“Same issues other reviewers had....SHOULD BE BETTER!!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Same issues other reviewers had....SHOULD BE BETTER!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was hoping that the reviews were just from some picky people but not so. I must say I was disappointed to find a Holiday Inn that disappointed like here. It seems they are trying to fix this property but just not quiet there yet. As a Platinum Priority member I was unable to get a room upgrade even thought the place seemed to be very empty. I think the very disinterested young man that checked me in just did not want to bother changing or looking. The fridge made a noise like the fan was hitting something (must have had the same room as another reviewer as they had same complaint). I told the young man at the desk about it but he did not offer to change my room however at 7:30AM on Sunday morning I had a man try to enter my room! I think he might have been there about the problem but when I ask what he wanted he just left with no answer. I did not have an issue with the smoke smell like others mentioned which was wonderful as I can not tolerate smoke. Wish the hotel would go smoke free!!

Room Tip: If you are smoke sensitive ask for the non smoking floor!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to let us know your thoughts, and i'm very sorry that we seemed to have not exceed you expectations. Our upgraded rooms are in high demand, but we do try to make sure that our VIPs get an upgrade when they ask for one and I'm sorry we weren't able to accommodate you during your stay. We are actually still in process of renovating our entire property, and we pride ourselves on outstanding service, so I hope we get another chance to impress you.

Thank you again for your feedback, I'd love to speak to you further if you get a chance.

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Newmarket, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Let's just say a coat of paint and new panels in an elevator does not make a hotel "updated". The front desk staff was friendly and efficient. That's the best I can say.

I was on a non-smoking floor, and had my dog with me (on the 3rd floor)...there was definitely smoking along the hallway. Room was more than worn. Sink separating under the counter top, counter separating from splashback.....and no nightlight needed.......there was enough light in my room room from the space between the wall and the DOOR to keep the room well lit.

I left before 6am this morning, and as I was loading my car, watched some guy walk in the entry way "C" without a room key being swiped. I went up to the door to try, and sure enough, walked right in........so much for security. And, if you're going to put lamps in the hallways, turn them on!

Took the staircase closest to my room to take my dog out, and walked right into housekeeping....

It felt so dirty to me, that I feel like I need a full body dip in Purell....NASTY.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
I'm so sorry to hear about the issues during your stay. We pride ourselves on our service and I am glad to see that our staff was friendly and helpful. We do take the security of our guests very seriously and I'm thankful that you've brought the issue of the door lock to my attention. We are beginning an exterior renovation to our building this week and I can assure you that the issue of the entrance ways will be addressed. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about these issues so we can get them fixed. I'd love to see you again to have the chance to impress you this time, as we are making a lot of changes to our property that I think you would enjoy. Hopefully we will get that opportunity.

Thank you again for your time and feedback,
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at this property on my way to Tennesse. It was a overnight stay but got chance to experience their hotel entirely. From Registration process to Final Bill was just over my expectation. I was greeted by every single employee who encountered me during my stay. The manager (Indian Guy) was very pleasant. The Front desk staff couldn't find my reservation as it was made for wrong date ( my fault) but he overheard the conversation on his way out and stopped to help his staff. He also remembered me from night before and greeted me by name next morning. The housekeeping team does great job cleaning room. Breakfast was awesome even though the Breakfast needs some renovation.

Would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: They have smoking rooms on one floor which make it a perfect place for smokers.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay here with us!! I'm excited to see that our staff was so friendly and welcoming during your stay, we pride ourselves on our service and it's nice to see that our staff delivers on that. Our Assistant GM (the Indian Guy) had a little grin reading your review, and he was really very happy to see that you took time out of your day to let us know how we did! I'm also really happy that you had a chance to try our breakfast, I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it, and about the needed renovation, we are actually getting ready to start a renovation in our banquets and restaurant building this coming winter. The next time you come back you wont even recognize the building. Please take care, and we truly thank you for your kind words and feedback.

Travel Safe,
Stamford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Looked great on checking in, receptionist friendly, clean modern hotel, but looks are not everything!.
On entering room found our toilet was broken,reported straight away but took couple of hours before someone came to sort it, had to go down to toilets in reception in the mean time!
I felt this hotel had no atmosphere it felt cold and uninviting , maybe because not many people about, but even staff seemed disinterested, because of this we decided to eat out.
Room itself was fine, clean and comfortable.
Breakfast was awful - milk we used for our breakfast cereal was off, told waiter who said " well its in date"!!..after this all yogurts were removed as well, so something amiss!. Waiters spent most of time texting or watching TV!
Not ususal Holiday Inn standard.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we did, and I'm very sorry that you had some negative experiences here with us. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the room and that our desk staff was friendly upon your arrival. This feedback is crucial to our ongoing efforts to always improve and to provide excellent service. I do hope we get the chance to serve you again, and when you do come back I'd love to introduce myself.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback,
Alabaster, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here one night and for one night, it's not bad. Actually, the rooms are clean and quiet and bed is comfortable with the exception of the horrid Holiday Inn pillows which are rock hard and over-stuffed. Guaranteed neckache the next morning. The hotel itself is tired and a bit run-down. They have tried to update but must have hired a budget contractor as some of the shortcuts they took are laughable. Paint drops everywhere, The front desk crew were friendly but not too professional. One was eating a hamburger while checking us in. I would stay here again as it's ok once you get to your room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we did during your recent stay with us. We are always excited to hear from our guests, and your feedback is vital to our ongoing efforts to improve our property. I'm most excited to hear that you appreciated the service provided by our staff and the cleanliness of your room. I would love to introduce myself when you come to stay again and look forward to meeting you, however be prepared as we are getting ready to renovate the exterior of our building and all of our banquet and meeting rooms. You wont even recognize the hotel when you come back, we're all chomping at the bit to get started on it!

Thanks again for your time and your feedback,
Travel safe!
Goldsboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just left Roanoke's Holiday Inn Tanglewood- The staff - ALL staff - housekeeping included - were the nicest. Everyone greeted us each morning and night with a pleasant smile. IT WAS refreshing to see that . This hotel is huge - they have a parking shortage for as large as their hotel is but I would go there again. It was clean - couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: Get 5th floor room - MOUNTAIN view - there is no complimentary cereal or muffins unless you are a pr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We have spent a ton of time in training with all of our staff recently and it's nice to see that paying off. We are a fairly large property and we are working on some ideas to make parking easier for our guests. I see that you enjoyed out mountain view rooms, we are settled in the blue ridge and this is the BEST time of year to be here with the change into fall. The view from our fifth floor is indeed breathtaking, it often times even surprises me still. We do have the continental breakfast set up every weekday for our Priority Club Members, but also offer a fantastic buffet meal in our restaurant as well!

Thank you again for your time and for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon!
Travel safely!
Bremen, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I was on a bus tour to the Amish Country and our first stop was to spend the night here. The rooms were very nice. Breakfast was served to our group on the fifth floor. The only problem I had was the drink machines that had water were on the first floor. Beds comfortable and very clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your feedback. I hope the rest of your trip went well, and I'm very glad that we had the chance to serve your group. Our continental breakfast is served on the 5th floor, and it is available to our club members 5 days a week! Also, we did just finish a room renovation this year, so I'm excited to see that you noticed! Myself and the rest of the managers had a weekly meeting today and I brought up the fact that water is only available on the first floor, we are calling our vendors today to make sure that gets changed so the next time we see you it will be available in every vending machine!

Thank you again for your kind words, travel safe!

Been to Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood? Share your experiences!