“For local or business dining, a good choice....”
Review of Big Bowl Asian Kitchen

Certificate of Excellence 2013
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: The Reston Town Center.
Reserve with OpenTable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.

71% Recommend
There are newer reviews for Big Bowl Asian Kitchen
DC Area
“For local or business dining, a good choice....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

In writing reviews here on TripAdvisor I try to post time to time on local places when possible to give options for travelers. While friends have been there many times, this was my first visit. And wish I had visited sooner. There is something for everyone on the menu. All well prepared. The only downside is the trend for restaurants to go for interiors that are loud. It was hard for us to have a quiet conversation. But looking forward to going back.

For frequent dinners, do sign up for Lettuce Entertain You (the corporate owner) rewards program. A number of restaurants under their brand - and their reward program is actual cash you can use for future dinners.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“If you have dietary restrictions or allergies, be careful dining at Big Bowl!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have dined at Big Bowl many times. I always get a selection from their Stir Fry bar. They have a couple of vegan sauces to pick from - I usually go with the Vegetarian Ginger Soy sauce, but I have also had the Vegetarian Green Curry sauce.

I understand that mistakes can happen - we're all human. It has happened more than once in the past, and I have made them aware, but I've let it go - and dined there again.

Today, we ordered the Stir Fry bar, picking the Vegetarian Ginger Soy sauce, and brown rice. We also ordered the Spicy Thai Green Vegetable Curry with brown rice.

The latter came out with white rice instead of brown rice, which isn't a big deal. They were happy to provide brown rice.

But the Stir Fry order was the cause for real concern. After both my son and I took a couple of bites from this dish, I noticed the peanuts - and realized that they had prepared the dish with the Kung Pao sauce. I made our waitress aware. I know she took the order correctly, because I saw the slip I dropped off after picking my vegetables. It was the chef that made a mistake.

The cause for concern is that my son is allergic to peanuts. Not to the degree that he can't be around them - I can eat peanuts or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich next to him, and he will be just fine. But he ate a couple peanut m&m's once and ended up in the emergency room, all covered in hives.

To their credit, the manager was very apologetic and offered to comp our meal when I spoke with him. But I told him that this has happened one time too many. And we are done dining here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“unexpected find”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Found the Big Bowl while exploring "Reston Town Center" and our party of five was quickly seated in the nearly empty dining room about 7PM on a Tuesday night. We would have liked to sit outside in the delightful spring evening, but there were no tables for a party of our size so we were seated right next to the vegetable display. The dining room filled very shortly with families and couples. The menu has lots of choices but the overall all theme is fresh food available in a variety of Asian cooking styles. There is a pretty long list of beers, but not all were available and one that I tried, something like "Duck Rabbit brown ale" was not very good. However, the food was delicious! Potstickers were hot, tasty, and not overly dough-y; complimentary wontons were a great mouth watering treat. My favorite was the DanDan Mei, described erroneously as a Chinese bolognese. My bowl was filed with sliced vegetables still crisp, covered in a spicy ground pork sauce, and more than generous. Our party of five left very happy with our selections.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“One of my go-to places”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I love Big Bowl! Asian fusion cuisine at its best! THey have everything from curries, to Mongolian barbeque, and can tweak any meal to be as spicy as you'd like. The spicy Thai mojito is just awesome! Prices here are very good, and the portions are so big you can usually make two meals out of each dish.

Visited May 2013
Herndon, Virginia
“Cool Asian restaurant in RTC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

It was our first experience dining at the Big Bowl located in Reston Town Center on a Friday night. Luckily, we played safe and made online reservations before we reached. And boy we were happy. The wait would have been pretty overwhelming. Our family of 5 was served within minutes. My daughter opted for the Stir fry bar, while we chose their menu offerings. We ordered steak and noodles, Thai hot pepper with chicken, basil and peanuts and the spicy Thai vegetable curry. The food was awesome. Loved the steak and the noddles. The curries were spicy enough to suit our Asian taste buds (yes, we didn't need to substitute the spice with any hot sauce.) The stir fry bar was OK -- nothing worth raving about.

Apart from the food, the decor is upscale -- perfect for a girls' night out, family night or even for a date (however, finding a quiet corner might be tad bit difficult...)

Loved it. Recommended.