“Last Minute Stay on Snowy Day” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Wilmington, NC
“Last Minute Stay on Snowy Day”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband stays here often for business and they are always accommodating. We came in late (11pm) on a Friday evening. We did not make a reservation, given it was a last minute trip and we were only staying one night. The front desk staff was very friendly but informed us they only had one room left that night (Jacuzzi suite). They had received lots of snow the day before and due to power outages, the local hotels had filled up. We paid for and stayed in a Jacuzzi suite, which was ok. Luckily we were not looking for anything fancy. The in-room jacuzzi was nice, but the room had areas that needed repair in the ceiling and bathroom. The shower drain was pulled out and looked very unclean. But the bed was comfortable and having two tv's was nice! We received two complimentary breakfast tickets. The omelette and waffle station was great and the breakfast staff was so kind, they even gave us coffee to go! All in all, the staff was very friendly, room was comfortable, but there was alot of remodeling being done during the day (lots of noise/construction vehicles, etc.) One last thing, I requested a late check out since my husband would be working, I wanted to stay in the hotel and relax the next day. They allowed us to check out at 1pm with no issues and no extra charge!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I'm so glad that we were able to accommodate you on short notice. Our Jacuzzi suites offer spacious tubs and extra room for seating and enjoying our 40" screen televisions. I'm very sorry for the minor issues experienced during your stay, but I'm excited to hear that our staff was able to accommodate for a late checkout for you. We are currently undergoing a major overhaul of our exterior grounds that is going to be very impressive when it's complete. Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to let us know how we're doing as it is essential for our goals to be reached.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Fieldale, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I am staying at this property for the workshop and will stay extra night just to hang out with the staff. After a little issue first night and talking to their GM Mr. Patel, I feel more confident about this property. Now everyone know me by name and make sure to greet me and took the bad taste out of my mouth about 1st night Fire Alarm issue.

Everything is perfect , staff, clean - comfortable room, what else to say. I feel special.

Try to get room on 5th floor it has nice view.

I will recommend this property to everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
I'm so glad to hear that we were able to turn it around for you. I do understand how frustrating it is when issues come up like this. But I'm so happy that you decided to stay another night and spend some extra time with us. I hope you had the chance to eat in our restaurant while you were here. Please let me know if you decided to make a return trip. I'll share this review with our GM right away!! He will be very pleased.

Travel safe.
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Hotel was externally being remodeled; it looked as if it had been bombed. The place is a lost cause. Remodeling this place is like putting lipstick on a PIG!
Front desk on check in was disinterested. Room had a plastic covering over our window most of our stay so we were unable to see outside. On our last night the place was filled with high school kids partying and who knows what else until the wee hours of the morning. Doors slamming, loud noises and screaming, etc. How the management could allow this I will never understand. The party was broken up around 4AM when the Police, Paramedics and Fire Department showed up to take someone out on a stretcher!
We booked this through Expedia Unpublished Rates. We were promised a 3 star or above. What a let down. Don't book your stay this way; you will get much less than you pay for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for you feedback, it is vital to our continuing attempt to improve the service we provide every day. I'm very sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay, and I would really love to talk to you more about these issue. I have given my front desk staff the OK to give you my cell phone number if you were to call at a time that I happen to be off property.

This is not the kind of stay we like our guests to feel that they had, and I would love to offer you an opportunity to see the excellent service that we can, and do try to provide every day, with every guest. Our renovation on the exterior of the building is going to be complete soon, and I would love for you to see the finished product.

Travel safe
Cohasset, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

While visiting our daughters in Bluefield WV and Richlands VA, Miss C had a stroke and was transported to the hospital in Roanoke. I had a room at the hotel from 11/28 untill 12/28, and again on 12/05/12. The outside of the building was under renovation at that time and the job looks great. We all know that the building is only part of a hotel, it's the staff that defines a hotel. After long stays at the hospital the staff made the hotel almost feel like home. The front desk staff, restaurant, and housekeeping were available 24/7 for any request we had, and were always very helpful. I would recomend this hotel as the only place to stay in the Roanoke area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I'm so glad to here that you enjoyed your time with us during a very trying time for you and your family. We strive every day to provide the best service possible for our guests and it's great to here when we do well! I do certainly hope that Miss C is doing well. I am glad that you were impressed with the changes we're making to our property. We are just about done with the exterior and at the turn of the year we begin our ballrooms!! Thank you again for your kind words and feedback, and let us know if there is anything we can do to serve you again!

Travel Safe,
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Nice hotel with nice service but I appreciate if they will have more options in breakfast like oriental breakfast but for the house kipping they are great with very kind full agents
Thanks holiday inn we hope visiting next

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thanks so much for your kind words and for taking the time to let us know how we're doing! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on our service and it's nice to know all the hard work in training we do is having an effect. I will definetly bring your request about our breakfast to our management team, we do offer a full buffet breakfast in our restaurant and a free continental for our Priority Club Members.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you again very soon!!

Travel safe
Painted Post, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Not sure what happened to the review my fiancee wrote on 11/23 so I am sending another one. While traveling to South Carolina we only made it to Roanoke due to my mother getting ill and she had to be taken to the hospital. We stayed here for an unexpected stay 11/11 thru 11/21 due to my mom having a stroke. We have to say that the whole staff was so wonderful!!! The front desk staff helped us trmendously with discounted rooms, referrals, etc. and the housekeeping staff on the 2nd and 5th floors were very attentive to our needs. Whatever we needed the staff went out of their way to help. We had Dee on the 2nd floor and she checked in with us constantly to see what we needed, asked about my mom and even referred us to a garage when we found what we thought was a nail in one of the tires on our van. My brother stayed on the 5th floor and he said that Leo ( I think that was his name) was just as attentive as Dee was to us. If the occasion arises that we stop in Roanoke in our future travels, this will be the place we stay. Kudos to the whole staff!!! God Bless you All!! You were all truley our Guardian Angels during our stay!!!! We can't thank you enough!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we're doing. I'm so glad that we were able to serve you during what must have been a very stressful time. I hope everyone got home safely and that your mother is doing well. And thank you for mentioning that Dee and Leo did so great for you. I'm very pleased that they were so helpful as we pride ourselves on our service. I'll be sure to let our executive housekeeper know that they are doing great work. I do so hope that we get to see you again in the future, the next time you travel be sure to give us a call and we'll be very happy to serve you again. Thank you again for your kind words.

Travel Safe,
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I travel quite a bit...so hotels typically blend together..but my particular stay at this hotel was lovely. Dana at the front desk, was just wonderful during my stay. From check in to check out..anytime she saw me she said hello and remembered my name. She went out of her way to help me when she didn't need to. One reason I chose this hotel was because it is pet friendly...I have been taking my pug with me during short trips and she was treated royally right from the beginning at check in. I do appreciate that.
As far as the building, for being an older building, the hotel has been updated quite nicely.. even the room service from the restaurant was tasty and the person who delivered it was very very friendly.
The only suggestion would be the fitness center. The equipment is quite old...one treadmill would shut off after 8 minutes both times (which I didn't mind..lol).
All in all...love it. Actually going back again tonight for the night.
Thanks to everyone!
-Danielle and her pug, Poey

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
I'm so glad to here that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know. Dana is a shining star for us at the desk, and I'm so happy that she made you feel special. I hope that Poey enjoyed the stay as well. We did just recently finish a renovation in all of our sleeping rooms, and we are currently renovating the exterior of our building as well. After that come our ballrooms and banquet facility (to be renovated in January!!!), and I'm glad to see that you noticed. As for the fitness center, we are in the process of deciding on some upgrades for the equipment in there as a few of our guests have asked us to improve there.

I'll be sure that Dana and your room service delivery person are recognized at our next monthly meeting, and thank you again for feedback!

Travel Safe

Been to Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood? Share your experiences!