“Short but sweet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston

You added Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12190 Sunset Hills Road, Reston, VA 20190 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Reston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia
“Short but sweet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

I needed a hotel near the Reston Hospital that permitted pets. Homestead Suites turned out to be perfect. The room was comfortable, reasonably priced, very clean and the kitchenette made it extremely convenient. It looked over the courtyard which was nicely landscaped and well maintained and added a hominess to the stay. Also, kudos to the office staff for their courtesy and helpfulness.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

I'll totally admit it. I was NOT expecting that much from this hotel. I've stayed at a myriad of different hotels, and some hotels were wonderful, while others were just okay.

When my mom and I first stepped into the room, I saw a nice-looking room, although there were a few things that I noticed rather quickly when we first came in. If we had any problems at all, they were fixed almost instantaneously. Having been in a few of the sort of hotels that even roaches would fear to tread (only a few, however), I was very impressed with the speed of which any issue we had was resolved. I was also impressed with the helpfulness of the staff, and I was even more impressed by how friendly the staff at the front desk were.

My mom and I tend to go to Reston a lot, and she and I were both quite impressed with the hotel and its convenient location to the places that we like to go.

If I were given a choice to stay at this hotel or anywhere else in the Reston area, this would be the hotel I'd choose. I cannot rate their service highly enough.

• Stayed January 2010
NC mtns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

The customer service here is equal to that of an international five-star hotel. Tilma Ramos at the front desk is superb; hospitable, professional, efficient, and warm. All of the staff we met were terrific. Minor problems were ironed out literally within minutes. Our room was spacious and comfortable; and the kitchenette was set up for easy access and comfort. Everything was beautifully clean. It is a five minute drive to Reston Towne Centre and other shops and restaurants; there are also restaurants literally a one-minute walk away. It was less expensive than other hotels in the area and equally as comfortable. Great value. We visit the Reston area at least three times each year and have stayed at a number of other hotels -- including a few that were double the price -- and this is definitely where we'll stay from now on. While cleanliness, comfort, and value are all very important, customer service is what makes a great hotel, and the Homewood Studio Suites (Extended Stay) in Reston has it all.

• Stayed January 2010
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

Thes service was great and the price was right for the location. The room was very clean and the community center is right next door. Plenty of restuarants in walking distance and close to Dulles tollway. You do have to pay for internet access which is disappointing, but it is only a one time fee so if you have an extended stay it is worth it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
North Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

I was tired, and didn't put a lot of effort into making hotel reservations. The next day my girlfriend told me that this hotel was the worst rated hotel in the area. Afterwards, I read several reviews from multiple websites. The number of bad reviews outnumbered the good reviews. The good reviews didn't state why they liked the hotel. I was a little suspicious.

I don't know about everyone elses experience, but let me tell you about mine. I was dreading staying seven nights in this hotel after reading several bad reviews. My attitude quickly changed when I saw the condition of the hotel, was helped by the friendly staff, and saw the condition of my room.

Although this hotel may only be a one or two star hotel, it had the conveniences that I was looking for.

The room was very clean. The room included a small kitchen area containing: a microwave, 2 burner stove, large refrigerator, pots, pans, dishes, silverware, glasses, and a sink. I needed additional dishes, and the front desk got them right away! I saved a lot of money cooking some of my own meals.

Other items in the room included a king size bed ( not very firm); a couch; a television (Not HDTV nor large screen); a kitchen area; and a bathroom.

EVERYTHING WAS CLEAN

They have a laundry onsite open 24 hours daily. Very reasonable prices.

YMCA --- Free Pass
The hotel gave me a free pass to the new YMCA next door. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to workout there. The YMCA has a pool, offers various classes, and much more.

CONS:
You have to pay $4.99 daily for internet connectivity. I think this is silly! Fortunately, I have a wireless network card and I can get internet connectivity anywhere.

No Pool! No Problem ... Go next door to the free YMCA.

The bed may not be that comfortable for some people. I am 6'4'' and it was acceptable not luxurious.

Other than this I cannot think of many cons.

GREAT AREA!!
This area is very convenient!! There is a Target across the street. Right next door there is a PotBellys sandwich shop, Chick Fillet, Chipolte, local bank, YMCA, and Gas station. Each location was new. I enjoyed the outside patio of each restaurant.

Instead of renting a car, I took a bus right across the street.

As you can tell, I expected the terrible but I received EXCELLENCE.

I stayed there seven days. I WILL STAY THERE AGAIN!!
I highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Liked — Convenience to shopping, and businesses. Price. Cleanliness. Hotel Staff. Amenities.
  • Disliked — I liked everything. But if I had to choose something I didn't like that much it would be the bed was only adequate.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manager20190, Hotel Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston, responded to this review, April 10, 2009
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Homestead Washington, D.C. - Reston. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Additionally, you can always book the best rate on nearly 700 hotels across the U.S. and in Canada on our website. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
Ayrshire, Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

I realise that hotels in Northern Virginia/DC metro area can be expensive and when the Homestead was consistently less than $80/night (and an awful lot newer than it is now) it was just about acceptable.

However, at $149 (plus tax) it is just a rip-off. The rooms are shabby and not 100% clean, the staff (if you ever see any) can't help with a lot of things (broken toilet, trouble with wifi) and I really don't care how much it saves, there is no excuse for single-ply toilet tissue.

To be honest, the toilet tissue sums the whole place up: functional but you would only ever choose it if you couldn't afford something better.

The only plus side is the proximity to Reston Town Center but that won't convince me to stay here again.

• Liked — Leaving it!
  • Disliked — The dead insects in the closet
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Washington, D.C. - Reston. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Manhattan Beach, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

There's not much you can say when you're only paying $49 for a hotel room....expect "You get what you pay for!"

This hotel was a good location for my purposes, visiting family in Reston. It's about a 10-15 minute taxi ride from Dulles, which was very convenient. And, of course, the price is extremely low.

I had a less than pleasant stay, however. I called the day before arriving to request an early check-in as I would be getting there very early, around 6am (red-eye from Los Angeles). They said no problem, a room should be ready early. When the taxi let me out in front of the office, it was locked, curtains drawn, and no one was answering the "24-hour" office phone number listed outside. I waited, in the dark, by myself, for about 20 minutes before waking my sister and her newborn daughter who had checked in the night before and crashing in their room. Another guest came down to the office while I was waiting, also waiting to check out. No idea what happened there -- as I went to sleep in my sister's room and wound up checking in at a more typical hour later on.

When I got to my room, I was disappointed to see that the refrigerator had been left slightly open, therefore it was warm and unusable for a while.

I was only there one night. I saw and killed about 12-15 beatles in the bathroom, coming from seemingly nowhere onto the bathroom tile. Who knows how many I didn't see.

This hotel is pretty much the most sub-standard place I've stayed -- having just enough to get by but not at all willing to make your stay even close to "pleasant." Extremely basic amenities like towels, blankets, etc -- but even those look and feel like they are 20 years old. Towels are paper-thin, comforter is almost untouchable, everything feels a bit too dirty and a bit too worn to really ever try to try to feel comfortable,.

Granted, this is only a $49-a-night-place -- but still. You should know what you're getting.

Is it a place I would completely avoid in the future? Let's put it this way - i would spend weeks trying to find another alternative and would pay triple just for the sheer comfort in knowing i wouldn't wonder what bugs I missed that might be crawling on me at night. BUT, if there was no other option, i might be able to do it again. Just depends on where your comfort level is and what you can tolerate, I guess.

Upon checkout I told the guy behind the desk about the check-in experience, and the bugs, and the fridge. He said he would note it so that housekeeping takes care of it. I asked him if, in return, and instead of helping OTHER future guests and instead helping ME, he would not charge the $5 for wireless that I owed. He agreed.

Stayed September 2007

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston? Share your experiences!