finished. I had a talk with a very nice night auditor named Stanley, and he told me that they had added alot of rooms to the hotel during the renovations, and that it was pretty extensive. I stayed here on a whim to get off the highway, and it was much better than I was hoping. Wish there had been a little more restuarantAll of the staff I talked to were very professional, and willing to help out when necessary. I would suggest this hotel if you are in the Roanoke area, or driving through Virginia on I-81 and need a good "halfway" point to stop at.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81? Share your experiences!