“Stayed here due to the proximity to the BR Parkway” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
“Stayed here due to the proximity to the BR Parkway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed here for the location which was as promised - about 2ish miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was adequate for one night but we wouldn't have stayed for two nights. Our room was one of the updated rooms including an HDTV. The bed was comfortable enough. I had to ask the front desk for pillow cases for the extra pillows in our room. No big deal but still. Unfortunately we had to call maintenance at 9:30 at night because the toilet wouldn't stop running. Maintenance did show up within 20 minutes and "fixed" it. We did not flush it all night for fear we'd be listening to it all night. In the morning it wasn't working again. We were woken up early with someone running on the treadmill. The fitness center opens at 5:30 a.m. and our room was directly next to it. All I could hear after that time was the treadmill! Ugh! Pool area is in need of a major cleaning and new furniture. If you want to sit outside in the evening bring bug spray. The mosquitos and no-see-um's destroyed us! The same black Lexus SUV was parked in the front alcove the entire time we were there which made loading and unloading a pain.

Room Tip: Avoid the 2nd floor next to the fitness center. We were in room 215 and as soon as the fitness cente...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing our property and letting us know how we can improve. I'm glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay, the HDTV's are a new addition we added along with the recent renovation to the property. I'm so sorry about the issue with the toilet, thank you for bringing that to my attention, we've repaired it and it shouldn't be a problem again. As you mentioned we are the closest full service property to the Blue Ridge Parkway and we offer the best views of the Blue Ridge Mountains anywhere is the city. Hopefully we get to see you again in the future, and thank you again for letting us know how you enjoyed your stay!

Travel Safe

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
roanoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

After poor planning when I arrived in Roanoke to visit friends. I could not find a hotel that would rent without a credit card. Luckily, when I spoke with Jessica she was able to rent me a room using my id and a cash deposit. She was truly wonderful. All the staff were polite and courteous.I would recommend this hotel to everyone. The only complaint that I had was the trash dumpster being dumped at 5:30 am on a Saturday morning since I am a light sleeper.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
I'm so glad that you took the time to review our property and let us know how your stay was. I know it's hard sometimes to find a hotel that will accept a cash paying guest, but I'm glad you stumbled on to us. Jessica was so excited about your review, and I've shared this review with our management team. I'm sorry about the trash truck that early, I have called the removal company and straightened that out. Thank you again for taking the time out of your day to let us and others know how we're doing!

Travel Safe
Valencia, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Maybe I have been in too many Holiday Inns because I have started to compare carpets. This one has the cleanest so far. One thing I hate is dirty or worn carpets and in some HIs the carpets are so dirty you try and walk round the edges. The rooms are fine, good air cond., beds small, bathroom good. Restaurant fine and the staff are courteous and friendly. Our waiter was a very nice Tamil from Kerala. Food was really quite good. Overall, nice hotel. Everything a weary traveller needs. Good price.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you'll return again soon! Our carpets are new actually, just like the rest of the property (we just finished a renovation product that updated the entire hotel and restaurant). Thanks again for your kind words, travel safe.
Wi.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Old hotel, but updated nicely. Rooms good size. Bed & bathroom very clean. Nice outdoor pool. Staff very nice. Received free breakfast with softball team. It was the same thing everyday! Would stay again if in area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hopefully we get to see you again in the future! And I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I know that travel with sports teams can be stressful, but I'm glad to see that we delivered at outstanding stay for you and your team! Good luck in the future and please travel safe!
Erwin, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The condition of the motel was very good, but the staff is what made my stay as pleasant as it was. I feel like I've made two new friends who I hope to see again. Matthew Thomas was a very pleasant, friendly and helpful gentleman. I looked forward to seeing him each of my five mornings in Roanoke. Mr. B provided plenty of hospitality and entertainment in the Elephant Walk each evening. Overall, every member of the staff was pleasant, courteous and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We just finished a complete renovation of our property, and we're excited about the new product we offer, but what we pride ourselves on is our service. I'm so very pleased that Matthew and B were able to deliver such an excellent time for you. I will be sharing this review with them personally and look forward to seeing you again soon as well! Please travel safe, and thank you for taking the time to let us know how you enjoyed your stay !
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

we were on motorcycles on the Blue Ridge Parkway,this is at mile marker 121.9 .it was chilly, wet and we were tired and found this place,they let us park our Bikes under the over hang in front and found them to be friendly, and polite,the room was very clean, went out of there way to help, visiting from Canada

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Bill L,
Thank you for taking the time to let us and others know how your stay with us was. We love our bikers, and we always try to make them feel at home here with us. I hope you enjoyed your time on the Blue Ridge Parkway, did you know that we are the closest full service property to the Parkway? I hope you got the chance to try our restaurant.

Please ride safe, and come see us again soon!!!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stopped here again after a not so good experience and was very pleased to find the hotel back up to Holiday Inn standards. Everything was perfect and staff was super!!!! Do stop here when in Roanoke and you will be very well taken care of if you get the same great service I received.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thanks for giving us another shot at providing the kind of service you deserve. We're all very excited to see that you came back and were willing to let us show you how we've improved upon our product and services! The entire hotel is new, and the renovation is done! Please let me know if you plan to come back, we would love to see you again soon!

Thanks again! Travel Safe

Been to Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood? Share your experiences!