“Average Italian” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 130 restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: In the tradition of Italy's trattorias, the sight, sounds and aromas of authentic Italian cuisine are recreated fresh everyday at Il Fornaio. Literally "the baker" in Italian, Il Fornaio offers wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade and imported pastas; pizzas from a wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch. The first two weeks of each month a special menu from a different region of Italy is featured as part of Festa Regionale.
Reston, Virginia
“Average Italian”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Nothing special, it is better than Paolos in the town center but I'd recommend going to Vienna to Bonarti.

Visited October 2012
Joel B, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Buon Giorno,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear about your experience at Il Fornaio in Reston. We strive to provide a great experience for every guest and appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention.

We would like to invite you and a guest to come in again at no cost to see for yourself that we have taken your feedback seriously and that we are capable of providing a much better dining experience.

Please contact me directly if you are open to revisiting our restaurant.

Mille grazie,
Joel Barajas
jbarajas@ilfo.com

64% Recommend
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“great food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The food was amazing and the service was excellent. The Bread served at the table was fresh baked and tasted amazing. I was there for lunch and it was great.

Visited February 2013
Washington, dc
“Outstanding Service, but average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was the second time we've dined at Il Fornaio. the first time was several years ago when it first opened. At that time, my impression was that the service was good but the food was overpriced. My impression has not changed. First, We had an 8pm Friday nite reservation, and showed up 20 minutes early. The hostess had no problem seating us early. Our waiter was superb and made our dining experience a pleasant one. We tried one of the wine specials, a super tuscan, that was very good. My wife had a spinach ravioli with sausage and arrabiatta sauce, that was fine, but my chicken and spinach canelloni was very average and very gloppy with cheese and bechamel sauce. The pasta entrees were around $18 each while our salads were around$10 each. While the atmosphere was nice, there are too many restaurants at the Reston Town Center to serve average food. Go elsewhere if you are looking for good Italian food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sterling, Virginia
“A Wonderful Wine Tasting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Spent Saturday afternoon with 20 colleagues and friends for a wine tasting/farewell party. We had a great time!! We had a quieter part of the restaurant and the staff was very attentive. They arranged for us to taste five wines and provided food pairings. There was a person that explained the wines and the aging process. It was a wonderful way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon. Several of us then went to the bar and spent time telling stories and laughing. The bartenders were very nice and attentive. I would recommend and attend this type of afternoon again.

My friends love this place and attend happy hour almost every week. I am definitely going to give this a try as well.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Waterford, Virginia, United States
“Special Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I arrived at 11:45am, promptly seated at table for four, and we appreciated the extra room. Our service was exactly what we wanted as we were in no rush. There were several tables of business lunch diners around us and they ate and left while we were still enjoying our lunches. Our server was attentive but not at all pushy.

We started with a fried veggie app... Would have enjoyed more artichoke, overall okay app. Next time I'd get the carpaccio as I've had it here before and it's excellent. We both ordered from the lunch special menu. I had the Rissotto Umbro, it was good... My wife ordered the sole in red pepper sauce... It was fantastic!!!! Perfectly cooked, excellent flavor. I would go back just for that dish. For dessert we shared an apple crepe, also excellent.

Overall we enjoyed and would recommend for lunch for either couples or business.