“One bug too many” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Roanoke

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Place Roanoke to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Roanoke
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5040 Valley View Blvd N, Roanoke, VA 24012 (Formerly AmeriSuites)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #13 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Chelsea, Vermont, United States
“One bug too many”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Every business has a bad day or two and can’t be condemned for it but this one merits some thought. The airport shuttle arrived soon after I called and checkin was smooth. The room looked pretty good but I soon noted that the toilet was sluggish but at least it worked. I went to sleep while the toilet gurgled every few minutes the entire night. Next morning I found that the towels from the previous guest were still in the bathroom. I also was scratching the back of my neck frequently and later discovered bug bites there. I was off at a business meeting all day and called and requested a room change and was told they were sold out and nothing could be done. After saying that was unacceptable, I spoke to a manager who said I would have a new room, then went ahead and moved all my belongings to the new room on another floor in my absence. That was odd but I no longer think anything is private. The HVAC system was quite loud so, though the outside temp was in the 20’s, had to turn it off. Maybe that is why there was an extra blanket on the table. The next night, a medium sized bug strolled across the bathroom sink as I brushed my teeth.
The free breakfast is better than going hungry but not as extensive as other hotels in this class. Apples were dried out and the one I took was beginning to rot. Fitness room is limited and had no sanitizer or gym wipes in the three days I was there (I bring my own just in case).
I had an early flight out and when I asked about the shuttle they said the first one wasn't until 7:00 am. Very unusual for an airport hotel (I spend 60-90 nights a year in hotels). I pushed a little and they said I could probably get on the 530 am "flight crew" shuttle but should get there 20 minutes earlier (there appeared to be no reason for that). In the hotel’s defense, my colleagues had no problems.

Room Tip: Not about the room but be aware that the airport shuttle does not start till 7:00 am but if you push...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Todd R, General Manager at Hyatt Place Roanoke, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
I cannot apologize enough for all of the frustration that we caused you during your stay. I personally contacted our pest control company to look into the concerns in both rooms and walked with them to make sure we did not miss anything. Although nothing was found at that time we did do some prevented treatments to ensure that anything we didn't see was rectified. The HVAC systems are in the process of being replaced although this is no excuse for what you encountered I wanted to update you on the status of that. We also took your concern about the gurgling toilet very serious. We hired some professional plumbers to look at the issue and it was corrected inside the piping below the building. We also took corrective measures with both the housekeeper and inspector for the lack of attention in the bathroom and I can assure you it will not happen again. It is our hope that you will give us another chance to prove to you that our hotel and our brand is much more than what you experienced.

185 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Not a bad hotel...the staff was nice and accommodating. The breakfast was so so. The location was great, it was close to the mall, lots of restaurants and downtown. The layout of the room was a little awkward, but all in all not bad.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
I would like to thank you for your response. It is our hope to serve you again when your travel brings you to Roanoke. We are constantly updating our breakfast to help improve all of our guest stays. A comment such as yours helps us to continue to evaluate what we are doing to turn your not so bad stay into a wonderful stay.
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We checked in with our 5 yr old for a one night stay before a football game in Blacksburg. Check in was easy. Desk staff very helpful and friendly. After dropping our stuff in the room, we ventured back downstairs for a little dinner. For a Friday night with a full booking, they only had 2 downstairs staff available. One of the staff drove the shuttle to the airport and the other couldn't leave the front desk. So, we were able to get our drinks but no food until he returned. But they did keep checking on us and gave us each a free drink for our troubles. Not ideal, but the kindness and attentiveness of the staff was appreciated. The bathroom in our room could use an update. And yes the AC was a little loud (as someone else mentioned) but not enough to avoid it in the future. The pillows were HORRIBLE! UGH! will take my own next time! Breakfast was good. Coffee delicious. Starbucks in the lobby is a definite bonus, but the regular free coffee was excellent too. We will stay again. I hope they upgrade the rooms soon, but they are still comfy, roomy and clean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the response provided. I want to apologize personally for the lack of staff that evening and not being able to provide you a much quicker service. We have looked into this issue and it will be fixed for our busy times in the future. Our HVAC systems are being replaced and although a process it is no excuse and we have addressed the issues in your room that you stayed in already. We will be doing a full renovation of our hotel in the near future this will include the mentioned concerns in the bathrooms with all new tile, tubs and in some rooms walk-in showers. We looked forward to you staying with us again if you decide to go to another football game here in Virginia.
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We planned to stay for 2 nights, but a sleepless night sent us home early. I did not sleep the first night, at all, which was torture. We left the next day. The loud HVAC kept me up the whole time. Had I been alone,
I would have changed rooms, but we children with us. The building was old and in need of updates. The bathroom was average in the cleanliness department. Disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I would like to apologize for your trip being cut short due to some issues with your HVAC. We are in the process of getting all of our HVAC updated at this time. In addition I have taken note of your concern with the pool not being opened at the right time and fully stocked with towels. I have discussed this with our staff and it has been address to ensure it does not happen again in the future. We are also going to be doing some major renovations in the near future to address the concerns you mentioned about looking old. We hope to have basically a brand new hotel by this time next year. It is our hope that you will give us another chance to give you the true Hyatt experience that is not only expected but deserved.
Altoona, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were in town for 3 nights on a family trip. We booked the hotel for it's proximity to main highways/airport and got a pretty good rate on the AARP website. It is close to shopping and restaurants if you want that. It is modern, clean, but the lobby is very small with a breakfast room/coffee and snack area/bar all attached to the check in desk. There is a large pool with excellent water temp but you have to walk through a cold breezeway to get there and even though it was supposed to be open at 6 AM two out of three mornings no lights were on and few towels were stocked at 6:15. The biggest surprise was that there is no drawer space in the room to unpack when staying for a few days/nights. No dresser, no bedside drawers, very tiny closet which was tucked around a corner and difficult to get into. The other unusual setup included a too large desk, bar area (refrigerator, no microwave), and small sofa(the only other chair to sit in was the desk chair). Just didn't make sense to us to have a large scale room with no storage nor seating for 4 people. The cold breakfast items were decent-what, no waffle maker? no eggs?-but tasteless breakfast sandwiches and pancakes which suffered a bit from trying to keep them warm for hours. All in all, I think there are more satisfying places to consider with many options in the immediate area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I want to apologize for your less than satisfactory stay with us. We understand that there are needs that we were unable to meet during your stay. We have updated some of our breakfast items to include eggs, sausage, waffles and many more items on a rotation with many of our breakfast items that we currently offer. Feedback such as this is appreciated to aide us in improving our hotel to try and meet all needs and requests for all of our guest. We hope that you give us another opportunity to show you what improvements have been made.
Sharpsburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were going to Roanoke for a wedding. Looking for a place to stay near the wedding venue, we came across several choices. Some were already booked up. Some didn't rate highly enough. We decided to choose Hyatt Place even though we had never stayed at one. But with the Hyatt name attached, we felt comfortable. Plus, it had breakfast included and WiFi -- two things we always look for when booking a hotel.

We checked in. The clerk was ultra friendly -- offered us a tour, told us about all the options and offerings. The room was really nice. It was large, well-appointed. There was a desk area, a sofa area, a huge flat screen TV, a king sized bed and bathroom. The bed was very comfortable.

We would definitely recommend it and would use it again if it were available.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We are so happy that we were able to accommodate you during such a special event such as wedding. We are also delighted that we could offer some of the key amenities that you look for such as free hot breakfast and free Wi-Fi. We hope to see you again when your travel brings you to Roanoke so you can experience another comfortable home away from home stay.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Arrived during a softball and soccer tournament but overall, it was very quiet. Room was spacious and nice, better than expected. Came here for a church related issue, but really close to airport. Again, not an issue for me but might be for others.

Very close to shopping and food, anything from fast casual to casual full service. I love that the hotel has a bar and Starbucks coffee. Very convenient. Would stay here again if I come this way, but Hyatt has definitely been added to my preferred chains.

• Stayed September 2013
Todd R, General Manager at Hyatt Place Roanoke, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you during your travels for church. We are happy that you were able to enjoy some of the added amenities such as the onsite Starbucks and bar. We hope that your travel does bring you back and soon!!!

Been to Hyatt Place Roanoke? Share your experiences!