“bilked out of $100.00” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Bohemia, New York
“bilked out of $100.00”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Although I never got to stay there I was deeply disappointed to be charged a $100.00 cancellation fee. I was suppossed to arrive the weekend of Hurricane Sandy and quickly had to change plans. When I called, I explained that due to the hurricane and everything going on here on Long Island I forgot to cancel. I was pretty much toldtoo bad. I am coming back to Roanoke at the end of January to visit my dying brother, which was the initial reason for my first planned trip there in October, but will not stay here. I think under he circumstances a little compassion would have been nice. Enjoy the free $100.00 you got from me.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Website directions very misleading, Exit 143 off I-81 to exit Franklin Rd. What they don't say is Exit 143 takes you onto I 581 and you must travel 10 miles to the Franklin Rd exit. If you are not familiar with the area it is very misleading, as we wanted to be right off I-81. When we arrived late Sunday afternoon the desk clerk was laying on the couch in the lobby talking to a gentleman but she did get up to go behind the desk to check us in. When we explained to her about the directions and how it took us 30 minutes off I-81 her reply was we are off I 581,duh. Pretty poor customer service. My husband went back later to check how to get back in the morning and the gentleman the clerk had been talking to in the lobby gave him the correct directions. In the AM the clerk was very friendly, greeted us and asked us to advise the hotel if the directions were incorrect, so we are advising they are not very clear. Bathroon fan in room very noisy, room was average. Mexican restaurant next door great food and service. Would not say here again due to location.(not off I-81)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I booked a room on their online web site for 2 nights ( Thurs and Fri), using my credit card. We We checked in, showed our confirmation email that listed our names, type of room, dates and total price, which was $136. including taxes. The room was as advertised, but, on the morning we were to leave, a piece of paper was slipped under our door stating " special room rate...$99 Thursday, $108 Friday, plus taxes. There was no total on the paper, nor the amount of taxes. I went to the front desk clerk to question changing the rate after we had paid and stayed... charging retroactively. I was told that this was now the cost of the room. I asked to speak to the manager, and the clerk phoned her. The manager said she would look into it after the weekend. I said I wanted this resolved today, she hung up.. A few days later, we are home from our vacation and i check our credit card online . I find that on `0/6 Sleep Inn charged our card $136, on 10/8 Sleep Inn charged $99, on 10/10 , $108. We stayed at Sleep Inn, 10/4 and 10/5, leaving the morning of the 6th. BEWARE, they raise the rates after you pay and keep charging your card. Yes, we contacted the credit card company and they took care of it.... but it was a hassle. Be careful, after you stay check several times to see what they charge your card. Be sure it is what you agreed to when you booked.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pekin, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I am from Southern Indiana and I was in a motor vehicle accident outside of Roanoke, VA, where my vehicle was totaled and I was taken to the hospital. I was released from the hospital late the night of the accident. The hospital gave me a list of hotels/motels in the local area. I called several places but I really couldn't afford a lot. I spoke to Chris at the Sleep Inn Tanglewood on the phone and I asked him if they could give me a discount due to the fact of just getting out of the hospital. Chris was very polite and helpful. I was in a lot of pain and very out of it but Chris was so pleasant and reassuring. I had to wait to make arrangements for someone to come pick me up as I had to have a person with a pickup to go to the towing yard where my vehicle was taken and clean out all of my personal property. The staff of the Sleep Inn was very friendly and very helpful during my 3 nights stay. The room was very clean and comfortable, the breakfast was good, it was an excellent experience especially concerning the situation I was in. Thank you!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
CHRIS_FRANCISCO, General Manager at Sleep Inn Tanglewood, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you! I'm glad to hear you had a great stay. I'm glad that I could assist you with lodging needs during your troubled time.
Earlysville, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I checked into the Sleep Inn and found it clean and comfortable. As I looked up at the ceiling of rm 235 I noticed within the popcorn textured ceiling were Satanic symbols! I am very familiar with these symbols and know exactly what the are.Choice Priledges customer service was rude to say the least The only helpful person was the young lady working the front desk. I quickly checked out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
CHRIS_FRANCISCO, Sleep Inn Customer Care at Sleep Inn Tanglewood, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
I am Very sorry to here that your stay with us here at Sleep Inn Tanglewood of Roanoke, VA was everything but satisfying. We are truly sorry for the issues that you encountered during your stay with us. I would like to mention that we have looked into this situation and it has been taken care of. We hope that your next time passing, you will stop by and give us a chance to make things right for you.
Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Had a good stay, clean and comfortable, easy access from Blue Ridge Pkwy. Front desk very nice and knowledgeable of the area. Gave great info on places to eat close by. Room was quiet, clean, beds were great. The lady over the breakfast in the lobby was great. She talked with the customers, kept the area spotless, could tell she had pride in her work.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
CHRIS_FRANCISCO, Customer Care at Sleep Inn Tanglewood, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you kindly for your great feedback concerning your stay. We do strive to provide all guests top quality Customer Service and I'm glad to see that you received that! Next time you are traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway, be sure to stop back in and take full advantage of our soon to be fully Renovated hotel! Thank you again for your Positive Feedback.
Purcellville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The moment we walked into the lobby, the smell of cigarette smoke was strong. We had a non-smoking room, and the room itself actually didn't smell like smoke, but the entire lobby and hallway was smoke infested. The biggest complaint I have is the they put the exercise room on the second floor ABOVE guest rooms, which happened to be above us. It sounded like a herd of elephants in that room and when I called to complain, they said it was the exercise room and that the room was open 24 hours! What moron puts an exercise room on the second floor? DON'T stay in room 228!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
CHRIS_FRANCISCO, Customer Care at Sleep Inn Tanglewood, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for your Comment "Rgarib". We do have a Issue with the excersise room being on the top floor, with that being said we are in the process of moving the fitness room to the main floor. I'm sorry that you encountered this issue during your stay. If you pass through Roanoke again, We would love to have the opportunity to make it up to you.

Been to Sleep Inn Tanglewood? Share your experiences!