“Clean Rooms & Nice Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book in Advance; Save 15%
Ranked #26 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Cleveland, Ohio
“Clean Rooms & Nice Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Clean Rooms and Peaceful Stay. Breakfast was Nice and Staff were helpful. Good nearby Restaurants for dining.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bideford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

This hotel was selected by our travel agent as a convenient overnight stopping point en route from Washington to Nashville. The staff at the front desk were happy and helpful at check-in and check-out and while the breakfast room was clean and bright the room we had was awful. It was dirty, discoloured, smelt of stale dog and was in such a poor state we felt sure we would catch something from the bed or the carpet. Our room was next door to the ice machine and vending area and we were kept awake through the night by the noise not only from the machines themselves but also from other guests scooping up ice. The room had a working refrigerator which made a constant very loud noise and could not be unplugged due to it being fitted with some kind of security plug (presumably to stop it being stolen or, in my case, being thrown out of the room). We don't know if our experience is indicative of the rest of the hotel but don't risk it, choose somewhere else. Surprisingly, the bed was comfortable (and no bugs/bites noticed in the morning) but we really wish we'd been able to get some sleep.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

I chose the Ramada while visiting a friend in Roanoke based on location and price. The location was central and convenient to downtown, restaurants, shopping and the like. The price seemed reasonable at less than $60 per night, but after my stay, my idea of reasonable changed...

The queen bed room was rather dated and shabby. The bed was not terrible but by no means comfortable. There was a micro-fridge in the room, which was an unexpected plus. The worst part of this room was the heat did not work -- it blew cold air. Unfortunately, the noise from the parking lot and guests outside was too much to get a good nights sleep... Normally I would have turned the heat on low to drown out the noise, but having cold air blow on me on a 30 degree night would not have worked. By the time I realized the heat was in-op, it was 3 in the morning so I didn't bother to call to have it repaired or switch rooms. Back to the noise from outside -- the door to the room must have been paper thin because I could hear everything from conversations to cars parking to what sounded like a guy throwing up outside. Noise from the room above was also quite noticeable and annoying.

And not to complain excessively but the service from the staff left much to be desired as well. I called to get a half hour check-out time extension which was approved by the front desk agent. This extension was clearly not communicated to the housekeeping personnel because at 11:55AM (check out time is supposed to be 12PM), I was drying off after taking a shower and the housekeeper was banging on the door and then tried to open the door -- thankfully the chain lock prevented the door from opening all the way.

Finally, when I went to the front desk to get a receipt and turn in my keys, the one agent working was on a lengthy phone call trying to resolve a reservation issue and there was a line of 3 parties in front of me waiting. So to get a receipt, it took an additional 20 minutes of waiting time. This was just an annoying "icing on the cake" for what turned in to a mediocre, restless evening.

Unless you are dead set on the location of this Ramada, I recommend choosing an alternate hotel in Roanoke. It would probably be worthwhile to spend an extra $10 or $20 per night and stay at one of the more updated properties that is rated higher on here.

Room Tip: Room 119 was extremely loud. Avoid ground level.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Washington State
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

My wife and I have stayed in hotels/motels in all fifty states and more than 150 countries and never left a property in the middle of the night until last night. We both became quite ill in less than 2 hours. We relocated to the Days Inn in Roanoke, Virginia and were quite pleased. Please avoid this property to protect your health and well being. It was the filthiest room thaI we have ever stayed in and the odor was indescribably putrid.
I have written numerous reviews for Travel Advisory and this is only the second negative review in more than 50 postingsduring the last several years. Please be advised to avoid this property at all costs.. Dr Ron Snipe, Port Angeles, Washington

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I booked 3 rooms for this stay, one for my husband, daughter and I, one for my in-laws and one for my daughter's volleyball coach (we were there for a volleyball tournament). Upon checking in, staff was very nice and helpful. One of our keys did not work (2x) and on the third time, the manager personally accompanied me to the room to show me the trick. This is an older hotel and does have its quirks. The rooms are old and dated, 2 smelled of smoke. Luckily I had plug-ins to offset this odor. This first night of our stay was very noisy, my in-laws were kept up half the night by partyers, I was also kept up by low level goings on near our room. The second night was fine. I would only stay in this hotel if I ONLY needed a place to sleep and shower. If I was going to have to stay in the room during the day, I would not stay here as the rooms do not look very attractive in natural daylight. In the dark, they look much better. The breakfast was just alright. With better upkeep and maintainence, this may have been a nice motel. However, building maintainence leaves much to be desired.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Blowing Rock NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

We booked two rooms, a handicapped and a regular, well over a month in advance for a trip to see a concert. Upon arriving at the Ramada, we learned that one of the agents, a Mr. Akash, had inexplicably cancelled one of our rooms without informing us. This is INEXCUSABLE. The agent on duty was polite and apologetic, but there was nothing he could do as the hotel was by then booked up. He did get on the phone with a sister hotel, the Howard Johnson, who held two rooms for us. This forced us to drive nearly 10 miles, one way, away from where we needed to be and put us near the noisy airport.

I am a 6 year veteran of the hospitality industry in a tourist-oriented town. If I ever dreamed of pulling a stunt like this, cancelling someone's confirmed reservation without any notice or explanation, I would be fired and would likely need to make restitution to the guest as well. We will NOT be recommending this hotel to anyone- and if you happen to book there, CALL AHEAD TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE YOUR RESERVATION! Don't assume anything!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Staunton, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I was shocked to see a smoker to use non-smoking room. I reported to front desk but the person at the front desk did not care or did not go to the room where the smoker was smoking. I was not happy because I am allergic to smoking. I WOULD not reserve this hotel again because I am sure that smokers are sneaky to smoking in the non-smoking room since the person at the front desk would not bother or fine the fee.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ramada Roanoke? Share your experiences!