“Correction to my first review” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 131 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: In the tradition of Italy's trattorias, the sight, sounds and aromas of authentic Italian cuisine are recreated fresh everyday at Il Fornaio. Literally "the baker" in Italian, Il Fornaio offers wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade and imported pastas; pizzas from a wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch. The first two weeks of each month a special menu from a different region of Italy is featured as part of Festa Regionale.
Reston, Virginia
“Correction to my first review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I first reviewed this restaurant back in February and was not super impressed. I don't know if I ordered the wrong item or maybe it was an off night, but they sure redeemed themselves in my three subsequent visits. The tagliata chianina is my favorite entree on the menu hands down. The conchiglie al pollo is also another great dish. I look forward to returning soon.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Joel B, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
We really appreciate your fantastic review! We are glad you love the tagliata chianina as much as we do. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to change your mind about Il Fornaio! Next time you dine with us, please let us know so we can make the experience even more enjoyable!

Palatine, Illinois
“Good Italian Food in the Reston Town Center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The salad was very good, but the pasta was over cooked and the sauce was just OK. The service was nice, but not as attentive as I would have liked. It was a very pleasant evening which allowed for outside dining, so I can't comment on the ambiance of the actual restaurant. I would go back again, but it is not my favorite place in the Reston Town Center.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Joel B, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Hi,

I would like to thank you for your feedback, it really means a lot to us, I'll share your comments with our staff and get sure we use your comments and use them to get better.

This upcoming Tuesday, at 5:30, we are hosting a special Wine and food tasting, and we'd like to invite you to our event (Complementary)

Please email me back at Jbarajas@ilfo.com
Macomb, Illinois
“Nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Overall this place just gets better and better. The food is good. Awesome spumoni!! Nice smoked salmon. The outdoor patio is getting better and better. Service is good too. So all in all, better than Clyde's, McCormick & Schmick's, Paulo's, or Tap Room.

Visited May 2013
Washington DC
“BAD”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I'd like to relate the story of what my wife and I experienced at Il Fornaio in the Reston Town Center, Reston Virginia on Sunday, May 19, 2013.

As you may be aware, this Sunday was the Reston Arts Festival at the Town Center. We spend a couple of hours touring the exhibits and then decided that pizza and salad at Il Fornaio would be a nice lunch to top off a pleasant day at the Arts Festival. Although my wife remembered that our most recent dinner expereince at Il Fornaio resulted in a bad evening with poor service and mediocre food, we decided to be fair and give it another try.

At approximately 1:05 pm, we found the restaurant to be nearly deserted despite the crowds attendant at the Arts Festival. We asked for, and were seated at an outside table. Our waiter came by and asked for drink orders. We asked only for water, with lemon. He quickly delivered the water and a bread basket. We were ready to order, and ordered a pizza and a house salad. We didn't see him again until 20 to 30 minutes later when he brought 4 lemon wedges for our water. In the meantime, people had been seated in front of and behind our table, after we were seated. They ordered and were served, while we waited for our order, which had been given before their arrivals. We did not see our waiter except when he served the other tables. He finally stopped at our table when I asked him about our order, at this point about 45 minutes after we ordered. He said that he had checked with the chef and it would be right out. We did not see him again. At approximately 2:10 pm, we decided to leave the restaurant, as there was no sign that our lunch would be delivered, and since our "nice afternoon lunch at Il Fornaio" was already dead in the water. Our previous experience at Il Fornaio proved to be the rule. I saw the waiter on our way out, and informed him that we were leaving. I even offered to pay for the bottled water, which he said was not necessary. He apologized - we do not hold him responsible, although he could have been more pro-active in keeping us informed of the kitchen's progress and in moving the kitchen to produce what I assume is a fairly simple meal to prepare.

There are too many good dining choices in the Reston area, and throughout the Washington DC area to spend further time at Il Fornaio, and I assure you that we will not visit again, nor will we recommend it to others, although we will discourage anyone who asks about dining there.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Washington, Virginia
“A really pleasant experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We dined at Il Fornaio for Mother's day. It was the fifth or sixth visit for us in the last two years. These folks consistently get enough right to make eating there a very pleasant experience. On this occasion the food was very good, on other occasions it has been excellent; the service was excellent, it has at other times been just very good; and the wines and alcoholic beverages are uniformly first rate. In the past we've tried their regional menus and they were also very interesting.

• Visited May 2013