“Updated?” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
“Updated?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Omg this has to be the worst Holiday Inn. It's needs some serious TLC! Frig in room buzzed all night. Some serious carpet cleaning needed. Found someone else's toenails on the floor in my room! The beds left me with lower back pains. I'm sorry but I do not have one good thing to say about this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Thesoupnazi88,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We booked our reservations through the Holiday Inn website for a room with a king bed a week before our stay. When we arrived, we were told they only had doubles left. I asked to cancel my room without penalties since they didn't hold the reservation and immediately began looking up other hotels in the area. They immediately found the manager and somehow a king room became available. The hotel is old and shows wear. Wallpaper is peeling off the walls near the elevator. The room was clean but the carpets in the hallways showed lots of stains. For the price, I was disappointed. One night earlier we stayed in Lynchburg at the Hilton Garden Inn, it was only $17 more for the night and was like a palace in comparison to this place. They also had a nice indoor pool and hot tub and their restaurant/bar area was much nicer also. Next time we'll find a Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear TerriK770,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. It is good to know that they were able to provide you with the room type needed. I apologize for not being able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations. We have taken note of your comments and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed. I hope you can give us a chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V.
Apollo Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My company usually has our meetings at the HI on Ordway Drive close to the airport. It's an ok hotel that's a bit older but completely fine for my purposes. They were sold out this last trip so we were booked at the Tanglewood location. Loved the switch! At first I thought it was a brand new hotel but realized later it was just a well refurbished older property that has been maintained really well. Although not a Ritz-Carlton, it had just enough touches of class and decor to make me really pleased. Loved the Priority Club, Club Room for breakfast and my room was large and comfy. It was on the top floor in a "private" kind of area, accessed through 2 french doors. Was a very quiet area of the hotel I guess reserved for Priority Club guests. High ceilings and big windows. Hope to go back. The restaurant also had GREAT food, especially for a hotel. I had delicious shrimp and grits!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback, I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay here. We know there are several options around the area for hosting meetings, and we're so glad you chose to try out our facility for your last event. You've noted that you felt as if the hotel was a newer property, We actually did just renovate all of our rooms, and have a renovation planned for our conference facility coming the end of this year!! I hope you'll get a chance to see our banquet rooms after the renovation, you wont even recognize the rooms you were in last time! Also it's nice to see that you enjoyed our restaurant and the Priority Club Lounge, we recently started setting up a free continental for our club members and they really seem to be enjoying it. I will be sure to get a copy of your comments to our restaurant manager and his staff! If you find yourself needing a room in the area again, don't hesitate to call me! Thanks again, and we all hope to see you again soon!!
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I just wanted to share, and give high praise to the staff at the Holiday Inn Roanoke. I travel a lot in my line of work, and rarely have my expectations been exceeded like they were by the exemplary service provided by the front desk associates at this property. From check in, to sharing local hotspot insight, dining, and ensuring that all facets of my stay were attended to, Krishna and Dana certainly made this road warrior feel more at home. I would highly recommend this property, and look forward to future stays here in my travels.

Room Tip: try to be farther away from the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback, it's always exciting to hear high praise for our staff. We take pride in our service and focus heavily on training our staff to be helpful and informative. I'm glad to see that you plan to be back and would love to introduce myself when you're with us again. I will see to it personally that Dana and Krishna are recognized and rewarded for their excellent work! Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

My family stayed here 1 night on the way to Pennsylvania. It was room 433 I think. For starters there is no free breakfast which wasn't a deal breaker. But, parking was a pain as they did not have enough on our end of the hotel so we had to park on the meeting room end. Our room was warm when we arrived so I turned the air on high set at 70 degrees. The air blew about as hard as mini desk fan on low. We slept without covers, turning the unit to 66 degrees during the night it took the rest of the night to cool off. The part in the coffee maker that holds the filter had god knows how many months of residue in it, it was disgusting. A prior guest's hair clip was still attached to the lamp by the bed. Had a reservation to stay there on the way home but have cancelled it.

• Stayed September 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear kimmypooh79,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Katie J
Radford, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed 2 nights for a local wedding. Everything was adequate. Problem with the shower fixed immediately upon reporting the problem. Clean rooms, friendly staff. Friends had a "parlor room" which was great to have a place to hang out with a kitchen! Convenient to Tanglewood mall, and area restaurants. Basic hotel breakfast (eggs, waffles, etc.), not included with price unless you are a club member, then only available free to club members Monday through Friday.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope the wedding was fantastic! I'm very pleased to see that our maintenance crew was on top of things when you had an issue in the room, our chief engineer will be very please to hear that! Our parlor rooms are unique, one-of-a-kind congregational rooms that are very useful for family events and weddings, and I'm happy you were able to find use in one. Our full buffet breakfast is available 7 days a week, and we do have a continental on weekdays for our club members as well. I do hope you we get to see you again, and thanks again for your feedback!
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Everything met my expectations of Holiday Inn...nothing exceptional, but good nonetheless. Typical mid-scale rooms and decor. I don't think you'll have any negative issues unless you're a Ritz-Carlton type of traveller.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
I'm so glad to know that our property met your expectations! I noticed that you provided high marks for the cleanliness and service categories. I'm very pleased to see that as we've spent a lot of time and effort in training over the past few months. My staff will be excited to know that you were pleased with them. I'm wondering though if you had the chance to eat in our restaurant? I hope that you did, and that you enjoyed it. If you didn't find the time do get into the lounge, then i truly hope you get to stay with us again. We feel that our restaurant is one of the best qualities we have here. Thank you again for your feedback, and let me know when you're coming back by!!

Been to Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood? Share your experiences!