“Bring in the bulldozers” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
juneau,ak
“Bring in the bulldozers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I am amazed that the Ramada Corporation as well as the City of Roanoke allow this location to exist. The motel is in horrible condition. When we arrived we were advised not to park in the front lot because a storm was coming and the area floods. The property was filthly. The pool looked like a sewage pond. Need ice? Best bring your own because the two ice machines were only able to deliver about a cupful. The only good thing I can say about this property is about the evening front desk staff, they were very polite and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I am going to upload photos to accompany these bullet points. Overall the hotel room was disgusting and unsafe. I was horrified and will never stay with Ramada again.

* The toilet was dirty and had spots all over both the tank and the lid. The spots were able to be wiped up with a wet a tissue, so these were not permanent marks and could have been cleaned very easily.

* Multiple "clean" towels were full of dried on, crusty brown dirt spots.

* The hotel had an in-room jacuzzi. We paid $150 for the room because of that. It was disgusting and they had no idea how to install or maintain one. The jacuzzi had messy, cracking, peeling dried caulk surrounding it, that was not applied by a professional and looked very bad. Above the jacuzzi was a cheap cork drop ceiling, which is not appropriate to place over a hot, steaming jacuzzi. That is not proper procedure. The steam and accompanying moisture rising from any jacuzzi will rise and rot, melt and ruin any drop ceiling. The drop ceiling above the jacuzzi is cracked, stained, dirty, bubbling out and the ceiling was falling in.

* The floors were littered with crumbs and a dried white substance. It looked as if no one had vacuumed in the corners or up to the walls in a long time.

* The mirror on the dresser had a large crack in it.

* The ceilings were stained and dirty.

* The florescent light fixture above the bathroom sink had dirt and stains on it.

Not only was the room filthy and falling apart, when I went to check out the next morning, there was one employee (a petite blonde woman) at the front desk. I noticed I was charged a $1.00 fee for the safe on my receipt. I was not made aware or asked if I would accept this charge before this point. There was no key in the safe in the room so even if I had wanted to use the safe (which I did not) the safe was unusable. I politely asked the woman at the front desk why I was charged this fee and she said "You agreed to this fee when you checked in." I was not asked about this, I was not informed, I did not request the use of the safe at any point. I told her I did not request this and I would like the fee removed. She rudely said "This is a standard fee all hotels charge." I have stayed in 3 Best Western and 2 Marriott hotels in the past 2 years and I have never been charged this fee. I informed her of this and told her that if you are going to charge someone for something, you need to give them the option to opt out. I also told her the room was filthy and she did not offer me any kind of discount or resolution. She refunded my $1.00 fee and as soon as I turned my back to walk away, my husband could still see her face, she rolled her eyes and shook her head at me.

I had to contact Ramada corporate 5 times and follow-up with/speak to 3 different people before they sent me a partial $100 refund, which took 3 weeks to arrive.

I purposefully stayed at this Ramada as a stop on a long driving trip because I have always trusted the Ramada name. I chose Ramada because I have always felt Ramada had high quality standards. I am no longer a Ramada customer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
moneta, va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Check Inn staff was friendly and helpfull. Arrived in the morning and the clerk was able to get me ground floor room where i wanted it. Got to the room and the bed wasnt made. Staff had it taken care of while i ran some errands.
Pool slightly larger than average. Pool area very plain with a handfull of plastic lounge chairs and no tables. Large wall provided a lot of privacy. Pool depth is 3ft-8ft.
Free breakfast was average. Scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, and waffles were the highlights. You will probably have to rehaet it a little in the microwave provided.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Peachtree City, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel does not meet the Wyndham chain standards. Hotel needs a new owner and manager. Looks like a runned down facility. The check in area looked great, but the way to the room is full of trip hazards and apperance puts fears on the traveler of what is around the corner and the room. The cement on corridors was repaired, but appears a 3 year old did the repairs. The corridors were dirty... Was thinking I was in a NY hotel where criminal stay not a Wyndham facility. Got to the room, it was better. But made me think what bug I would be picking up. Recently retired and was looking at hotel chains that offered economical and clean lodging to use on future travels. This is not the one. Ramada was good in years past. Below motel 6 and super 8. In this trip stayed at Super 8 to check the chain facilities and was surpriced at the good clean conditions. If you can stay elsewhere, please do..This Ramada facility is very poor. if you are desperate I think considr in you car would be better and move to the next location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Ssunny S, Manager at Ramada Roanoke, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give your opinion. July 27th-28th was such a busy time for the Hotel and I want to apologize in advance for your first impression. Please try us again as we are in the process of renovations which include exterior of property and flat screen TVs
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Staff did a very good job trying to help but they do not have much to work with here. Old, dilapidated property. I'm surprised it is still a Ramada. Average breakfast. AC not working in our room. Switched to another room but door lock broke on our original room and we could not retrieve any of our stuff until after Midnight. Run away from this hotel. Do not stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Blacksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I was given room 305. The carpet was soaked, and the room stunk of urine. I asked to be moved. The manager was helpful. She came with me. Room 112 also had a soaked carpet but no smell. Room 313 had a dry carpet so I took that. The TV worked fine. The hot water system was fine. The tub responded to my feet by warping a little. The carpet had some holes, as did the curtains. There was no microwave. The refrigerator was good. The air-conditioning unit worked well, and that made a big difference to the comfort level. The breakfast buffet was quite good. The rate was $57 a night so I could not have expected more. The location is directly opposite the tennis courts at the Rivers Edge Complex, which is where the 5k race started, so I was exactly where I wanted to be. One of the cleaning staff did not speak English.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is one of hte worst hotels I have ever stayed in! It was filthy and disgusting. We had our two teen daughters with us and wouldn't give us a double bed room so we rented another room. It was on the other side of the hotel and one story up. The room they put us in smelled like cigarette smoke even after they told us they would give us a non-smoking room. We finally got them to change our room and it was a little bit better smelling. It was moldy from the a/c leaking and it still smelled like cigarette smoke. It was completely filthy and only one outlet worked in the room. The staff wouldn't help us at all and were very rude when we would ask a question. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ssunny S, Manager at Ramada Roanoke, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
I am sorry your stay was less than satisfactory. We were sold out for the Commonwealth Games or else we would have moved your room to be close to your daughters. I am stumped as to why the nonsmoking room smelled of smoke. Might be someone smoking in a nonsmoking rooms which happens sometimes.
Please try us again in the future

Been to Ramada Roanoke? Share your experiences!