“Great Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Roanoke, Virginia
“Great Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

The hotel itself is a bit dated and undergoing renovations. Despite this the price was right and the staff was very professional and accommodating. Mike Snelling was especially helpful with a number of needs I had as a cross-country cyclist. He helped make my stay quite enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Travis H, General Manager at Sleep Inn Tanglewood, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We are undergoing renovations to to improve our customers experience. It is employees like Mike Snellings that helps put us above our competition. Please stop by the hotel next time your riding through the valley!

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I enjoyed my stay in the in-progress, renovated Sleep Inn. At least, I hope they aren't finished renovating yet. There are certainly some nice amenities like the furniture, fridge/freezer, desk, etc. The door to the bathroom is an old-school sliding door that disappears into it's hiding cubby if it's pushed too far. This makes for a struggle to get it out again. The exhaust fan that turns on automatically when the bathroom light is on was like a loud, squeaky wheel. The A/C has to be set at a much lower temperature because the thermometer must be broken. The front desk employee, Raj, was very nice. The interior is nice and I'd say overall it's worth the price. But, I would recommend having another final inspection crew go through each of the rooms to make sure it's up to the standards set by Sleep Inn. Thanks for a good stay.

Room Tip: Perhaps it would help to call ahead and ask which rooms have been completely renovated and request t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Travis H, General Manager at Sleep Inn Tanglewood, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a review. You are exactly right, we are still doing minor tweaking to finish our renovations. We have completed the main part which is gutting the rooms and re finishing and purchasing new furniture and equipment. Now comes the remaining parts. replacing old Air conditioners, bath fans, bedding, and sprucing up the outside. This is a 30 year old property in which we hope in the coming months will be top of the line and state of the art. please stop by next time you stay and let us know how you we are doing!!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Spent the night at this hotel while moving across the country. Very nice facility, very clean, excellent service, really nice hot breakfast and again, excellent service. This experience caused us to chose another Sleep Inn on the next night of our journey. We hIghly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Travis H, General Manager at Sleep Inn Tanglewood, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words and support for Choice Hotels! I hope that you stay with us any time that your coming through the Roanoke Valley!
Lindside, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Recently stayed one night while in town on business. Paid about half what the famous downtown hotel wanted. The room was satisfactory (about average), bur the sheets and bedspread were ancient and need to be replaced. Best part of the stay was when I left my briefcase behind, and the desk clerk Travis managed to find out my cell number and called me before I left town. Inside was my computer and irreplaceable records. In general the staff was very friendly and helpful with any other need I had. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words! We strive to give great customer service and go above and beyond the standard for guests. We do apololgize for not having the new bedding in yet as we are still finishing up renovations.
Upper Marlboro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

The hotel is undergoing renovations. Let me tell you about the good: the staff is very accommodating; the room I had was spacious (2-queen bed suite with sitting room); two TVs and two toilets - one each in the bedroom and one each in the sitting area; close to shopping and eateries; easy on/off the highway. Because it was undergoing renovation and workers tramping through the area, dust seemed to be everywhere. The renovated rooms still needed some tweeking but a call to the front desk had the management doing everything they could to correct any problem. My group had eight rooms and I didn't get any complaints from them. The better news for this hotel is if you don't mind a little dust AND you want to be treated like you are the most important guest that this hotel will ever receive - this is the place for you. I will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Travis H, General Manager at Sleep Inn Tanglewood, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Thank you so much for your insight into the hotel! It was a pleasure to get to meet your bowling group and I do apologize for any inconveniences that you encountered. I have a wonderful staff in place here at Sleep Inn Tanglewood. We are excited about the continuing development of the hotel and believe that every time you come back the experience will be even better! We have many more upgrades coming and hope to see you anytime you come to the Roanoke Valley!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Although undergoing some renovation, the hotel was very nice. Did not have the sleeper sofa as advertised, but a rollaway bed was made available immediately. Breakfast was great, many choices to please everyone's pallet. Room had some things I would liked to not be like they were, like some electrical switches/plugs that needed attention and the shower head is for people only under five feet tall. Overall though we had a great stay and will more than likely stay here again.

Room Tip: Booking a month in advance and paying at the booking time really gave us a much better experience an...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed there for one night to break up a two day drive. Clearly we were tired and wanted to be out of the car, but not this bad. I called a sister hotel which was ranked high on TripAdvisor, but when they didn't have availability, they suggested this hotel. I should have done my research and looked back at the hotel rankings. While the room was very large, as promised, it was old, dirty, and rundown. No bugs, but exposed electrical work, thin mattresses, stained bathrooms, and dusty walls abounded. A few positives- the front desk staff was very, very nice when we checked in. So helpful I felt bad having to write an honest review of the establishment. They also had a basic breakfast that satisfied two kids, and it was free. Also, the room was cheap. Lesson learned though, I will not be so impulsive next time when my first choice isn't available.

Stayed December 2013

Been to Sleep Inn Tanglewood? Share your experiences!