“Great staff - Very poor TV experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Roanoke

You added Hyatt Place Roanoke to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Roanoke
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5040 Valley View Blvd N, Roanoke, VA 24012 (Formerly AmeriSuites)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Great staff - Very poor TV experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have stayed at many a Hyatt Place and in short the staff here was nice and accommodating however the physical plant needs attention. TV service is very poor and I communicated this to the staff and they visited the room to check the connection however the quality of the signal is the issue. The workout room was subpar in regards to the elliptical machine (built in TV channels not working, broken façade of the machine) as well an the HVAC was not working. They were busy with an event in town but these issues need attention ASAP before I stay or recommend again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Todd R, General Manager at Hyatt Place Roanoke, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for letting us know about the issues that you encountered during your stay. We have repaired the TV and HVAC systems in the workout room. In addition, we did contact our provider for the in room TV issues that you experienced a technician has already came out and made the adjustments need to improve our overall signal in our rooms. I apologize that these issues came across during your stay with us and it is our hope that when you travel back to Roanoke that you give us another opportunity to give you the correct Hyatt experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My sister and I really looked forward to the hospitality of our hotel on June 17 after surviving the inhospitable deluge of rain on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unfortunately, that was not to be. Our suite was booked under my name and I asked for the room. No issues... until the blonde clerk haughtily asked my sister for her "separate" reservation. That did it for me! Never again will I stay at any of the Hyatt family of hotels. Clearly, this monomaniacal shrew had chosen to stick her nose into our business and had concluded that we should not be sharing a room. First, and the only really note: it was none of her business. Second, we had two beds. Third, we're sisters. The Manager was present as she spoke to us and failed to take her to task for her bigotry. If it wasn't for the rain - and the fact that I'd already tried and failed to book with more preferred hotels - I'd have left then and there.
The suite was fine. The bathroom did have some pink bacteria near the tub which we avoided and the living-room furniture was scant. There's no freezer in the fridge and the ice machine was on another floor. I'm simply glad we hadn't booked for more than one night and could cancel our reservations for Fairlawn, NJ and Buffalo, NY. I have to recommend to anyone who believes in the equality of all that this chain - as reflected by the clerk and her manager - is not for you. There's always another choice in cities with a Hyatt - do yourself and mankind a favor and make that other choice!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, make sure you choose a room on a floor with an ice machine.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed two nights and found the staff very helpful. Breakfast was very good and other accommodations were good. There is a Chinese restaurant next door and a huge Mall down the street. It is convenient to downtown. Our only complaint is that the TV service was horrible. Huge TV just not much to watch.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator. They have rooms right in front of the elevator that could get disturbed...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Todd R, General Manager at Hyatt Place Roanoke, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your two day trip with us in Roanoke. We also understand the TV selection needs to improve. We are in the process of working with our provider to either change some of the selection that we currently have or add more channels. We hope to see you again in the near future on your next trip to Roanoke.
kiremiko99
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Pro: First off, this hotel is in a very convenient location with plenty of stores/restaurants in the immediate area. The pool is nice and seems to be well maintained.

Cons: The hotel is old and not really clean. The air conditioner unit seems very old, and you need to wear earplugs at night to drown out the sound. The air coming out of the vents has a musty odor. Looking at the unit the vents are covered in dust. The whole system needs to be updated to make this hotel acceptable. As others have stated, the hotel has an "old" feel to it in contrast to other Hyatt hotels that I have stayed at.

This may be common hotel practice but I don't understand why they would use sheets that are not fitted. No one wants to end up sleeping on the bare mattress that thousands of other people have slept on when inevitably the sheets get shifted while you are sleeping or just watching tv on the bed. Some of the furniture is also badly in need of an update - the sofa had areas of suspicious stains.

The breakfast is decent, but it seemed like they were being lazy. No bananas 2 of the days there and no english muffins, which is usually a staple of hotel breakfasts. One suggestion is to figure out a better system of keeping the milk cold. It is left in large pitchers with some sort of ice underneath it, which probably keeps the bottom a little cold, but pouring it in to the bowl, I tasted warm milk.

I wanted to like this hotel as it is the only Hyatt in the area and I try to stay at Hyatt's whenever possible. There were just too many issues.

Room Tip: Probably a good idea to get a room facing the front of the hotel; back has a highway view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
We are happy that you enjoyed the location and the amenities that we offered during your trip. I assure you that I will be talking with my staff to ensure the breakfast is better stocked and that our items stay refreshed. I would also like to thank you for the feedback regarding the milk and we will look into it to make sure it is staying at the right temperature. We have addressed the stains that you mentioned and we will be getting a major renovation done at the hotel. This will include replacing A/C units all new bathroom set-ups and new carpet. We hope that you give us another opportunity to fix these issues and you can see the changes on your next trip to Roanoke.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here one night with my husband and 6 year old. It is a very clean hotel with great rooms and great staff. The room we stayed in was very comfortable. The room had a bed and couch, both were very nice. The breakfast was delicious, best hotel breakfast I have ever come across. The hot water was more just warm than hot and there was only one cartoon channel for my little one. But, all in all the good FAR outweighs the very few not so good. This is certainly a hotel to stay at again.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for such positive feedback. We can't wait for your next visit to Roanoke and it is always a pleasure to serve you and your family. If there is anything we can do to assist in improving any of your travel needs please do not hesitate to contact me.
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Apparently Hyatt Place has standardized on a new Lodge Net service. Basically this is a new way to charge parents who travel with kids more money. Gone are the days to watch your own DVD's in the room and HP doesn't include free Disney channels like competitors Courtyard Marriott. Instead the only kids channel we got "free" was the Toon Channel which is terrible. The Disney shows are 20 to 30 minutes and are $3.99 each. Bravo to the Hyatt executive who made this call. I see a future with you at JCP. Meanwhile this is my last time staying at a Hyatt (at least for 10 more years when my kids are grown and gone).

• Stayed June 2012
Todd R, General Manager at Hyatt Place Roanoke, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
First I would like to apologize for your frustration with the kids selection of TV channels. This is something that we are actively working on to improve all of our networking to ensure the most pleasent stay for all travelers. In addition, I would like to thank you for the positive feedback regarding our cleanliness and condition of our hotel. We hope to have your issues fixed with the tv guide and that you will visit us again with your future travel to Roanoke.

Recpectfully,

Todd R
Chesterfield, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I guess for the price and the name I expected more. I have never stayed at a Hyatt before it was my first time. The food was good for breakfast. The lay-out of the main lobby is great.
One of the elevators broke down and sense it was a holiday week end one elevator was very busy. My husband was taking a shower and I noticed the water was running all over the floor. The shower head is very powerful but the curtain does not stop the water from running over the side of the tub. I used three towels to soak it up. The pool even though it was inside the water was cold so we did not bother to go in. Parking at this location was very limited in the front of the building but there was extra at the end of the building but no information was outside to let you know there was additional parking. The bed was great the lay out of the room was nice.
Our room was on the 3erd floor right next to the elevator. It was noisy. Apparently you can hear the elevator going up and down when it is quiet. The view out our window would have been wonderful if the tree was not so high it covered the Mountain View. I like it when people take close attention to all details.
The staff was very polite and very personable.

Room Tip: I think that you could find as great a deal for less the price. I would definatly get a room away...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I would like to apologize for your stay being so unsatisfying. We do appreciate all the feedback with the issues you had with the shower and the tree blocking your view of the mountains. We have fixed our elevator and apologize for the inconvenience when it was down. In addition I would like to thank you for the positive feedback regarding our staff, breakfast, layout of the lobby and how comfortable our beds are. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to rectify the issues that you encountered.

Been to Hyatt Place Roanoke? Share your experiences!