“Fresh, generous portions plus great staff” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Ashburn, VA
“Fresh, generous portions plus great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have always found the staff to be very responsive - Amro is the BEST. Not sure about all the dishes because we tend to order the same things - 3 sauce fajita burrito & a sizzling steak fajita salad with jalapeno vinaigrette. We go out of our way just to have the opportunity to enjoy these dishes. We also love the Guacamole Live! And, the salsa is very good. An occasional margarita really hits the spot - try it.

• Visited April 2013

59% Recommend
Reston, Virginia
“This is my wife's and in-law's favorite restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I'm giving the excellent review because it's our favorite restaurant. The prices are reasonable for the area and the food is pretty good. There are a few entrees we didn't like (the chicken empenadas) but that may be a matter of taste. We get great service perhaps because the staff knows us and we tip well. My wife and in-laws are in love with the outdoor patio. We don't see an outdoor patio anywhere else other than Reston Town Center which is in a different price range. There's a great happy hour at the bar and patio.

• Visited April 2013
Oak Hill, Virginia, United States
“Food decent, service consistently horrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I like the food at On The Border and think the prices are a good value. The problem is that the service consistently stinks. Every time I go, I say I won't go back because the service is so bad. My kids convince me to return from time to time, but the consistently bad services never changes.

First, the good of our recent visit. I was very pleased with the special spinach and mushroom quesadillas because vegetarian options are very limited at On The Border. They were good and chock full of spinach! Now the bad of our recent meal, last week. We had a server in training who was being "shadowed" by an "experienced" server. They told us to expect our food in 10-15 minutes. It took at least double that and was delivered by someone else altogether. We asked the server who brought our food for a glass of water and some additional salsa. Neither came. We tried flagging down one of our two servers for at least 15 minutes before my son and mother physically tracked them down. At that point, we were almost done with our meals so no longer needed salsa, but our son was in discomfort without water during his entire meal (the salsa is yummy but spicy). We then had to ask for the complimentary dessert that accompanies the kids meals and again had to wait and wait.

On a previous visit, I ordered something on the menu (some kind of seafood enchiladas) that I was told were no longer available in spite of being on the menu. I then had to come up with something else to order and they don't offer many vegetarian options. Instead of the cheese enchiladas I ordered, a received chicken enchiladas. By the time we meal arrived, I had to box it up because the rest of our family was finished with their meals. The manager removed the cost of my meal and apologetic, but I wasn't happy leaving hungry.

Every time we go to this restaurant, the service stinks. Frankly, I'm over it at this point. If they can't improve their service, I don't know how they will stay in business.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Good Food, Low Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We went to this restaurant while visiting the area on a weekend. They were busy but we got seated within 10 minutes. Our food took a while, mine was fresh and hot and very tasty. My wife's order was cold. She sent it back and got another order that was delivered by the manager within a few minutes. This time it was very hot and cooked perfectly. Other than that, I really have no complaints. Furthermore the manager took my wife's order off the bill, so I really can't complain. Our dinners were very fresh and both very tasty.

The restaurant was clean and comfortable and the service was good and the people friendly.

We would return if in the area again.

• Visited December 2012
labtec359
“You are white, receive the best courteous service, rest... sit at the back of the bus.!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Worst of the worst of service experience ever!.. the place should be called "Only the Whites Border".
I used to come here regularly, but now it a total dump hole.
Food is alright but when the bar/waiter treat you like dirt, then the whole food goes to hell.
Sat at the bar and we were the only patron. Cocktail tables were 1/3 full, I relaxed and gave the bartender benefit of the doubt of being busy. Little did I noticed that after lengthy time went by, she was serving and taking orders only from white tables first and giving them the best service. Didn't get chips, salsa, or silverware until the food came out. When I asked for them, she rolled her eyes at me. I really wasn't going to complain there until a white guy sat next to me, then she served him within 2 min of sitting with drink orders, fresh chip & salsa, silverware, and menu. I let it go first time, but when another white dude sat on the other side of the bar, with same prompt service, I gave up. "Minorities are NOT welcome at the bar. Or Sit at the back and wait, WHITES first." can be read CLEARLY.

• Visited September 2012