“FANTASTIC CUSTOMER CARE” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Roanoke

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Place Roanoke to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Roanoke
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5040 Valley View Blvd N, Roanoke, VA 24012 (Formerly AmeriSuites)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #13 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Williamsburg, Virginia
“FANTASTIC CUSTOMER CARE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

I stay at the Hyatt Place when traveling to Roanoke because of the convenience to the airport and the mall and restaurants close by. It is a nice hotel, I feel safe, and the hotel staff are always helpful and welcoming. But this time my experience was exceptional. Long story short, I arrived at the Roanoke airport a few hours before my flight and discovered that I had left two silver bracelets in the room. I called the Hyatt and spoke with Thomas who put me on hold, called housekeeping, and located the bracelets. He offered to mail them to me, but I was uncomfortable because the bracelets were gifts to me from my husband, and although not overly expensive, had great sentimental value. I explained this to Thomas and he asked me how long before my flight and my location at the airport. After a brief hold, he came back on the line and said the shuttle driver would deliver my bracelets to me in under 10 minutes. We agreed on a place to meet outside of ticketing and the driver arrived 6 minutes later with my bracelets in an envelope! I cannot tell you how grateful I am to Thomas for not only giving me peace of mind ,but mostly for his "can do/why not?" attitude towards customer service. He clearly felt empowered to make a customer service decision on the spot. That is a sign of well trained and trusted staff member- so kudos to the manager as well. This is the only hotel I wlll stay at for all future business trips to Roanoke!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Northern Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

This is an old Ameri-Suites that has been re-branded to a Hyatt. (Evident from the elevator inspection notices issued to Ameri-Suites in 2002) Like some of the other reviewers I got a stinky room upon arrival. Very musty. Staff was super nice and moved me to another floor. Much better smelling room but property is just plain dreary. An attempt to re-do the rooms to a more upscale brand that in my opinion failed. Very nice lobby but that's where the "nice" stops. Halls were littered with wrappers and scraps of paper trash, elevator had debris in it and was plain dirty. The pleather ottoman in the room had sticky drippings on it. Business center computers super slow! The best thing going for this property is the staff.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Annapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

Overall, the size of the room you get and the ammenities at this hotel are all really nice. Frotn desk staff were sooo friendly. Close to a mall, in a good part of town, and right near a Starbucks (a requirement of hotels for me when I am on business trips). Bed was very comfy, and I loved the separate bar area and huge sofa and tv. Having said that, my nonsmoking room really stunk of ciggy smoke. I would have said something if I had spent more time in it than just sleeping and getting ready the following morning. I loved the self-check in feature where you get to choose your level or room.....maybe the upper floor used to be a smoking floor and that is why it smelled? I didn't think it was too bad until a co-worker asked me if I had been smoking.....and I'm not a smoker.

Overall, really nice place, but not sure if I would take the chance that a lot of the rooms are stinky and get stuck with one again. If you are a smoker, I say go for it. If not, or if you have an allergy, I say proceed with caution.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Nice place for a short stay. Bed was good, but the sofabed wasn't comfortable. Bathroom was very small. Room was quiet and clean. Breakfast was okay....nothing very special.. Eggs were available but at extra cost.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

just got back from staying at this very nice hotel. The room was HUGE with a big couch, small frig and bar area. Big T.V. and the beds were the most comfortable I've slept on in a hotel!!! The convenience to the mall was nice. We walked the mall for excercise one morning. The continental breakfast was good---not great, but the coffee was great and the mugs were a decent size, not those little styrofoam cups that some hotels give you, where you need at least three to make a regular cup of coffee. The staff was very friendly and helpful when we had a question about getting around town. We were a 5 minute drive from downtown where the nightlife and excellent resturants were, and for a relatively small town the amount of nice places to eat and shoppping was impressive. Great couple of days!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
DC area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Stayed there for the Virginia bar exam in July. It's right next to the Valley View Mall and a multitude of restaurants. Service was pleasant and helpful. Breakfast buffet was high quality and bar menu good, too. Great rooms. The condition of the property was not quite as good as another Hyatt Place I've stayed at, but overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

Location is great as I like being near the mall, the interstate, and tons of restuarants. I agree with a previous reviewer that it is sort of a do it yourself hotel, but that's fine with me. The continental breakfast was fresh, lots of variety. Our only problem was the room smelled. I mean a real moldy smell. At first I thought the room was just stuffy from being just up in August heat without the AC on. It didn't take long to realize that terrible smell was coming from somewhere around the bed area. We were so exhausted by that point we decided to put up with it rather than ask to change rooms. So if you stay there, and you don't like the smell the minute you walk in the room speak up right then because it's not going to get better!

• Stayed August 2009

Been to Hyatt Place Roanoke? Share your experiences!