“Fails me everytime!” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 119 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: In the tradition of Italy's trattorias, the sight, sounds and aromas of authentic Italian cuisine are recreated fresh everyday at Il Fornaio. Literally "the baker" in Italian, Il Fornaio offers wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade and imported pastas; pizzas from a wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch. The first two weeks of each month a special menu from a different region of Italy is featured as part of Festa Regionale.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fails me everytime!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Oh I hate writing this, but this particular Il Fornaio location never meets my expectations. After multiple visits, I've just learned to lower the bar. For those of you in the know, you will recognize Il Fornaio as a west coast eatery - started in Marin County, California. I have never had a bad mean in any of the California locations, but this location does not hold a candle to its west coast sisters. I'm just not sure why...... which is why I keep giving it another chance. The food is never very good, often bland, or under/overcooked. What I will say is the bar area is very nice, and they do have a great charcuterie/cheese plate and solid wine list - so go for wine and cheese, if you need a meal, I suggest one of the other town center restaurants.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Joel B, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
We apologize for your bad experience with us and will use this review to guide our restaurant to better service with future guests. Next time you dine with us please email me directly at jbarajas@ilfo.com so I can personally make sure it is more pleasant.

Reston, Virginia
“Good food, fairly expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I live in the area and go here periodically. I love the food, everything I've ever had has been tasty and well made. I tend to order the pastas with red sauce or flatbreads. It is somewhat expensive, but high quality. I've had several business lunches here over the last couple of years and every person has enjoyed it.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
We appreciate your great review and are pleased to hear you enjoyed the food. If you enjoy the food on our regular menu, you should dine with us for our monthly regional menu. We hope to see you soon!
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Service and More!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

After living most of my life in northern VA and having travelled to places known for Italian food such as New York City, San Francisco, and Italy, the Italian restaurants in the Washington D.C. metro area typically leave a lot to be desired. il Fornaio in Reston, VA is the only Italian restaurant I have found in the area that seems to understand what really makes Italian food good. Beyond the food they have an excellent wine list – two separate lists, 1) an everyday selection (average prices) and 2) a reserve list that offers higher end wines. What would good wine and food be without good wine glasses? A trend I have seen in the D.C. area which il Forniao does not participate in is serving wine in sub-standard wine glasses. At il Fornaio you will find proper stemware, full-size wine glasses, and the rim is not beveled! But I have yet to mention the best part of il Fornaio – the service. The manager Joel and all of his staff are to be commended on their outstanding level of professionalism and their attention to detail with customer service. They will accommodate any request, greatly value your business, and treat you as such. I highly recommend this restaurant. If you want good service, good Italian food, and good wine – you must go!

• Visited August 2013
We really appreciate your feedback- if you enjoy our fine selection of wines you should join us for our monthly wine tastings and wine dinners. We will recognize our staff for their hard work. Please let us know next time you dine with us so we can make your experience even better!
Reston, Virginia
“Uninspiring and bland”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Not to mention awfully loud just about everywhere in the restaurant. I had better minestrone soup from a can and the pasta was cheap and overcooked. Stay away from Il Fornaio. Cantina d'Italia and Luciano's in Herndon are better.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Joel B, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
We are very sorry to hear that your experience with us did not go as expected and the food did not come out in superior condition. Please email me directly at jbarajas@ilfo.com so we can make your next dining experience with us more enjoyable.
New Jersey
“Great private party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a private family function for 35 people in August at Il Fornaio. We had booked the event after looking at several places in Reston and speaking with different banquet sales people. Sara at Il Fornaio was very helpful with suggestions, and was always prompt with returning my emails or calls. The event went great. The venue, food, and service was great. We had many compliments from other family members, and if I had to do it over I wouldn't have changed anything. I recommend highly.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Joel B, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your event! We will share this review with Sara to recognize her efforts. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review, feel free to email me directly at jbarajas@ilfo.com next time you dine with us to make your experience as wonderful as the last.