“SERVICE SAVE THE DAY” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Culver City, California
“SERVICE SAVE THE DAY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed here for business purposes. The hotel is basis but clean and is in the process of upgrading the rooms. I had an issue with noise and the engineer, Mr. Smith, spent almost an hour to help me find the right. I appreciate that type of customer service. Checking in and checking out was no problem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Wytheville, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay and the events of MystiCon held at this nice establishment. The front desk clerks were friendly, the room was nice and clean, comfortable bed, enjoyed downtime with the television (ahhh, the luxury of HBO), climate control functioned nicely, pretty nice location for shopping and eating, ... Only thing we didn't check out was the restaurant at the hotel. Overall, I found it cozy and nice! We would recommend this hotel as well as stay here again (especially for MystiCon!).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Never have we been more proud to host a convention event. This year was so spectacular and we were so excited leading up to and during the events. I'm glad you were able to relax in your room (that's a 32" 1080 HD TV), and yes, HBO in every room. I wish you had been able to try the Elephant Walk Restaurant though, the food there really is great. Maybe next year though. Thanks again for staying with us, and hopefully we'll see you again next year!

Centreville, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Not elegant, but suitable for a good night's sleep, with some nice amenities. I especially liked the choice of soft or firm pillow. I always appreciate a coffee maker in the bathroom, and it was extra nice to have a mini-fridge and microwave for economical in-room eating. There is also an iron, and the TV was adequate for my viewing preferences. No problems connecting with the free wi-fi. A/C worked well and adjusted to where we liked it. Not a big room, and as I said, not particularly fancy, but comfortable. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating, too. We even got a free shuttle ride to the nearest Walgreens for some unexpected personal needs. Lots of conference rooms, hallways are a bit narrow. The Sunday brunch in the restaurant was a bargain at $10 for all you can eat! We got there closer to lunch time, and the bbq chicken was yummy! Don't be put off by the scaffolding outside, (they are still renovating,) or the small lobby. It's really a pretty nice place!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm truly happy that you enjoyed your stay, and I'm glad that you got to try the Sunday Brunch Buffet. Our restaurant staff is always excited when Sunday rolls around and they get to serve that special menu. We do offer a complimentary shuttle to anywhere within 3 miles, or to the airport, and the TV's are all 32" 1080 now. Thank you so much for staying with us, and I really hope we get to see you again in the future!

Goodview, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Granted we got a convention rate, but not a bad room for the money. Only complaint would be that our mini fridge made too much noise while we we're trying to sleep. Even though we we're at the end of the hall across from an elevator and steps, I never heard the loud slamming of a door, or the elevator.
Checking in was a breeze and they even worked with me and allowed me to check in earlier than the stated three PM time.
Staff was wonderful. From the time I asked about checking in early, checking me in, to checking out. They we're always friendly and had a smile. Something A LOT of business's are lacking today.
I'll be staying there again for next years Con.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We are so blessed every year when the end of February rolls around and we get to host this Con. This year was by far the biggest it's been, and sometimes it becomes very difficult to manage all the details surrounding this type of event. That said, the staff from the Con and from our facility worked so diligently this year to make sure everything went smoothly, and we feel great about the outcome. Sorry about the fridge, but i'm glad to hear that you didn't experience any other issues with noise. Also, you're very correct, a smile goes a long way, and we pride ourselves on ours.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights during MystiCon, a local science fiction convention. The hotel is in an excellent location, just off Electric Road an near banks, grocery stores, restaurants, and Tanglewood Mall on the south side of town. It's a quick ride to downtown, the airport, or Salem, too, if needed.

The front desk staff were friendly, professional, and didn't lose their cool or look down their noses at the crowds of stormtroopers, princesses, etc. attending the con. Kudos.

We were in a queen room with a double sleeper couch. The room was a bit dated but clean. The bed was very, very comfy and I really appreciated that they included both soft (for DH) and firm (for me) pillows. The amenities were standard--soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion--but for once, they weren't overperfumed. Thank you! The shower was forceful without being cruel, and there seemed to be plenty of hot water every time we needed it. Small "closet" but lots of drawers and electrical outlets. FREE WI-FI, people. Temperature control was good with the in-room heat/AC unit. HD TV did the job just fine, as did the refrigerator and coffeemaker. We weren't in a handicap-accessible room, so I can't comment on that. The noise level was very low, even though we our room was down the hall from the consuite.

We had a cup of coffee in the hotel bar, but otherwise, we didn't eat at the hotel. The first morning of the con, though, they gave us each a small bag containing 2 blueberry muffins, an apple, and a banana. That was nice.

The meeting (con) facilities were decent, and the chairs were comfortable. The only negative is that all of the con traffic needed to pass through 2 fairly narrow hallways, which made navigation difficult at times. There were 2 elevators handling the crowd, so the wait usually wasn't very long.

The hotel is undergoing some renovations, most apparent around the pool area (which was closed in February, of course). I didn't notice any noise or smell from the work, though.

All in all, this Holiday Inn offers a great value for a decent room in a very good location. I'd stay here again, for sure.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow. What a fantastic amount of feedback!! Thank you so much for taking the time to include so much information for us. We are all so glad that everyone seems to have enjoyed the con again this year! And we can't wait to host it again in 2014!! I'm sorry that you didn't get a chance to try out the food in our restaurant,but hopefully you'll get that opportunity next time you stay with us. You've made mention of several of our amenities, but it seems your favorite was the free wi-fi. Some travelers don't realize how important that is until they happen to be somewhere without it. And we offer that in the entire building (even by the pool).

We can't wait to see all the Storm Troopers and Browncoats again next year (cause you can't stop the signal Mal). And hopefully you'll be among them!

Bluefield, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I travel very poorly and usually dread it but my comfort level at this hotel is always assured. A year after our last visit we walked in to a staff that knew our names and preferences. The accommodations are more than comfortable, every level of the staff is kind, attentive and friendly.

With easy access to a variety of restaurants, shopping and entertainment Holiday Inn Tanglewood will always be our choice for our travels to and in Roanoke.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I was so excited when I heard that you were coming back again this year. We all remembered you from the previous year's Con and we loved having you. Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm happy that you were comfortable again this year. And I look forward to seeing you again next year! Thank you again for your time and kind words.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

While staying at holiday Inn Tanglewood for Mysticon 2013, I was pleasantly surprised with the professionalism of the staff, the cleanliness of the hotel itself, and the way the hotel put up with our noise and activities. It was very pleasant and I would stay there again. :)

• Stayed February 2013
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us while attending your convention. We're so glad that we were able to impress you, as we pride ourselves on our service. Every guest, every day, every time we want to deliver on our promise to be the best. I hope you enjoyed the Con and we all can't wait to host you again next year!!

Travel Safe

Been to Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood? Share your experiences!