“New place with plenty of options around” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Roanoke

You added Hyatt Place Roanoke to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Roanoke
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5040 Valley View Blvd N, Roanoke, VA 24012 (Formerly AmeriSuites)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Roanoke
Homosassa, Florida
“New place with plenty of options around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was our second Hyatt Place. Overall, it is a good value with a nice setup. Suite-like rooms with large TV, free internet, enough pillows. Despite having quite a few young kids in nearby rooms, it was very quiet. One of the better "free" breakfasts, but if you hit the lobby area at rush hour, you may be hard pressed to find a place to sit.

Near the airport and next to a mall with several restaurants. One downside -- pretty much all of the nearby restaurants are chains. You may need to hop in the car and take a five minute drive to get to downtown Roanoke.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Todd R, General Manager at Hyatt Place Roanoke, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for such positive feedback and for choosing us for your visit to Roanoke. As you mentioned one of the best things about our hotel is the location to so much such as the mall and many chain eateries. Like you said chain restaurants are not always ideal but any time if you come back to Roanoke we would love to give you recommendations of nearby non-chain restaurants.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

A friendly check-in was the first part of a wonderful stay. Our king room was large and well-appointed. The only thing odd we noticed was the lack of outlets on either side of the head of the bed.

The hotel is conveniently located to shopping, both the mall and downtown, and is adjacent to the airport - but we never noticed that we were that close, i.e. plane noise wasn't an issue.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed so much about your stay. We have taken note of your concern with the outlets bed side. We have conducted many meetings on how to rectify this and we are in the process of getting it taken care of so your stay can even more enjoyable without the inconvenience of searching for an outlet.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a large group for a family wedding. It was good to have everyone on the same floor. The room lay out made it difficult to move around once the pull out bed was out for our children and the toilet/shower "room" was very difficult to get in and out of because the door opened into the small "room". The room was quite clean when we arrived, though it was not stocked with four towels for four people (which was remedied). The indoor pool was very large and well maintained, but there were never any towels and none were brought despite repeated requests. The breakfast was typical and neither impressive nor terrible. The one drawback for breakfast was the lack of adequate seating while we were there. It was hard to find a seat! While I doubt we would ever return to Roanoke, I would stay here again given the other nearby choices (which looked terribly run down).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Congratulations on the family wedding. We are so happy that your group took the time and booked with us. We do understand the concerns that you mentioned with the lay out of the room and we will be undergoing a major renovation to rectify that especially in the bathrooms. In addition I would like to apologize for the lack of attendance to the pool and keeping it stocked. A comment such as this helps us to re-evaluate our focus to give even better service. As you said you may not come back to Roanoke but if you do we hope you choose our hotel without hesitation.
Chelsea, Vermont, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Every business has a bad day or two and can’t be condemned for it but this one merits some thought. The airport shuttle arrived soon after I called and checkin was smooth. The room looked pretty good but I soon noted that the toilet was sluggish but at least it worked. I went to sleep while the toilet gurgled every few minutes the entire night. Next morning I found that the towels from the previous guest were still in the bathroom. I also was scratching the back of my neck frequently and later discovered bug bites there. I was off at a business meeting all day and called and requested a room change and was told they were sold out and nothing could be done. After saying that was unacceptable, I spoke to a manager who said I would have a new room, then went ahead and moved all my belongings to the new room on another floor in my absence. That was odd but I no longer think anything is private. The HVAC system was quite loud so, though the outside temp was in the 20’s, had to turn it off. Maybe that is why there was an extra blanket on the table. The next night, a medium sized bug strolled across the bathroom sink as I brushed my teeth.
The free breakfast is better than going hungry but not as extensive as other hotels in this class. Apples were dried out and the one I took was beginning to rot. Fitness room is limited and had no sanitizer or gym wipes in the three days I was there (I bring my own just in case).
I had an early flight out and when I asked about the shuttle they said the first one wasn't until 7:00 am. Very unusual for an airport hotel (I spend 60-90 nights a year in hotels). I pushed a little and they said I could probably get on the 530 am "flight crew" shuttle but should get there 20 minutes earlier (there appeared to be no reason for that). In the hotel’s defense, my colleagues had no problems.

Room Tip: Not about the room but be aware that the airport shuttle does not start till 7:00 am but if you push...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
I cannot apologize enough for all of the frustration that we caused you during your stay. I personally contacted our pest control company to look into the concerns in both rooms and walked with them to make sure we did not miss anything. Although nothing was found at that time we did do some prevented treatments to ensure that anything we didn't see was rectified. The HVAC systems are in the process of being replaced although this is no excuse for what you encountered I wanted to update you on the status of that. We also took your concern about the gurgling toilet very serious. We hired some professional plumbers to look at the issue and it was corrected inside the piping below the building. We also took corrective measures with both the housekeeper and inspector for the lack of attention in the bathroom and I can assure you it will not happen again. It is our hope that you will give us another chance to prove to you that our hotel and our brand is much more than what you experienced.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Not a bad hotel...the staff was nice and accommodating. The breakfast was so so. The location was great, it was close to the mall, lots of restaurants and downtown. The layout of the room was a little awkward, but all in all not bad.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
I would like to thank you for your response. It is our hope to serve you again when your travel brings you to Roanoke. We are constantly updating our breakfast to help improve all of our guest stays. A comment such as yours helps us to continue to evaluate what we are doing to turn your not so bad stay into a wonderful stay.
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We checked in with our 5 yr old for a one night stay before a football game in Blacksburg. Check in was easy. Desk staff very helpful and friendly. After dropping our stuff in the room, we ventured back downstairs for a little dinner. For a Friday night with a full booking, they only had 2 downstairs staff available. One of the staff drove the shuttle to the airport and the other couldn't leave the front desk. So, we were able to get our drinks but no food until he returned. But they did keep checking on us and gave us each a free drink for our troubles. Not ideal, but the kindness and attentiveness of the staff was appreciated. The bathroom in our room could use an update. And yes the AC was a little loud (as someone else mentioned) but not enough to avoid it in the future. The pillows were HORRIBLE! UGH! will take my own next time! Breakfast was good. Coffee delicious. Starbucks in the lobby is a definite bonus, but the regular free coffee was excellent too. We will stay again. I hope they upgrade the rooms soon, but they are still comfy, roomy and clean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the response provided. I want to apologize personally for the lack of staff that evening and not being able to provide you a much quicker service. We have looked into this issue and it will be fixed for our busy times in the future. Our HVAC systems are being replaced and although a process it is no excuse and we have addressed the issues in your room that you stayed in already. We will be doing a full renovation of our hotel in the near future this will include the mentioned concerns in the bathrooms with all new tile, tubs and in some rooms walk-in showers. We looked forward to you staying with us again if you decide to go to another football game here in Virginia.
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We planned to stay for 2 nights, but a sleepless night sent us home early. I did not sleep the first night, at all, which was torture. We left the next day. The loud HVAC kept me up the whole time. Had I been alone,
I would have changed rooms, but we children with us. The building was old and in need of updates. The bathroom was average in the cleanliness department. Disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I would like to apologize for your trip being cut short due to some issues with your HVAC. We are in the process of getting all of our HVAC updated at this time. In addition I have taken note of your concern with the pool not being opened at the right time and fully stocked with towels. I have discussed this with our staff and it has been address to ensure it does not happen again in the future. We are also going to be doing some major renovations in the near future to address the concerns you mentioned about looking old. We hope to have basically a brand new hotel by this time next year. It is our hope that you will give us another chance to give you the true Hyatt experience that is not only expected but deserved.