“Good Food – Poor Value – Poor Management” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
McCormick & Schmick's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 129 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Bluemont
McLean, Virginia
“Good Food – Poor Value – Poor Management”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Overall did not have a good experience. I called two weeks in advance to reserve table for 14. Asked about private or semi-private room. Was told banquet manager would call. One week later and no call. My guess is that the person who took my first call did not write it down – she did not seem to be listening very well. I went to the restaurant’s web site and completed a banquet request form. I also completed a reservation via Open Table since I had not received a call back. Three days from event and still no call back on banquet request. Called to confirm reservation and ask about room. Was told no private room available due to busy night, which is understandable. Received confirmation email on table reservation. The banquet manager called the day of the reservation to confirm no private room available, but that we would be in a semi-private room with another group – OK.

Night of event. Four or five of our group arrived ½ hour early and were seated, which was nice. The waiter was very friendly. Throughout the evening the drinks took on average 10+ minutes to be served, which is slow. When main group arrived we ordered and the meal came at an acceptable time (15-20 minutes).

Food quality was good – I would say 2.5 out of 5 stars. Value not so good. I had a $28 entrée and the portion size was very small compared to similar entrée at similar price at another restaurant in the same category as M&S. I left hungry.

Halfway through the meal the temperature in the room started to drop. It got so cold people put their jackets on. I spoke to the waiter who initially said nothing could be done, but then asked a manager to turn on the heat, which they did, but it did not warm up by the time we left. It was interesting to note another waiter walked into our room and said, “Man, it is cold in here”. My thought is that they shut the heat off early to save utilities, but it was only 7:30 PM. They should not turn off the heat until the room is clear. Poor management decision.

Summary – Good Food – Poor Value – Poor Management (Due to slow call-back and heating decision). I definitely will not use this restaurant for a future group event.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Not impressed, overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

For prices like these, I would expect better service, better food, and a more quiet atmosphere. It was not crowded, but the bar noise carried everywhere. Even though it wasn't crowded the service was slow and the waiter's accent prevented him from being understood. The popular Halibut he recommended was dry and didn't taste good and was returned. The crust on the apple pie was barely cooked, soft and mushy. I agree with the previous reviewer who called it upscale pub food. But entrees then should not cost $32. (The salad cost extra). We have no compelling reason to return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
NC
“Wonderful dinner with outstanding service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had an excellent dinner here with friends. M & S is located in the Reston Town Center, a great place to visit in its own right. We found the service, ambiance, presentation, and taste all top notch. This is a special occasion restaurant with prices to match.

Visited April 2013
Reston
“Dinner with Friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Love the private booths for celebrating with friends a family - did I mention that the seafood is fresh?

Visited November 2013
Potomac Falls, VA
“In Appreciation: Well done!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

M&S is the only primary venue we frequent that hosts Veterans the Sunday nearest 11/11. It's become a tradition and we typically invite service-connected friends to join us. While vets order from a special menu, it's replete with standard selections on the larger menu and we typically find appetizers, etc. to supplement the entree. Service is always fine at M&S, but there's a better, more respectful tone at the Veterans' Day meal. It isn't missed on our other visits, just noted when it's obvious.
A sincere "Thank you" to the management, the staff, and the Landry's corporation for starting and continuing a tradition.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere