“Good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Roanoke, Virginia
“Good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Nice hotel with nice service but I appreciate if they will have more options in breakfast like oriental breakfast but for the house kipping they are great with very kind full agents
Thanks holiday inn we hope visiting next

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thanks so much for your kind words and for taking the time to let us know how we're doing! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on our service and it's nice to know all the hard work in training we do is having an effect. I will definetly bring your request about our breakfast to our management team, we do offer a full buffet breakfast in our restaurant and a free continental for our Priority Club Members.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you again very soon!!

Travel safe

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Painted Post, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Not sure what happened to the review my fiancee wrote on 11/23 so I am sending another one. While traveling to South Carolina we only made it to Roanoke due to my mother getting ill and she had to be taken to the hospital. We stayed here for an unexpected stay 11/11 thru 11/21 due to my mom having a stroke. We have to say that the whole staff was so wonderful!!! The front desk staff helped us trmendously with discounted rooms, referrals, etc. and the housekeeping staff on the 2nd and 5th floors were very attentive to our needs. Whatever we needed the staff went out of their way to help. We had Dee on the 2nd floor and she checked in with us constantly to see what we needed, asked about my mom and even referred us to a garage when we found what we thought was a nail in one of the tires on our van. My brother stayed on the 5th floor and he said that Leo ( I think that was his name) was just as attentive as Dee was to us. If the occasion arises that we stop in Roanoke in our future travels, this will be the place we stay. Kudos to the whole staff!!! God Bless you All!! You were all truley our Guardian Angels during our stay!!!! We can't thank you enough!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we're doing. I'm so glad that we were able to serve you during what must have been a very stressful time. I hope everyone got home safely and that your mother is doing well. And thank you for mentioning that Dee and Leo did so great for you. I'm very pleased that they were so helpful as we pride ourselves on our service. I'll be sure to let our executive housekeeper know that they are doing great work. I do so hope that we get to see you again in the future, the next time you travel be sure to give us a call and we'll be very happy to serve you again. Thank you again for your kind words.

Travel Safe,
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I travel quite a bit...so hotels typically blend together..but my particular stay at this hotel was lovely. Dana at the front desk, was just wonderful during my stay. From check in to check out..anytime she saw me she said hello and remembered my name. She went out of her way to help me when she didn't need to. One reason I chose this hotel was because it is pet friendly...I have been taking my pug with me during short trips and she was treated royally right from the beginning at check in. I do appreciate that.
As far as the building, for being an older building, the hotel has been updated quite nicely.. even the room service from the restaurant was tasty and the person who delivered it was very very friendly.
The only suggestion would be the fitness center. The equipment is quite old...one treadmill would shut off after 8 minutes both times (which I didn't mind..lol).
All in all...love it. Actually going back again tonight for the night.
Thanks to everyone!
-Danielle and her pug, Poey

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
I'm so glad to here that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know. Dana is a shining star for us at the desk, and I'm so happy that she made you feel special. I hope that Poey enjoyed the stay as well. We did just recently finish a renovation in all of our sleeping rooms, and we are currently renovating the exterior of our building as well. After that come our ballrooms and banquet facility (to be renovated in January!!!), and I'm glad to see that you noticed. As for the fitness center, we are in the process of deciding on some upgrades for the equipment in there as a few of our guests have asked us to improve there.

I'll be sure that Dana and your room service delivery person are recognized at our next monthly meeting, and thank you again for feedback!

Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was hoping that the reviews were just from some picky people but not so. I must say I was disappointed to find a Holiday Inn that disappointed like here. It seems they are trying to fix this property but just not quiet there yet. As a Platinum Priority member I was unable to get a room upgrade even thought the place seemed to be very empty. I think the very disinterested young man that checked me in just did not want to bother changing or looking. The fridge made a noise like the fan was hitting something (must have had the same room as another reviewer as they had same complaint). I told the young man at the desk about it but he did not offer to change my room however at 7:30AM on Sunday morning I had a man try to enter my room! I think he might have been there about the problem but when I ask what he wanted he just left with no answer. I did not have an issue with the smoke smell like others mentioned which was wonderful as I can not tolerate smoke. Wish the hotel would go smoke free!!

Room Tip: If you are smoke sensitive ask for the non smoking floor!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to let us know your thoughts, and i'm very sorry that we seemed to have not exceed you expectations. Our upgraded rooms are in high demand, but we do try to make sure that our VIPs get an upgrade when they ask for one and I'm sorry we weren't able to accommodate you during your stay. We are actually still in process of renovating our entire property, and we pride ourselves on outstanding service, so I hope we get another chance to impress you.

Thank you again for your feedback, I'd love to speak to you further if you get a chance.
Bedford, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Let's just say a coat of paint and new panels in an elevator does not make a hotel "updated". The front desk staff was friendly and efficient. That's the best I can say.

I was on a non-smoking floor, and had my dog with me (on the 3rd floor)...there was definitely smoking along the hallway. Room was more than worn. Sink separating under the counter top, counter separating from splashback.....and no nightlight needed.......there was enough light in my room room from the space between the wall and the DOOR to keep the room well lit.

I left before 6am this morning, and as I was loading my car, watched some guy walk in the entry way "C" without a room key being swiped. I went up to the door to try, and sure enough, walked right in........so much for security. And, if you're going to put lamps in the hallways, turn them on!

Took the staircase closest to my room to take my dog out, and walked right into housekeeping....

It felt so dirty to me, that I feel like I need a full body dip in Purell....NASTY.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
I'm so sorry to hear about the issues during your stay. We pride ourselves on our service and I am glad to see that our staff was friendly and helpful. We do take the security of our guests very seriously and I'm thankful that you've brought the issue of the door lock to my attention. We are beginning an exterior renovation to our building this week and I can assure you that the issue of the entrance ways will be addressed. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about these issues so we can get them fixed. I'd love to see you again to have the chance to impress you this time, as we are making a lot of changes to our property that I think you would enjoy. Hopefully we will get that opportunity.

Thank you again for your time and feedback,
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at this property on my way to Tennesse. It was a overnight stay but got chance to experience their hotel entirely. From Registration process to Final Bill was just over my expectation. I was greeted by every single employee who encountered me during my stay. The manager (Indian Guy) was very pleasant. The Front desk staff couldn't find my reservation as it was made for wrong date ( my fault) but he overheard the conversation on his way out and stopped to help his staff. He also remembered me from night before and greeted me by name next morning. The housekeeping team does great job cleaning room. Breakfast was awesome even though the Breakfast needs some renovation.

Would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: They have smoking rooms on one floor which make it a perfect place for smokers.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay here with us!! I'm excited to see that our staff was so friendly and welcoming during your stay, we pride ourselves on our service and it's nice to see that our staff delivers on that. Our Assistant GM (the Indian Guy) had a little grin reading your review, and he was really very happy to see that you took time out of your day to let us know how we did! I'm also really happy that you had a chance to try our breakfast, I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it, and about the needed renovation, we are actually getting ready to start a renovation in our banquets and restaurant building this coming winter. The next time you come back you wont even recognize the building. Please take care, and we truly thank you for your kind words and feedback.

Travel Safe,
Stamford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Looked great on checking in, receptionist friendly, clean modern hotel, but looks are not everything!.
On entering room found our toilet was broken,reported straight away but took couple of hours before someone came to sort it, had to go down to toilets in reception in the mean time!
I felt this hotel had no atmosphere it felt cold and uninviting , maybe because not many people about, but even staff seemed disinterested, because of this we decided to eat out.
Room itself was fine, clean and comfortable.
Breakfast was awful - milk we used for our breakfast cereal was off, told waiter who said " well its in date"!!..after this all yogurts were removed as well, so something amiss!. Waiters spent most of time texting or watching TV!
Not ususal Holiday Inn standard.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we did, and I'm very sorry that you had some negative experiences here with us. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the room and that our desk staff was friendly upon your arrival. This feedback is crucial to our ongoing efforts to always improve and to provide excellent service. I do hope we get the chance to serve you again, and when you do come back I'd love to introduce myself.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback,
Travel Safe

Been to Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood? Share your experiences!