“Novelty Dining” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Honolulu
“Novelty Dining”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I invited my college age niece and her boyfriend to dinner and although they thought it was fun, I did not enjoy my dining experience. I held our couch seating while they stood in line for food. Once they came back, I leftt and stood in line for my order. We basically ate in shifts. No one cleared tables or cleaned them.
Won't go back in the future, although the food itself is fine.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Reston, Virginia, United States
“Bizarre Seating Ruins Great Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Tried it twice. Hated the experience. Very painful. This place is an open seating nightmare. You have to guard your territory with weaponry and barbed wire and yet at the same time go stand in line for each station that you want food from. If you can get through all that you end up with an occasionally excellent dish in the middle of lots of good ones. If you like the bar scene, but want better food, this is the place for you.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
“Visit to Vapiano in February, 2013”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was in Reston for some conferences and couldn't get into my restaurant of 1st choice, so my friend and I went to Vapiano. It's an unusual place. They have open seating and no servers. Instead, you get a smart card that you take to the order counter and when you ask the chef for your menu choice, he loads the price on your card. You then wait and watch him prepare your chosen dish for you. Soft drinks are self service as well. When you are finished, you return to the front of the restaurant with your card and proceed to "check out." Well, I chose from the Pasta Gruppo D list, the Scampi E Spinaci. It was OK, I suppose, but a bit bland for my tastes. Quite an unusual place with an unusual concept, but I don't think I'd care to return.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Reston, Virginia
“Good if not busy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

When it gets busy the lines can be annoying. When I want to go out to dinner I don't want to stand and watch my dinner being cooked after waiting in a long line. With that said, the food is pretty delicious.

Visited September 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“You must try this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our third visit to Vapiano in Reston,VA. It is an unusual and very effective model - customers order food - fast food style in a queue - the food is then cooked freshly for each diner. The salad with prawns, cheese and fennel is a must! All the pasta dishes we've had have been good too. It is a good place to eat in a small group - it may not be so good for a large group or a date given that it does not have table service. Fast food style - nice surroundings - fantastic food.

• Visited February 2013