“Good value.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
South Carolina
“Good value.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Convenient location, comfortable and clean room . Free breakfast was surprisingly good with enough choice to please the average traveler. Only complaints we had was the lack of an elevator which should be noted in the description of amenities and disappointment with meager cable tv choices which did not include Fox News

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Reception was efficient and welcoming. The room was clean and well maintained. The linens were clean and the free WiFi signal excellent. The range of food at the complimentary breakfast was surprisingly wide. There was cereal, bagels, waffle-making, donuts, scrambled egg, several types of juice and of course coffee.

We stayed there during a trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Guatemala City, Guatemala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was my first Sleep Inn experience and I came away favorably impressed with this location.

1. The room was clean and comfortable, no strange smells and adequately furnished with a television, microwave, mini-refrigerator, iron and ironing board. It had good lighting in the right places and a quiet A/C and heating unit that kept the room at a nice, even temperature. The decor is a bit dated and could stand some refurbishing in a few spots but there was nothing unsightly about my third-floor room.

2. The bed was very comfortable and linens were clean and fresh-smelling. I had no trouble getting a good night's sleep.

3. The bath was shower only but the shower stall was not at all cramped. There was plenty of hot water. The separate vanity area had a large mirror, hair dryer and basic toiletries. Plenty of towels, replaced daily in spite of my hanging them on the towel racks

4. The breakfast room itself was a bit Spartan looking, but the food selection was quite surprising in its variety: eggs and sausage, bagels, biscuits (and gravy, even!), yogurt, fresh fruit, small pastries and donuts, and a waffle maker were easily accessible. Coffee, milk and several fruit juices completed the menu. No, there wasn't a chef standing by to custom-prepare your favorite whites-only-with-goat-cheese-and-organic-herbs omelet, but...this IS a hotel for the budget-minded, after all. I've no complaints about the breakfasts.

5. The people at reception were very friendly from check-in until check-out. I never passed by their work stations without receiving a smile and a friendly greeting. And I never saw the reception desk without an employee, which gave me a sense of reasonable security.

6. Overall atmosphere was about average. My room was close to the top of the stairway from the lobby so at night I could hear muffled conversation and incoming phone calls, but this never happened past 10PM so again I have no real complaint, although next time I think I'll ask for a room a bit farther down the hall. There was no noticeable traffic noise, no slamming doors, nothing that was a true disturbance. The hotel's location isn't in the prettiest part of Roanoke so the view wasn't anything memorable, but the hotel really can't do much about that.

It's not luxurious, it's quite basic. It's not a resort setting, it's an economical hotel. But all in all my three nights were comfortable, enjoyable and fit easily within a frugal budget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bohemia, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Although I never got to stay there I was deeply disappointed to be charged a $100.00 cancellation fee. I was suppossed to arrive the weekend of Hurricane Sandy and quickly had to change plans. When I called, I explained that due to the hurricane and everything going on here on Long Island I forgot to cancel. I was pretty much toldtoo bad. I am coming back to Roanoke at the end of January to visit my dying brother, which was the initial reason for my first planned trip there in October, but will not stay here. I think under he circumstances a little compassion would have been nice. Enjoy the free $100.00 you got from me.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Website directions very misleading, Exit 143 off I-81 to exit Franklin Rd. What they don't say is Exit 143 takes you onto I 581 and you must travel 10 miles to the Franklin Rd exit. If you are not familiar with the area it is very misleading, as we wanted to be right off I-81. When we arrived late Sunday afternoon the desk clerk was laying on the couch in the lobby talking to a gentleman but she did get up to go behind the desk to check us in. When we explained to her about the directions and how it took us 30 minutes off I-81 her reply was we are off I 581,duh. Pretty poor customer service. My husband went back later to check how to get back in the morning and the gentleman the clerk had been talking to in the lobby gave him the correct directions. In the AM the clerk was very friendly, greeted us and asked us to advise the hotel if the directions were incorrect, so we are advising they are not very clear. Bathroon fan in room very noisy, room was average. Mexican restaurant next door great food and service. Would not say here again due to location.(not off I-81)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I booked a room on their online web site for 2 nights ( Thurs and Fri), using my credit card. We We checked in, showed our confirmation email that listed our names, type of room, dates and total price, which was $136. including taxes. The room was as advertised, but, on the morning we were to leave, a piece of paper was slipped under our door stating " special room rate...$99 Thursday, $108 Friday, plus taxes. There was no total on the paper, nor the amount of taxes. I went to the front desk clerk to question changing the rate after we had paid and stayed... charging retroactively. I was told that this was now the cost of the room. I asked to speak to the manager, and the clerk phoned her. The manager said she would look into it after the weekend. I said I wanted this resolved today, she hung up.. A few days later, we are home from our vacation and i check our credit card online . I find that on `0/6 Sleep Inn charged our card $136, on 10/8 Sleep Inn charged $99, on 10/10 , $108. We stayed at Sleep Inn, 10/4 and 10/5, leaving the morning of the 6th. BEWARE, they raise the rates after you pay and keep charging your card. Yes, we contacted the credit card company and they took care of it.... but it was a hassle. Be careful, after you stay check several times to see what they charge your card. Be sure it is what you agreed to when you booked.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pekin, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I am from Southern Indiana and I was in a motor vehicle accident outside of Roanoke, VA, where my vehicle was totaled and I was taken to the hospital. I was released from the hospital late the night of the accident. The hospital gave me a list of hotels/motels in the local area. I called several places but I really couldn't afford a lot. I spoke to Chris at the Sleep Inn Tanglewood on the phone and I asked him if they could give me a discount due to the fact of just getting out of the hospital. Chris was very polite and helpful. I was in a lot of pain and very out of it but Chris was so pleasant and reassuring. I had to wait to make arrangements for someone to come pick me up as I had to have a person with a pickup to go to the towing yard where my vehicle was taken and clean out all of my personal property. The staff of the Sleep Inn was very friendly and very helpful during my 3 nights stay. The room was very clean and comfortable, the breakfast was good, it was an excellent experience especially concerning the situation I was in. Thank you!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
CHRIS_FRANCISCO, General Manager at Sleep Inn Tanglewood, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you! I'm glad to hear you had a great stay. I'm glad that I could assist you with lodging needs during your troubled time.

Been to Sleep Inn Tanglewood? Share your experiences!