“Convenient and well priced” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Roanoke

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Place Roanoke to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Roanoke
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5040 Valley View Blvd N, Roanoke, VA 24012 (Formerly AmeriSuites)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #13 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
“Convenient and well priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We ended up staying here on a last minute decision, thought it was going to be over-priced, and we were wrong. Food service was excellent. Our phone wasn't working but everything else was clean, well appointed, and a great airport locale.

• Stayed July 2013
Todd R, General Manager at Hyatt Place Roanoke, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you so much for making a last minute decision to stay with us. We are so happy that you were able to take advantage of some of the amenities that we offer such as the 24 hour food services. In addition, I wanted to thank you for bringing it to our attention that the phone was not working properly. We have fixed that issue and talked with the staff to prevent it from having you notice prior to us fixing it. It is my hope that on your next trip you give yourself a little more time to enjoy some of the other amenities such as the indoor heated pool and the 24 hour fitness center.

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I typically chose a Hyatt Place when I am travelling because of the consistency -> breakfast, fitness center and wifi. The quality is usually fine for business travel. This time ... was a very poor trip. I checked into my first room and the heating system was screeching - since I checked in for a three night stay, this would not be acceptable. I had partially unpacked - went down to the lobby, explained the situation and was given a choice to call maintenance or repack and move. I chose the latter. My second room was much quieter.

Fitness Center - three pieces of equipment - no worries, since I can use one at a time. The bike which I use every day, was broken. I informed the front desk of this. A maintenance worker came quickly, turned it over, did not change anything and left. The bike was not fixed nor was a sign put on it. I consider the request to fix the bike received lip service. No bike.

The final blow was when I checked out this morning. A $75.00 pet service fee. Do you see a dog? I was on business travel - onsite at a customer location for 12 hours a day and I did not travel 2000 miles with my dog. When I questioned this charge "Housekeeping heard a dog bark" - not possible from room. The charge was removed, with a bit of reluctance. I should also mention that the housekeeping services were among the worst I have ever seen. The only tasks performed were to bring in fresh towels and refold the bed spread.

This experience really causes me to think twice before staying at another Hyatt Place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
I cannot apologize enough about the stay that you had and how unacceptable it is not only for the brand but for our hotel in Roanoke. I have coached our housekeeping staff for a better way to handle these issues that you have mentioned not only the pet fee but the overall cleanliness of your room. In addition we have fixed the bike in our fitness room. Unfortunately we had to purchase parts from our vendor and it took almost two weeks to get in. This is no excuse for not notifying you about it at the time our not posting a sign like you mentioned. The gym wipes are now in stock and should have been replenished straight away. Again, I truly apologize for all of the service failures that you experienced. It is my hope that not only will you give our hotel another chance but that you do not lose faith in our Hyatt brand.
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Having stayed here a couple of times as a mid-point for a long road trip, this Hyatt Place has been a great option for my family every time. The rooms are large and suite-like, clean and well-appointed (although the bathroom is a bit snug, but perfectly adequate for our needs). There is an included breakfast, which is nice to save a few dollars before heading out (but don't expect a massive gourmet buffet -- some grains, sausage/egg, yogurt/cereal, and fruit options). Even free wi-fi, which all hotels *should* have, but many still charge for that.

The hotel is located in a large shopping mall complex, which provides for easy access to any food or retail needs (although as would be expected for a mall, most dining options are of the chain restaurant variety). It is a few minutes off I-81, so not too inconvenient a detour if that is the highway corridor you are passing through on. Onsite parking is relatively convenient (not too long a walk from any spot).

The staff have always been very helpful and friendly, even for Priceliners like we usually end up being.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for such a great review. We are so happy to hear that you keep coming back and staying with us during your travel. We have such a great team on staff that we do not even look at how people book even with Priceline with the exception of billing purposes. We enjoy serving all our guests and we truly do try to meet your every need. I also wanted to mention that we will be undergoing some renovations to help with the space in the bathrooms as you mentioned. We can't wait to see you again when your travel brings you through Roanoke.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The hotel was an excellent value and the location can't be beat. My wife and I were spending our anniversary in Roanoke. We also planned to do last minute Christmas shopping. The Mall is literarily down the street. By staying in this hotel we managed to avoid the major headache of competing against the traffic when we were doing our Christmas shopping.

The hotel staff were very helpful and cheerful. The breakfast at the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We are so happy that we could assist you in having a great anniversary and to get some last minute shopping done. It is our hope that you make this a yearly event and we can continue to provide excellent service during such a special time and to help take away the stress of traffic during your shopping. Please remember if you decide to come back that we provide shuttle service not only to the mall but in a 5 mile radius which includes downtown.
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Stopped here on our way south. My criteria on Priceline was pool and free breakfast. This hotel came through. Perfect for the kids. Ken at the front desk was more than helpful. Would definitely stay here again. Also, coffee was actually pretty good

Stayed December 2013
Thank you for stopping in as you passed through. We are delighted to see that our associates stood out to you (Especially Ken). Our team prides itself in providing top notch service to all of our guest even if it is just to get a quick rest and swim in when traveling. We hope that when you travel through Roanoke again you stop in to enjoy our amenities and to say Hi.
Homosassa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was our second Hyatt Place. Overall, it is a good value with a nice setup. Suite-like rooms with large TV, free internet, enough pillows. Despite having quite a few young kids in nearby rooms, it was very quiet. One of the better "free" breakfasts, but if you hit the lobby area at rush hour, you may be hard pressed to find a place to sit.

Near the airport and next to a mall with several restaurants. One downside -- pretty much all of the nearby restaurants are chains. You may need to hop in the car and take a five minute drive to get to downtown Roanoke.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such positive feedback and for choosing us for your visit to Roanoke. As you mentioned one of the best things about our hotel is the location to so much such as the mall and many chain eateries. Like you said chain restaurants are not always ideal but any time if you come back to Roanoke we would love to give you recommendations of nearby non-chain restaurants.
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

A friendly check-in was the first part of a wonderful stay. Our king room was large and well-appointed. The only thing odd we noticed was the lack of outlets on either side of the head of the bed.

The hotel is conveniently located to shopping, both the mall and downtown, and is adjacent to the airport - but we never noticed that we were that close, i.e. plane noise wasn't an issue.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed so much about your stay. We have taken note of your concern with the outlets bed side. We have conducted many meetings on how to rectify this and we are in the process of getting it taken care of so your stay can even more enjoyable without the inconvenience of searching for an outlet.

Been to Hyatt Place Roanoke? Share your experiences!